Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 03:47 PM   #1
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

remaking classics! Sound of music.

aaah. I like Carrie underwood but I think some classics, like
Wizard of Oz
Sound of music
Citizen Kane

You just can't touch. I didn't even like when Whitney Houstan and Brandy remade Cinderella.

Carrie Underwood is scheduled to play "Maria" in a Sound of music remake.

God bless her, I would be too scared that I would be perpetually compared to the original.

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/carrie-und...163400631.html

Move over Julie Andrews -- Country star Carrie Underwood is set to take on the iconic role of Maria von Trapp in NBC's upcoming live broadcast of Rodgers and Hammerstein's The Sound of Music.

"To have a star like Carrie Underwood perform Maria in The Sound of Music – and in such a very special and unique production — is exciting beyond words," said Ted Chapin, president of Rodgers & Hammerstein. "Part of the magic of Rodgers and Hammerstein is how their work has adapted itself to so many different incarnations, and I am certain the fresh spirit Underwood brings to her own songs will transition into exciting versions of the classic songs we all know and love."

Now this is supposed to be a "live" version so maybe it will be more like a play.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
Muushka
I usually feel like I just stepped in it
I do love to see a cat while on vacation
Well hot-diggity-dog, another Groupie!

I'm with you on this E, don't touch my Sound of Music!

Seriously, you liked Citizen Kane? I know we are in the minority, but we couldn't stand that movie!

~Remember 9/11/2012
~The IRS. Today it's 'them', tomorrow it's YOU!
~I would rather be governed by the first 50 names in the Boston telephone book
than by the professors at Harvard. ~William F. Buckley Jr.
Muushka is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-30-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

I think it's just a televised version of the musical. It may very well get released on dvd, but I don't think anyone is considering this a remake of the classic.

Seldom does any remake come out anywhere nearly as good as the original. If there's a remake that was actually better than the original, I can't think of it.

The thought of someone believing they could improve on TSOM actually makes me laugh. It's not even a big favorite with me, but even I can tell when something is that close to perfect.

Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
indimom
Are We There Yet?

I love Carrie Underwood, but this feels like a train wreck to me. I just can't see Carrie playing Maria.... It will be interesting to see if she can pull it off...
indimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
JaneBanks
Lime Cordial, delicious! Laughing on the ceiling with Uncle Albert

I think because this is going to be a live version, it will be fine. Julie Andrews is wonderful but that doesn't mean this musical should never be shared again.

Even though I'm not a Carrie Underwood fan, I'm looking forward to it!

(ME) (DH) =

December 2010 Grand Floridian Honeymoon

February 2012 Port Orleans French Quarter
January 2014 Port Orleans French Quarter
JaneBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
disykat
DIS Veteran

I'll watch, but I wish it would have been someone other than Carrie Underwood. I hope she's able to sing it in a style that would be appropriate to the setting. Or are they doing an "updated" version? If so, yuck!
Old 11-30-2012, 04:10 PM   #7
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

I think she is professional enough to play it correctly....at least I hope so.

We are actually going to see her in concert tomorrow night!

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #8
Mokat76
DisKat

I think she's perfectly capable of handling the songs, but this is just a dumb idea by lazy people who can't come up with an original idea.
Mokat76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #9
JaneBanks
Lime Cordial, delicious! Laughing on the ceiling with Uncle Albert

I actually think it is a great idea and I hope it takes off. I think it gives people who, for one reason or another, can't get to a theater a great opportunity to be able to see a live musical performance.

Just think about the possibilities!

(ME) (DH) =

December 2010 Grand Floridian Honeymoon

February 2012 Port Orleans French Quarter
January 2014 Port Orleans French Quarter
JaneBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #10
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokat76
I think she's perfectly capable of handling the songs, but this is just a dumb idea by lazy people who can't come up with an original idea.
That's standard in Hollywood these days. They rarely make any original movies anymore; they are all either a remake, a sequel or an adaptation of a book.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #11
disykat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokat76 View Post
I've really enjoyed some of the musicals (many that have been movies before) remade for tv. Bye Bye Birdie with the guy who played George on Seinfeld was excellent. I also remember watching Mathew Broderick on the Music Man. I liked the Cinderella version with Leslie Ann Warren and also remember a crazy Once upon a Mattress with Carol Burnett. I think the last two were in the 70's so doing made for tv remakes isn't exactly a new idea. I remember South Pacific being remade for tv more recently too, but don't remember anything about that one. (just looked it up, it was Glenn Close and Harry Connick Jr.)

Last edited by disykat; 11-30-2012 at 04:54 PM.
disykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:40 PM   #12
ChristmasElf
Will be packing TP in her purse if Sheryl Crow gets her way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
aaah. I like Carrie underwood but I think some classics, like
Wizard of Oz
Sound of music
Citizen Kane

You just can't touch. I didn't even like when Whitney Houstan and Brandy remade Cinderella.

Carrie Underwood is scheduled to play "Maria" in a Sound of music remake.

God bless her, I would be too scared that I would be perpetually compared to the original.

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/carrie-und...163400631.html

Move over Julie Andrews -- Country star Carrie Underwood is set to take on the iconic role of Maria von Trapp in NBC's upcoming live broadcast of Rodgers and Hammerstein's The Sound of Music.

"To have a star like Carrie Underwood perform Maria in The Sound of Music – and in such a very special and unique production — is exciting beyond words," said Ted Chapin, president of Rodgers & Hammerstein. "Part of the magic of Rodgers and Hammerstein is how their work has adapted itself to so many different incarnations, and I am certain the fresh spirit Underwood brings to her own songs will transition into exciting versions of the classic songs we all know and love."

Now this is supposed to be a "live" version so maybe it will be more like a play.
We recently went to see Carrie Underwood in concert and were VERY dissapointed. People were actually leaving early which surprised us. Her concert was, well lets just say BORING.
She didn't sound at all like she does on her recordings, which makes you think her voice is "doctored" up by synthesizers for the records.

She is also awkward up on stage-doesn't move around a lot-just stands there.

She sang a duet with Brad Paisley who was on a screen. That was the only song that she sounded decent on and that was because she was lip synching to match Brads singing.

Hunter Hayes was the opening act so there were quite a few teeny boppers in the crowd.

But it was really surprising how many people left way before Carrie had finished the concert.
ChristmasElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #13
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokat76
This isn't a remake of the movie. It is a tv showing of the musical. It was a musical before it was a movie. So who is unoriginal in that situation?
Old 11-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #14
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by indimom View Post
I love Carrie Underwood, but this feels like a train wreck to me. I just can't see Carrie playing Maria.... It will be interesting to see if she can pull it off...
I am with you on that....
Old 11-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #15
lizabu
DIS Veteran

It sounds great to me. I will definitely watch. I love The Sound of Music. So many movies people won't watch because they seem "old". Bringing it back with people who are popular now introduces it to a new generation. The generations that already love the story can enjoy it too.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: