Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
shalom
DIS Veteran

Veterinarians at Rafikiís Planet Watch

Does anyone know if you can see the veterinarians doing their thing on Sunday mornings? My youngest would likely think watching them the coolest, but if they're not likely to be there on a Sunday I'll move that down later in the day. TIA.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalom View Post
Does anyone know if you can see the veterinarians doing their thing on Sunday mornings? My youngest would likely think watching them the coolest, but if they're not likely to be there on a Sunday I'll move that down later in the day. TIA.
We were there on Thanksgiving Day and the vets were working on a flamingo who had abnormal blood counts. Really odd to see a flamingo under anesthesia. Not sure about Sundays but they did work the holiday.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
TwoCortWort
A Buckeye Disney Princess

I have seen them doing stuff on a Sunday but they usually do stuff during the week in the morning. We have see a porcupine having a bladder exam and a turtle having an exam. There was some thing else going on later that we didn't see, but one day there were two things and I believe it was on the Sunday.

TwoCortWort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
doggydoc
It's not a midlife crisis I'm just a car enthusiast.....honest

What are you hoping to see. I'm not there very often and have never been accused of being entertaining but your welcome to watch me drink iced coffee and complain about the heat if we're ever there at the same time.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #5
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
I asked them this when I was there one time and planning a return visit on the weekend (I'm a AK fanatic). I was told that yes, they work 7 days, and sure enough I was there that weekend and they were.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:32 PM   #6
At World's End
DIS Veteran

I don't recall what day it was, but they were operating on an antelope that had broken it's leg when we were there. Very cool.

At World's End is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:27 PM   #7
MJMcBride
Barely lost is barely found

You have the best chance of seeing something in the morning. But there are vets on site everyday.

Good luck I sure hope you get to see something

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom
MJMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:29 PM   #8
curseofcurves
Mouseketeer

I remember watching some procedure being done a few years ago. Can someone remind me what time these happen? It would be nice to catch one when we are there next Monday.
December 2012 - Holiday time at Disney World
curseofcurves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:19 AM   #9
Tltorrez
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by curseofcurves
I remember watching some procedure being done a few years ago. Can someone remind me what time these happen? It would be nice to catch one when we are there next Monday.
It opens at 9:30 and you're more likely to catch something interesting in the morning. That's when they generally schedule regular procedures. Of course emergencies can happen any time. We just missed something big on our last trip. They were still cleaning up the room but the animal was gone. (I forget now what it was.)
Tltorrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:35 AM   #10
shalom
DIS Veteran

Thank you for all the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggydoc View Post
What are you hoping to see.
Youngest will be happy just to brush the goats. But if she could see a veterinarian procedure, she'd think that was pretty cool, as well, so if the odds of that are good (which they sound to be), I wanted to schedule Rafiki earlier in the day, since the vets are more likely to be out doing their rounds in the afternoon.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #11
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you for all the replies.

Youngest will be happy just to brush the goats. But if she could see a veterinarian procedure, she'd think that was pretty cool, as well, so if the odds of that are good (which they sound to be), I wanted to schedule Rafiki earlier in the day, since the vets are more likely to be out doing their rounds in the afternoon.
Don't forget, there are also sheep and pigs at the Affection Station (Disney can't call it a petting zoo after all ).

I would suggest you stop in at Guest Relations to the left after you enter the park and see if they can check on any procedures going on. You might get a better idea of what's happening.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #12
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post
I would suggest you stop in at Guest Relations to the left after you enter the park and see if they can check on any procedures going on. You might get a better idea of what's happening.
That's probably worth a shot. Now I just have to think of it when pertinent. Thanks!
Old 12-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #13
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post
I've also stopped at the entrance to the train (not right at the train, but up further, I think they're standing under an umbrella). The one or two CMs there have been nice enough to call up on their walkie-talkies to see if they can get the info.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #14
curseofcurves
Mouseketeer

When we entered the park, I asked at the info "booth" where it shows wait times for all rides. The woman pulled out a PDA and gave me some info and times for the procedures. However, when we got over there none of the info she gave me was correct. On that particular morning, there was one at 10am, one at 11am, and another shortly after.
December 2012 - Holiday time at Disney World
curseofcurves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #15
loveWDWalways
I've heard it smells better than the name implies!

Quote:
That's probably worth a shot. Now I just have to think of it when pertinent. Thanks!
^ Yes. Also, one of the CMs there told me that guests can call the AK in the morning to find out which animals might be examined that day.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: