Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #31
Raenstoirm
BL6 Team Challenge Tracker
Lets go get me your numbers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessallegra View Post
Same here!

Not true at all! Well, true that Disney doesn't sell pins in baggies. But that doesn't mean that those bought on ebay that come in baggies are fakes at all. The sellers we have bought from are people that live near WDW and buy and trade tons of pins. So they have lots of them. They put them in jewelry bags when they sell them so they don't get scratched up. The two lots we bought all came with the black Mickey rubber backings and all clearly had the Disney pin trading stamp on the back.
Hence why I said "usually" in my post. But also be aware, the stamp on the back and Mickey pin backs does not mean you are getting legit pins. The scrappers come from the exact same molds as Disney uses, so they look the exact same in the metal. (cm exclusive pins will even have 5 of 7 or what-have-you stamped into them.) The paint tends to be slightly different or off center and sometimes the metal edges are rough.
The little baggies are a bit of a tip off for scrappers though, because A the seller has to buy the baggies and although they are cheap, it is still an added expense and B they have to spend the time sticking each little pin in a baggie. If they are only making a dollar or two a pin, that cannot be a good use of their time.

I just bought a set of pins (not to trade) that arrived today. The seller had pushed them through a piece of flat rate box so they wouldn't scratch each other in transit and he didnt have to waste money and time putting them in little baggies.

Trying to stay at every resort, but we are creatures of habit!
Caribbean Beach/Riverside/Wilderness Lodge/All Star Movies/Beach Club/Contemporary

Raenstoirm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #32
Rememberingthe70s
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by stindall
It's true!! 7 pins for $10 from The Disney Store! .70 per pin! I just bought two packages!
WDW Commando Club Member #119
36 Years of Vacationing at WDW
Rememberingthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-19-2012, 07:28 PM   #33
tofubeast
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rememberingthe70s View Post
It's true!! 7 pins for $10 from The Disney Store! .70 per pin! I just bought two packages!
More like $1.42, but still an awesome deal!!

Grew up with DL & also went back in 08(CCI); WDW: 90, 06(POFQ), 07(CSR), Apr09(CSR), Jun09(SSR), Oct09(POP), Sep11(POP), Dec12(BCV/AoA), May13(POP), Aug13, Oct13(BLT), May14(AKV Jambo), Oct14(VWL). Other: Nov13(VBR), DCL Dream Oct14, Nov14(VBR)
Future DVC owner at Disney's Hyperion Resort in 2043!
Current TR: Our Visit EVERY Season 12-13!!
Past Trip Reports: WDW Oct 07 - DLR "back home"
tofubeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #34
WedgieSock
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am 40 year veteran of the parks, and as I approach 45 as a married man (to another man, should you be curious),
Nope, I wasn't curious at all ... but now you mention it, I want the backstory

Quote:

I'm shy, and being on a solo trip, I decided I needed to find a way to interact with cast members more. PINS! Bought my matching t-****s
I am assuming you missed the 'r' out when typing t-shirts

Quote:

I'm shy, and being on a solo trip, I decided I needed to find a way to interact with cast members more. PINS! Bought my matching t-****s and lanyard already, and did some reading about pins. I would be MORTIFIED if I bought a lot (eBay, amazon) and ended up with scrapers. I'd be totally embarrassed. I'd likely toss them if I saw rough edges or bad coloring. So, it seems like the smartest course of action is to buy from Disney Store online, yes? I'm seeing ten-piece sets for $12 and $13 at Disney Store.

Good Plan?
Now, on a serious note ... I think Pin trading is an excellent way to interact with the CMs and it is A LOT of fun plus, pins are beautiful

I too am very wary of buying from Ebay, if you do, make sure they are a reputable seller and that they only deal in Pins and such .... even reputable sellers can sell fakes by accident if they don't know their product, so I would maybe by from Ebay if I felt confident but then go the same route as you with the Disney online sets Hope you have an awesome time!!
WedgieSock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #35
KimBeano
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rememberingthe70s

Not to call you out, just to save anyone making a buying mistake... it's actually $1.42 a pin.

Still a great deal.
KimBeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #36
Disney/Universal Fan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raenstoirm View Post
Hence why I said "usually" in my post. But also be aware, the stamp on the back and Mickey pin backs does not mean you are getting legit pins. The scrappers come from the exact same molds as Disney uses, so they look the exact same in the metal. (cm exclusive pins will even have 5 of 7 or what-have-you stamped into them.) The paint tends to be slightly different or off center and sometimes the metal edges are rough.
The little baggies are a bit of a tip off for scrappers though, because A the seller has to buy the baggies and although they are cheap, it is still an added expense and B they have to spend the time sticking each little pin in a baggie. If they are only making a dollar or two a pin, that cannot be a good use of their time.

I just bought a set of pins (not to trade) that arrived today. The seller had pushed them through a piece of flat rate box so they wouldn't scratch each other in transit and he didnt have to waste money and time putting them in little baggies.
Funny, I was just going to say that a sure sign you are buying scrappers is when the seller pushes them through a piece of flat rate box so they don't scratch each other intransit.
Disney/Universal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:27 PM   #37
Rememberingthe70s
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofubeast View Post
More like $1.42, but still an awesome deal!!
<--------- As my algebra professor said, "Never let a theatre major do math."
Old 11-19-2012, 10:36 PM   #38
Minerva Mouse
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
I no longer have eyebrows. I have bushes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amymarie78 View Post
I've bought several lots on ebay... and never had any trouble, I only buy from a seller with good feedback and who ships the pins in individual bags so they don't scratch each other up on transit! Happy Bidding!
That's kinda was I was thinking. I wouldn't be afraid of turning to ebay, just watch who you're buying from and look for ones with awesome feed back.
Minerva Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:41 AM   #39
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praise2Him View Post
No, we won't ask first, but if you walk up and seem to be looking at our lanyard we immediately hold it up for you to see (well, most cast members anyway). We learn to tell if someone is interested pretty quickly, and most of us love to pin trade. Lots of times if you approach one CM to inspect their lanyard every other CM in the vicinity will come over and hold theirs out too!
We have found some amazing pins when several CM's have walked over and shown us their lanyards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raenstoirm View Post
I have tons of those. Scrappers have really flooded the "market." I would estimate 40% of the ones I have gotten from a CM are fake, but I don't care. As long as they look real enough, they look pretty on my wall. The ones that really bother me are the ones that LOOK fake. I saw one Belle on a CM lanyard that had a GREEN face. Green face...really? I almost traded for it just because it was so painfully fake .
We bought a Pin Set from WDW earlier this year and Cinderella had black marks under her eyes. It was a genuine pin, just obviously a "reject" When were meeting the Tremaines, Drizella noticed the pin, lifted my lanyard to show her sister and Lady Tramaine and said "Wow, Cinderella sure looks like she needs to get some more sleep. Must me all the renovations to the castle keeping her awake."

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:10 AM   #40
Burnedout
Proud mom of a marine recruit:)

We bought tons of pins years ago when the disney catalog would have sales. My kids traded and traded and traded so I am certain I have scrappers in the pile. We have considered selling them. Would probably put them in baggies because I can get them for free. And have free labor! I wouldn't sell a green faced belle but really have no idea of how to tell what is real or not.

It is what it is.
Burnedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:35 PM   #41
Rememberingthe70s
Old School

Thanks to all for the advice! I found a trusted eBay pin seller (from the list) that I really like, and it turns out that I tend to like a lot of pins that no one else does. LOL Because the seller will combine shipping, I'm able to grab the pins I want very inexpensively, and only pay the $2-something shipping once. THanks!
Old 11-29-2012, 05:14 AM   #42
Burnedout
Proud mom of a marine recruit:)

Good for you!!
Burnedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #43
kaligal
DIS Veteran

If you're going to trade with CMs, you might as well buy scrappers and trade them because that is probably what you'll get in return.

Some people trade real pins (I do on rare occasions), but most of the traders are kids who do it because their mom wants them to...and mom bought the traders on ebay.
Fantasmic sucks.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:55 PM   #44
dalyes
Earning My Ears

I didn't know much about pin trading since I never really cared for the concept as an adult but once I had kids, I feared my daughter would catch on and I'd be buying 10.00+ pins. I went to ebay, bought a lot, got them and noticed they were....off. Did research. Knew exactly what I had. (One pin said, "See Somefing, Say Somefing." (I work in disaster preparedness so thought this was super funny).

Anyway, knew I would feel awful passing them off. Went to the Disney Outlet before we hit the Resort and bought really cute, reasonable pins for my daughter, if in fact, she noticed pins and wanted them.

I talked to a CM at a store in Epcot and asked if I should turn them all in (don't want them passed around at all - sharp edges, really bad) and she told me to use them to trade. That once a CM notices, they just turn them in and destroy them. I ended up just tossing them. For this trip I bought pins from the Disney Store on sale - 7 pins for $10. and free shipping.

Except the "See Somefing" pin. That I'm keeping.
dalyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #45
Rememberingthe70s
Old School

I did the same - got the $10 for 7 pins at the Disney Store, and I grabbed some good bargains on pins that had no bids from trusted pin sellers that were recommended here. I know I'll end up with scrappers when trading, but I figured if I can do my best to pick up authentic pins inexpensively to start out, awesome. Of course, I'm also a solo trip adult, so I don't really need a big lot of pins. I do like the idea that the cast members weed them out, at least to some degree.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: