Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
jimbostacks
Earning My Ears

Looking for Chicago to Florida - PROS

I am thinking of a crazy spontaneous trip to Florida around New Year's Eve. Air fare is way up there, so I thought it would be fun to drive. I want to make it more of an adventure. What are some really fun spots along the way. I have two boys - 14 and 9. I am thinking Mammoth Cave, Ruby Falls, The Varsity Hot Dog place in Atlanta, any other good ideas? Looking at doing each way in 2 days........ thanks!!!!!
jimbostacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
hearts8701
DIS Veteran

we make the drive a few times a year i use a great website for driving to disney or any destination type in your starting destination and your ending destination, and it will find ALL SORTS of things for you to do, see, eat, play along the way from 4 square
http://aboutfoursquare.com/along-the...ng-foursquare/

Last edited by hearts8701; 12-01-2012 at 10:33 AM. Reason: wrg app
hearts8701 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
webworm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbostacks View Post
I am thinking of a crazy spontaneous trip to Florida around New Year's Eve. Air fare is way up there, so I thought it would be fun to drive. I want to make it more of an adventure. What are some really fun spots along the way. I have two boys - 14 and 9. I am thinking Mammoth Cave, Ruby Falls, The Varsity Hot Dog place in Atlanta, any other good ideas? Looking at doing each way in 2 days........ thanks!!!!!
I found this with Southwest from Midway just in case of the nasty weather that time of year.

Depart
Dec 31Mon 08:55 PM Chicago (Midway), IL (MDW) to 12:20 AM Orlando, FL (MCO) Flight
#2300 Monday, December 31, 2012
Travel Time 2 h 25 m
(Nonstop)

Return
Jan 8Tue 08:00 AM Orlando, FL (MCO) to Stops in Raleigh, NC
11:10 AM Chicago (Midway), IL (MDW) Flight
#3136 Tuesday, January 8, 2013
Travel Time 4 h 10 m
(1 stop, no plane change)

Total Price: $233.40
webworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
GusGus77
DIS Veteran

We always stop in Chattanooga. You mentioned Ruby Falls. We like Rock City, too. They also have an awesome aquarium in town (of course, probably no big deal since you have the Shedd where you are.) There are plenty of little places advertised on the side of the road that are fun to stop at. We had the most fun at a pecan place in Georgia we randomly stopped at. We have driven from Central Illinois two years in a row now.
GusGus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran

Atlanta zoo has the pandas with the panda cubs. They also have the world's largest aquarium.
cruisingkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
GusGus77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingkat View Post
Atlanta zoo has the pandas with the panda cubs. They also have the world's largest aquarium.
I wish I would have known that for my last trip!
GusGus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
PrincessSarah314
Mouseketeer

The Chattanooga Choo-Choo is a great place to stop for the night. It's about halfway and it's definitely cool.

We have done the drive lots of times. We like the Gone With the Wind Museum in Marietta, GA. If you have time for daytripping along the way, a 45 minute ride from WDW is New Smyrna Beach--it's cleaner than Daytona, more family friendly, and where more locals go, rather than tourists. OH! We have never stopped there (yet) but there is an Appalachian Area History Museum along the route, as well as the Jack Daniel's Distillery in Lynchburg, TN.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #8
Lizzybean
Mouseketeer

We've driven to Florida many times. We drive straight thru, but there are so many great places to stop along the way.

Nashville--LOTS to do! We have family here and like to visit

ATL--The zoo, MLK memorial,

Then there are the caves, Ruby Falls, the pecan place in Georgia (we've stopped there to stretch and had a blast)...lots to see and do!

June 2014: Beach Club!
Jan/Feb 2013 at POR
July/August 2012: Fort Wilderness FUN
July 2011: Offsite
90s: Offsite

I'm addicted to the pixie dust!

ME DH DS15 DD10 DD6
Lizzybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:00 AM   #9
jimbostacks
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all of the great info!!!!! Trying to squeeze the side trips in. Will hit Mammoth cave on the way down, and then probably stay between Chattanooga and Atlanta....will probably have little energy to drive farther. Ont he way back, Rock City/Ruby Falls....Thinking of staying in Chattanooga on way back with various neat things. I will check out New Smyrna Beach on the Web, as I knwo the Disney parks get crazy by noon!!!!! Thanks Again
jimbostacks is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: