Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2012, 06:53 AM   #1
schwoomp
Mouseketeer

Carrying SLR camera ?

I would really like to carry my SLR camera in the parks. I am thinking of getting a small messenger or sling bag to carry that and a couple other things. Will I end up finding it to be more hassle to carry my camera than it's worth? I know there are some rides that will require me to use a locker (I probably wouldn't be going on every one of those whether I have a large camera or not), but would a bag that's bigger than a fanny pack but smaller than a backpack work for the majority of rides/attractions?

And that reminds me- do I need cash or coins for the lockers, or can I swipe a credit card?

Thank you!

WDW 3/01/09
DCL 6/27/10
Universal Spring Break 2012
schwoomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

There are about 6 rides across the 2 parks that require lockers for loose items larger than a small fanny pack. Only you can decide if using lockers for those rides is hassle enough. You should be okay on everything else, except for possibly Ripsaw Falls and Bilge Rat Barges, which get extremely wet and have optional lockers.

The lockers that are mandatory are free for a time tied to the expected wait time for their associated attraction. I recall being able to use a credit card for the optional ones on the wet rides. I've never used the day-long ones up at the front of each park, but I assume they're the same.
Mesaboy's DLR Trip Report -- The Quest To See Dumbo Fly

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
schwoomp
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the response. I hear ya- one person's hassle is another person's 'no big deal'. I guess I was just curious if others had carried a larger camera and felt like they were having to figure out what to do with it all the time. A friend of mind carried one at WDW a couple weeks ago and it didn't bother her, but she had a stroller to put it in from time to time. Worst case, if it gets to be heavy or too much of a bother, I guess I'll find a pay locker to stick it in for the rest of the day.

WDW 3/01/09
DCL 6/27/10
Old 02-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
Novinha
Mouseketeer

I just got back from my trip last week. We spent one day at Universal Studios and one day at Islands of Adventure. I didn't want the hassle of carrying my SLR around at Universal so I put it up in a locker up front ($8 all day fee) until we were done riding, then brought it back out. I hated not having my SLR with me all day. It made me really sad and I felt like I missed out on some great shots (we did have a point and shoot, but it's not the same as my "good" camera). The next day at Islands of Adventure, I decided to carry my SLR on me all day. Didn't bother me at all. The free lockers were easy to use any time we wanted to ride something that required them. And I loved having my SLR on me all day to get those amazing photos. I am super glad I had it for our early entry to Harry Potter. Next time I go to a Universal park, my SLR stays with me the entire time.
Novinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:25 AM   #5
Dixie K
JuJu Bug

Take your SLR!

I took my DSLR to Universal and got some awesome photos of "Hogwart's" with my 18-250mm go-to lens. It was a stormy day, so the storm clouds really made for an awesome background of the exterior castle shots. I will be taking my DSLR with me whenever I go again. I carry my camera in a Case Logic sling case, which I love! I wasn't too keen at first about having to put my camera in the locker at the Hogwart's ride, but it turned out to be no problem; in fact, we rode it twice that day. If you have a wide angle lens, I would bring it too. I did bring a small point and shoot for interior shots of the castle, which my husband kept in his buttoned pocket during the ride. We don't ride the "wet" rides, so I can't say what the conditions are like as far as having a DSLR on those rides.
Dixie K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #6
schwoomp
Mouseketeer

Thank you. The more I've thought about it, the more I think I will regret it if I don't have it with me. Worst case, I can walk it up to the front and put it in one of the lockers there. Now to decide what type of bag to carry it in!

WDW 3/01/09
DCL 6/27/10
Old 02-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #7
hawkeye680
Earning My Ears

You will regret not having it, as I think there are a lot of different opportunities for SLR-worthy pics.

Just a suggestion, look at the Maxpedition Jumbo Versapack. That's what I use and it does fit in those lockers. Mine sits in an SLR sleeve inside the bag but you should be able to find one of those easily.
hawkeye680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:07 AM   #8
MinnieForMe
DIS Veteran

Take your camera. I have a sling bag and I love it at home but in Florida, I found it easier to just wear my camera. We are doing Universal this year and because I will be putting it in a locker, I will carry my bag but in Magic Kingdom last year, I carried a big ziplock bag and wore it on all the rides. Universal tends to be stricter about wearing/carrying anything on their rides but in their defense, their rides are much more intense than the ones at Magic Kingdom.

Does anyone have a favorite lens for Universal? I was thinking of carrying my 24-70 and my 50-300 but I'd love to carry just one!

2000 - Dixie Landings
2002, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 at the Sheraton Vistana and Cypress Palms.

Took a break from Disney for Grand Cayman 2013.

2014- Florida and Aruba

I need to remind myself often to: "Enjoy life. To remember that life is not Disney World and you certainly don't want a fastpass. Make the most of everyday and enjoy the ride!"
MinnieForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
newlittleminnie
DIS Veteran

Sorry to intrude on someone elses thread but I will only be wearing a small fanny pack when I visit Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure.

Will this be allowed on all rides?

If not could you give me some idea of which rides I WON'T be allowed to keep it with me?

Thank you!

August 2012: Highlands Reserve ~ August 2013: High Grove ~
October 2013: DLRP Hotel Cheyenne
~ October 2014: WDW Art of Animation?

newlittleminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #10
wendyt_ca
DIS Veteran

I have a Canon SLR and I always use my bagellini sling bag. I usually bring a light top to wrap it in that I may wear if I get chilly. I have never had issues. We always store it during the rides that require it be stored but have never had issues keeping it on the ones that don't. On rides where it wouldn't fit in a bin or whatever is provided on the ride I sit it on the floor of the ride at my feet and double wrap the strap around my leg. I know we had to store it for the Mummy, RRR, FJ, The Hulk, MiB and Dragon Challenge.

GCF/Vegas April 26-May 3, 2014/AKL SV(DVC)/BLT TPV(DVC) Oct 12-20, 2013 (Girl's Trip)/AOA/AKL SV(DVC) - May 12-20,2013 (1st Trip with little brother)/Townhouse condo off-site - Feb 13-20, 2013/AKL SV/BLT TPV (DVC) - Oct 3-9, 2012 / DLH Paris (DVC) - Sept 10-12, 2012 - London/Paris vacation/AKL(DVC) - April 21-29th, 2012(Girl's trip)/Split Stay - Poly TPV/AKL SV/CR MK View - Oct 11 - 19, 2011 /CBR Oct 31 - Nov 8, 2010 /The Venetian Las Vegas Sept 25 - 30, 2010 - First trip to Disneyland / CSR Nov 27 - Dec 8 2009 /POP June 15, 2008 - June 25, 2008 - Our Disney Honeymoon / Sheraton Vistana Sept 22, 2006-30, 2006 - First Trip/DH proposed during Wishes in Rose Garden
wendyt_ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #11
sigepmike
Mouseketeer

Just found this thread. I've never taken my DSLR to the parks, but we are going to do so next week. I didn't know how we were going to carry the camera, but I found this backpack that we are going to try out. I like the idea of having the camera separated and a space to store our other park "stuff".

http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-TBC.../dp/B001T0HYJA
sigepmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:43 AM   #12
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlittleminnie View Post
Sorry to intrude on someone elses thread but I will only be wearing a small fanny pack when I visit Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure.

Will this be allowed on all rides?

If not could you give me some idea of which rides I WON'T be allowed to keep it with me?

Thank you!
Fanny packs are OK on all rides...so you should be good.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #13
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro West View Post
Fanny packs are OK on all rides...so you should be good.
PBI...Small fanny packs are ok..If your fanny pack is the size of a toddler, and it interferes with ride restraint systems, you will need to lock it up.I saw a couple of people on my trip that had these HUGE fannypacks with water bottles dangling from them and they were told to lock them up
Old 12-01-2012, 04:54 AM   #14
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMulieri View Post
PBI...Small fanny packs are ok..If your fanny pack is the size of a toddler, and it interferes with ride restraint systems, you will need to lock it up.I saw a couple of people on my trip that had these HUGE fannypacks with water bottles dangling from them and they were told to lock them up
Well that's true. These "fanny" packs and strollers get bigger all the time. Some day strollers will be the size of Hummers!
Old 12-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #15
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro West View Post
Well that's true. These "fanny" packs and strollers get bigger all the time. Some day strollers will be the size of Hummers!
I hear ya.. I was stunned to see they made fanny packs that big..But they do, and they do not fit on the rides, and made its owners very unhappy..LOL

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: