Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 12:24 AM   #1
Dramamama
Mouseketeer

3 Day park hoppers now have to show ID

At DL and DCA today with a 3 day and ID had to be shown. Names had to be written on the backs with the pen that they provided. Once that was done it was easy. The biggest issue I had was with teenage minors. The teenagers in my group did not have any ID with them. It caused multiple problems throughout the day. Today was day 1, I'm interested to see how the other 2 days go.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

DL - 1972, 1980, 1983, 1984, 1986, 5x 1987 (AP),5x 1988 (AP), 2x 1989, 2x 1990, 1992, 2x 1994, 2x 2005, 5x 2006 (AP), 2x 2007, 2x 2010, 4x 2011, 3x 2012, 4x 2013 // WDW-1999, 2009, 2012 // DCL- MR 2011, MR 2011

Dramamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:03 AM   #2
Geemo
DIS Veteran

I had heard they were not requiring minors to show ID.
Knowing how things can and do change, we're bring ID for everyone in our group. Ages 8 to 60.

Thanks for the info.

Geemo

Geemo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-30-2012, 01:36 AM   #3
letitsnow
Mouseketeer

I think they should have an AP express line. All that money we spend they can at least give us that perk. The other day my family got stuck behind a family trying to get in for over 10 minutes just to get the ticket situation fixed!
letitsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:56 AM   #4
theluckyrabbit
DIS Veteran

Posters on other boards have said that they had an easier time if the parent/adult goes in first, shows i.d., then tells the CM how many minors behind him/her are in the same group. Having the minors go in first can cause problems when there is no i.d. available.
theluckyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:33 AM   #5
bcla
DIS Veteran

Yeah - we were told to sign our 3-day CityPass PH on our first entry.

The brokers probably wouldn't buy them directly since they typically rent at $85 a day and the 3-days are $250. However, I think they're trying to combat brokers buying an unused last day from people leaving the park and/or people trying to transfer them off to friends to complete an unused day.

As for kids, it is possible to get photo ID just to smooth things over. Not all states issue state IDs for minors (California can issue a California ID to someone of any age) but it is possible to get a passport or passport card. Oe might come in handy if you've got a big 2 YO or almost 10 YO. We actually used a government ID when our kid was flying as a lap child and even used at the airport even though our kid had a paid seat and was clearly not at the age where ID is de facto required.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #6
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

My children have never been asked for ID when using park hoppers. Note that DD16 does currently have an AP so her photo does come up on the screen. DD12 did not have to show ID to use her 3 day hopper in August. Nor did we need to prove, nor were we asked to prove our niece was 2, of course she is very vocal and she was telling everyone it was her birthday trip and she was going to be 3 on Sunday. LOL

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
elaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by letitsnow View Post
I think they should have an AP express line. All that money we spend they can at least give us that perk. The other day my family got stuck behind a family trying to get in for over 10 minutes just to get the ticket situation fixed!
I agree completely
Old 11-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
Crazy4Disney06
DIS Veteran

Back in 1998 when I made my first trip to DL we had paper tickets and it was done just like this! No problem for me. Really is not the "big" deal everyone seems to make it out to be.
9-96 ~ WDW - Wilderness Lodge / 6-98 ~ DL (graduation gift) - FairField Inn/ 3-00 ~ DL (DisneyMoon) - Stovalls Inn / 5-03 ~ DL - Super 8/ 7-04 ~ DL - Hyatt Regency Orange County/ 8-21 - 8-27-07 ~ WDW - POP / 10/11 - 10/19/08 ~ WDW - CBR & Disney Wonder / DL ~ 10/5 - 10/9/09 Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel / 12/15 - 12/20/2011 ~ Our first Holiday Season with Mickey @ ASMu / Villas At Disney's Grand Californian Hotel ~ D 12/16 - 12/21/12 /Tinkerbell Half Marathon Weekend @ DL 1/16 - 1/20/14 / Next: Aulani Hawaiian Resort 8/24 - 8/30/14

DVC Owners Since 3/2012
Crazy4Disney06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #9
Rhonna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
DD12 did not have to show ID to use her 3 day hopper in August.
Disney wasn't cracking down on the ticket ID issue in August so you wouldn't have had the problems people are dealing with now. They started this in late Oct. (the 24th I believe) right before we went.

Last edited by Rhonna; 11-30-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Rhonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
bcla
DIS Veteran

I'm old enough to remember the value books. No ID, although I'm not sure how they handled youth tickets if there was a question as to age.

Back then - no ID, no park hopping, no multi-day tickets, and no annual passes. You had to hand them an admission ticket (that technically didn't expire) and buy one for each day visited. It actually worked pretty well, although running out of ride coupons meant reaching into your wallet for cash. I don't think I ever went more than one day per trip. I also don't remember the rides being terribly long except maybe for Space Mountain.

I also remember getting my hand stamped to go see Dancing Waters at the Disneyland Hotel. I was worried that the mist from the fountains would wipe off the ink. Again, no ID and we weren't asked to produce our ticket. However, this was after they eliminated the ride coupons and went to you can eat.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #11
MAH4546
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonna View Post
Disney wasn't cracking down on the ticket ID issue in August so you wouldn't have had the problems people are dealing with now. They started this in late Oct. (the 24th I believe) right before we went.
Doesn't matter. Disneyland, like airlines and the TSA, is not allowed to force a minor to provide ID.
MAH4546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:40 PM   #12
StyledSugar
Love The Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post
Doesn't matter. Disneyland, like airlines and the TSA, is not allowed to force a minor to provide ID.
We have to show ID (passports) for our minor children every time we fly, whether it is a flight in Canada or a flight in the States. I'm not talking just Canada to US flights and vice versa. It's flights within both countries. Perhaps it's more of an airline policy rather than the acutal law though. They've always asked and we've always produced it, no questions asked.

I'd rather not carry our passports to the park and will try gaining entry without them the first day, although my DH and I will of course have our driver's licenses. Hopefully that will be enough.

DLR: 1980, 1985, 1987, February 2006, September 2010, October-November 2011, Christmas 2012

My wonderful family:
DH Me DD 15 DS 11
StyledSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #13
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post
No. Disney is a private company, and they can do anything they want as long as they don't discriminate specifically against a protected class. I have heard of people being questioned about their kids' ages. If a private business specifically asked for ID of every patron, they could. It's not typical that minors in this country have government issued ID (some countries have mandated national IDs for years) so typically businesses don't ask minors for ID. However, a business can make a service contingent on proof of one's identity - even a minor.

And the airlines do have requirements for proof of age for lap infants. The legal requirement is under 2, but different airlines have different requirements for proof of age. Southwest specifically says to bring a government issued birth certificate, but we've made do with a passport card.

I would also note that TSA can't force an adult to carry photo ID. It makes thing more difficult, but I have heard from people who were taken aside to a room to ascertain their identity when they forgot to bring some form of government issued ID.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:19 PM   #14
mrswh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcla View Post
I would also note that TSA can't force an adult to carry photo ID. It makes thing more difficult, but I have heard from people who were taken aside to a room to ascertain their identity when they forgot to bring some form of government issued ID.
I forgot my license at home on a trip once. I had to go through extra screening, but since I was the only one at the time, I was actually through security before my DH and kids, who were with the crowd of fools that remembered to bring their IDs.

I agree Disney can do whatever they want. I hope that they don't start asking kids for IDs because the only thing I have for my kids is their passports and I'd really rather not carry them around and, since I can't just put them in my back pocket, worry about losing them.
mrswh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:24 PM   #15
cmpeter
Mouseketeer

Quote:
We have to show ID (passports) for our minor children every time we fly, whether it is a flight in Canada or a flight in the States. I'm not talking just Canada to US flights and vice versa. It's flights within both countries. Perhaps it's more of an airline policy rather than the acutal law though. They've always asked and we've always produced it, no questions asked.
My kids are 16 and 12 and we have never been asked to show ID by the TSA in the states.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: