Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 08:57 AM   #241
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessallegra View Post
lululemon athletica will custom hem their run tights if you need, free of charge. ! Great to know! I am only 5'1. Also what I did last year was I bought a pair of the 7/8 run tights that would be short on a tall person but on me they were regular full tights!
Good to know - thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkeramy View Post
I found a pair of compression tights at Old Navy. I'm 5'2 and they fit pretty much just right, lengthwise. Cheap, too.
Ooo, I totally forgot about Old Navy - thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bskelly07 View Post
Based off a few of these recent posts - is there a benefit in running in 'compression' pants/tights/socks/etc? I've never heard of that, probably because I'm kind of new to running. So I'm curious if I should pick some up for myself if they have any benefits! I just run in capri-like sweatpants that I've had for ages. So I'm just curious!
Depends on your body, I think. I have issues with my calves getting tight and screwing up other things, so compression sleeves for them make a big difference. Somehow, the compression keeps them from tightening up. I'm now battling a series of muscle and joint problems in my hip/glute/thigh and compression shorts were recommended to lend support to that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
I have a pair of compression calf sleeves by CEP. I tried running in them a time or two and didn't really notice they did anything to help. HOWEVER, they are little miracle workers for recovery!!!!
ITA - my CEP sleeves are great for recovery, but not so fantastic during a run. But I love my Zensah sleeves for run-duty.

I run Disney!
Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015 ~ Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014, 2015 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012 ~ Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
Old 11-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #242
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

PrincessV.....I just read your race recap and love your skirt !!! Where did you get it.

Thanks
Register to remove

Old 11-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #243
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiHD View Post
PrincessV.....I just read your race recap and love your skirt !!! Where did you get it.

Thanks
Aw, thanks! Sadly, I'm not much help if you're looking to get one - I found it on clearance in the girls' section of Target. $5! They're all gone now at my Target, but might be worth a look online.

I run Disney!
Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015 ~ Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014, 2015 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012 ~ Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
Old 11-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #244
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by bskelly07
Based off a few of these recent posts - is there a benefit in running in 'compression' pants/tights/socks/etc? I've never heard of that, probably because I'm kind of new to running. So I'm curious if I should pick some up for myself if they have any benefits! I just run in capri-like sweatpants that I've had for ages. So I'm just curious!
Compression tights reduce muscle vibration and support your muscles, which can reduce soreness after and extend your runs. I need the support for sure.

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
Old 11-30-2012, 05:35 PM   #245
Tiger Lily 03
Famous for my Potato Salad
Not nekid anymore ;-)
Flashed through and scooped up some beads in NawwwwLins

DISboards Moderator

My orthopedic doc told me that compression socks probably will not be that helpful during the run; they maybe helpful after LR. But said if it feels good go for it.

I have hip/back pain almost always. I have used the CW-X compression shorts (sausage pants) and I like the feel, but they are quite tight. I do not always use them on runs.

I have also heard that compression socks would be good to use on the plane flight home. I am going to try that.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #246
indygirl99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
thanks, that's good to know! I really like the Nike capri length dri-fits at the moment. I just really would've liked to have had a pair of the CW-X compression shorts, capris or tights I feel like they would've done wonders for the soreness in my hips and quads after really long runs.
Okay I'm a big girl with "extra junk in the trunk" and believe it or not the MEN's CW-X compression shorts fit me perfectly. I'm not joking.

I normally wear an XL or sometimes XXL and got a mens L and perfect fit. The Shorts fit my derrier perfectly and the length goes down to an inch above my kneecap. No extra material anywhere and the compression is just what I wanted Nice and tight but still able to breath and run.

Go to your local running store and try on a pair and see what you think. It was a lady at my local running store who suggested it to me and I wanted to hug her after I finally tried it and they fit.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #247
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by indygirl99

Okay I'm a big girl with "extra junk in the trunk" and believe it or not the MEN's CW-X compression shorts fit me perfectly. I'm not joking.

I normally wear an XL or sometimes XXL and got a mens L and perfect fit. The Shorts fit my derrier perfectly and the length goes down to an inch above my kneecap. No extra material anywhere and the compression is just what I wanted Nice and tight but still able to breath and run.

Go to your local running store and try on a pair and see what you think. It was a lady at my local running store who suggested it to me and I wanted to hug her after I finally tried it and they fit.
Lol, I've tried that too...I'm just too short

Old 11-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #248
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessallegra

I just looked online for you. New styles come out every single week. So far the styles i am seeing have 5 pockets. All lululemon run pants have mininum 3 pockets. Two waistband pockets (i'm able to wedge my iphone 4s in there, i have a slick method) in the front, and a secure zipper pocket in the back waistband. Then some have leg pockets too. The Star Runner Tight looks cool. There was also a style with some water repellent cuffs on the bottom I was just eyeing! Darn you! Hahaha. Check out lululemon.com, it's always free shipping and you can return it in your local store if you don't wanna ship it back.
You are fabulous! Normally I'm very cheap but I think some of these just might be on the list for Santa!

July 1986 - offsite, Feb. 2000 - offsite, Jan. 2003 - offsite
Feb. 2008 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Feb. 2011 - Princess Half - WDW Swan, Feb. 2012 - Princess Half - POFQ, Aug. 2012 - Disney Dream, Feb. 2013 - POR
Old 11-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #249
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkeramy

You are fabulous! Normally I'm very cheap but I think some of these just might be on the list for Santa!
Awww no prob!! I was very cheap too. I used to get $20 workout pants from target. They would fade quickly and stretch out...But one pair of lulu run crops/tights will last you about 5 years or more. The quality and fit is amazing and if something goes wrong with it (seams come apart, any type of actual quality issue), you can bring it to any store and they will fix it or replace it. The most important thing is the care. Wash on cold with like fabrics (no cottons, denims, towels), and machine dry low gentle. Avoid fabric softeners and dryer sheets on any wicking athletic fabric. Seriously working in that store was amazing! When I came back from achieving my goal of completing the Princess, my team got a photo of me from the finish from dh and had it framed and engraved for me, and surprised me with it!

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
Old 12-01-2012, 12:54 AM   #250
IMGONNABE40!
Okay, I already am 40, but if I were to change my name, how would you know it was me?
Proud owner of a six foot giraffe
Don't be a Doofus!

I am thinking that I will pack my pre-race meal and bring it to the race retreat. Does anyone know if they had toasters in the tent in prior years?
Old 12-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #251
sau418
Mouseketeer

DH just found out he has a work meeting on the 25th so he will have to leave me that morning to fly to St Louis. The good news is that he will be able to be with me Friday through Sunday. The bad news is I am alone on Monday and still planning to do the parks.

I don't mind doing a park alone, but the question is what park should I do? We were planning to do Epcot and have dinner at Le Cellier. I am going to keep that ressie until I definitely know I won't use it.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #252
Gryhndmom
Coast to Coast 2013....PHM and DL Half

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post

Exercise-induced asthma, maybe? I've had it all of my life. Feels much like you describe and I'll add that in cold air, especially, my lungs feel like they're burning. I take two puffs of Albuterol before aerobic exercise and it helps a lot.
Sorry it has taken me sooo long to respond, got caught up with putting up Christmas tree before we jetted off to hawaii where I am going to get some workouts done ! Funny you should mention the asthma issue as my sister has it ! Gonna see how the week here in Hawaii goes and if still the same breathing problems then maybe a quick Dr. Visit could be in order

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacate View Post
It is, but I have spent well over a year with my aerobic capacity being my limiting factor. I have started doing the classic pattern of long, slow distance at an aerobic heart rate (60-70% max) and speed work 1-2 days per week at a much higher heart rate (85%+, think OMG I'M GONNA DIE). I feel like I'm finally starting to push past a long plateau I was on. Still slow, still limited by my lungs, but better. It might be worth a try. Jenny Hadfield's site (John Bingham's co-author and wife) has some great information

Cate
love all the info. Was just thinking why everything on me up top is small including my lungs yet I got plenty of junk in the trunk/thunder thighs on the bottom. So unfair to be short. Thanks for the answer !
Old 12-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #253
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran

This has nothing to do with anything, but the Georgia / Bama game is killing me, y'all!

July 1986 - offsite, Feb. 2000 - offsite, Jan. 2003 - offsite
Feb. 2008 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Feb. 2011 - Princess Half - WDW Swan, Feb. 2012 - Princess Half - POFQ, Aug. 2012 - Disney Dream, Feb. 2013 - POR
Old 12-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #254
jlm314
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkeramy View Post
This has nothing to do with anything, but the Georgia / Bama game is killing me, y'all!
Roll Tide! I wore my Roll Tide Hoodie this morning while walking my 6 miles. It was so fun to hear all of the greetings. Great game for both teams.

I walked the Susan G. Komen in Atlanta. I am so glad I am not training there. I honestly did not realize it was so hilly.

Last edited by jlm314; 12-01-2012 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Added a sentence
Old 12-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #255
princessmeghan
Earning My Ears

Weighing in on the compression socks/sleeves: they feel amazing after a run. I haven't tried the on a run yet though. Active.com has a groupon style thing and I just bought 3 pairs of pro compression socks for $23 each! (Normally $50)

In other news: I think I have posterior shin splints. I haven't run since Wednesday. I got fitted for inserts for my shoes, and I've been icing like crazy. My training plan starts this week with 3/3/4. Last week I did 2/2/2. The week before was 2/3/5k. Then, my last run before that was in October. FU skin cancer. Surgery made me take almost 3.5 weeks off, hence the long gap in running. I'm totally scared my pain won't go away. And either way, I am not ready for 4 miles!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: