Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
jelliott04
DIS Veteran

Kids dinner while adults do Remy?

Our first cruise is coming up in Feb and we are just recently able to book things.

The only things that are available are a Remy dinner on Pirate Night and on the last night. Since this is my first Disney cruise, can someone fill me in on why those nights are still available? IE, should I just scrap the try out at Remy?

Is there a wait list somewhere?

We have two girls ages 7 and 12. What time do the kids clubs stay open until and what will they be able to eat for dinner?

We have late seating and I was thinking that we might have to do Remy early, and then bring the kids to the MDR for dinner?

Thanks for any help, advice and/or explanations.

J
Old 11-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #2
n8tivecaligirl
Mouseketeer

Because a lot of people don't want to miss out on Pirate night with their family with the party and fireworks. Also the last night people also tend to want to spend with their families to end their vacation. No other reason than that (that I know of) I took a pirate night Remy due to the fact my husband and I don't have kids (though the other people in our party do) and we felt they could do that with their family and we could have a nice meal by ourselves.

n8tivecaligirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelliott04 View Post
Our first cruise is coming up in Feb and we are just recently able to book things.

The only things that are available are a Remy dinner on Pirate Night and on the last night. Since this is my first Disney cruise, can someone fill me in on why those nights are still available? IE, should I just scrap the try out at Remy?

Is there a wait list somewhere?

We have two girls ages 7 and 12. What time do the kids clubs stay open until and what will they be able to eat for dinner?

We have late seating and I was thinking that we might have to do Remy early, and then bring the kids to the MDR for dinner?

Thanks for any help, advice and/or explanations.

J
As to why those nights are less popular, I really don't know. Possibly because a large number of people don't want to miss the Pirate night activities and the last night is the last opportunity you are seeing your servers for dinner (or people are packing up that last night).

I don't know about a wait list, but I would guess, yes. I know they have one for Palo. It's only available once onboard, however.

Generally the kids clubs stay open pretty late (midnight, or so). They do feed the kids dinner if they are in there at the time it's scheduled. That is, dinner is at a set time in the evening (not necessarily when your particular seating is). I will point it it's not all that fancy; sandwich (turkey or cheese), chips, chocolate chip cookie.

I don't know how early Remy starts dinner, but you should allow at least 3 hours for the experience, from what I've read here. Yes, you could eat early and then take the kids to your regular seating. Another option would be taking the kids to dinner in the buffet (it's a sit-down table service for dinner, but not open the last night), and then you do Remy later. The quick serve locations on deck are also a possibility. You could have room service for the kids before you go to Remy for an early dinner on Pirate night and still be out in time for the party/fireworks.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
jelliott04
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
I don't know how early Remy starts dinner, but you should allow at least 3 hours for the experience, from what I've read here. Yes, you could eat early and then take the kids to your regular seating. Another option would be taking the kids to dinner in the buffet (it's a sit-down table service for dinner, but not open the last night), and then you do Remy later. The quick serve locations on deck are also a possibility. You could have room service for the kids before you go to Remy for an early dinner on Pirate night and still be out in time for the party/fireworks.

Wow! Thanks. What time is fireworks on Pirate night? I think the only opening was at 8:00.

I could do the first night or the last night and that is all that's available.

One more question: For the restaurant rotation, is there a way to know what rotation we have or when we'll be at what restaurant?

Thanks again!
Old 11-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wow! Thanks. What time is fireworks on Pirate night? I think the only opening was at 8:00.

I could do the first night or the last night and that is all that's available.

One more question: For the restaurant rotation, is there a way to know what rotation we have or when we'll be at what restaurant?

Thanks again!
Not sure about the time for fireworks, I'm guessing about 9:30?

You won't know your dining rotation until you check in at the port.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
n8tivecaligirl
Mouseketeer

Yes I believe it is 9:30 with fireworks near the end (closer to 10?) and again Remy is a 3 hour "process" so if you have an 8 PM then expect to be done at 11.

n8tivecaligirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
neg58
DIS Veteran

I don't think our fireworks went off until after 10:30, but the 'party' did start about 9:30. We had late dining and were always slow, but we weren't late for the pirate party.

Your kids can go to the dining room by themselves. They'll have the same waiters and they can order off the menu, or you could tell the waiters ahead of time what they want. If you are sharing a table, those 'friends' will be the same people they've already met.

Your kids could eat in the club(s)

Your kids could eat at Cabanas any time (early or late) and you could go with them early if you want.

Your kids could eat from the quick service places, things like wraps, hamburgers, pizza.

There may be reservations available for the other nights once you board. They do hold back some and there are cancellations.

You can cancel a dining reservation the day before without penalty, so you could book one now and then change it, or your mind, once on board.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

When you board the ship go up to Remy and book at the desk. Then you can have any night you want if you get there soon enough, if you'd prefer to do Pirate night with your kids.

I'll also say I think 2 kids 7 and 12 are probably good to go to the dining room by themselves. It's not like that one I read where somebody sent in a bunch of kids under 6 alone and had them climbing on the tables.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #9
jelliott04
DIS Veteran

Thank you for the very help information!

Jen
Old 11-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #10
leighi123
Earning My Ears

We just got back, and the pirate party started at 10:15 I believe (might have been 10:30), fireworks were maybe 45min later.

There was also another pirate type show from 7-8:15, pirate games followed by a pirate show.
leighi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #11
jelliott04
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
I'll also say I think 2 kids 7 and 12 are probably good to go to the dining room by themselves. It's not like that one I read where somebody sent in a bunch of kids under 6 alone and had them climbing on the tables.
My kids are well behaved and young foodies, but I still can't see sending them to the dining room by themselves. Also, I'm not sure how I'd feel if our table partners sent their kids to dinner without adult supervision. Does this happen often?

Jen
Old 11-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #12
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I would think it is perfectly fine to send kids to the dining room alone as long as they are mature enough to understand how to behave and to order and eat their meal without their parents present. The servers apparently take good care of them, but they're not babysitters. Of course there are going to be some who are either unable to properly gauge the maturity level of their kids, or they just don't care.

Parents also feed their kids ahead of time via room service or the counter service on the upper deck, then send them to the club. Don't know what they get to eat while in the club.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #13
KTJ
Earning My Ears

[QUOTE=TDC Nala;46822332
I'll also say I think 2 kids 7 and 12 are probably good to go to the dining room by themselves. It's not like that one I read where somebody sent in a bunch of kids under 6 alone and had them climbing on the tables.[/QUOTE]

ACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're kidding me!
Do DCL do something about this type of situation? How rude!

KTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #14
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My kids are well behaved and young foodies, but I still can't see sending them to the dining room by themselves. Also, I'm not sure how I'd feel if our table partners sent their kids to dinner without adult supervision. Does this happen often?

Jen
With a 12 year old, I wouldn't hesitate to send them to the dining room on their own. The serving team will fuss over them no end. Since you have late dining, the 7 year old can go to the Club with the Dine and Play team, or the 12 year old can drop her off when they have finished dinner. Yes, it happens. If you have table mates, I'd definitely talk to them.

The food in the Club/Lab stinks. If you don't want to send them to the dining room alone, you can get them dinner from room service, the fast food places, or take them to Cabanas early in the evening and then to the kid programming. Also, dinner in the programming will be early.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: