Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 05:06 AM   #121
JZCubed
DIS Veteran

Last edited by JZCubed; 11-30-2012 at 07:48 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 11-30-2012, 06:27 AM   #122
Holstar
Have faith in your dreams, and someday, your rainbow will come smiling through

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZCubed View Post
And to the British person who commented about not knowing about gratuities in America....if I can know about which side of the road to drive on before traveling to your country, then you should be a bit more understanding about some of our foibles.
I'm sorry, but I really disagree with this.

I too travel widely, and my bookcase is full of tour guides... one of my favourite things about travelling is doing research beforehand. And, very few books I've read before coming to the USA, allude to tipping customs. At all. It's just not talked about.

I learnt about tipping and servers wages through the DIS a year or two ago - not through the seven or so travel guides I have on various US cities.

Comparing tipping to knowing which side of the road to safely drive on is a tad patronising. Perhaps you should be more understanding that not everyone will know every little custom before they begin their trip.

It's not always down to rudeness, sometimes, the information simply isn't there, you don't read the right books - or, you're one of those people who simply doesn't plan a holiday. I only know one person (and she's a Disney fan) who plans holidays the way I do... buying and reading travel guides, looking up restaurants etc.

Me, 25 Ben, 27 : Daisy, 16 Jasmine, 13 Chloe, 10

.~* 22nd August - 9th September 2014, Walt Disney World Old Key West *~.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-30-2012, 07:10 AM   #123
megs193
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Back about 10 years ago, I was waiting, patiently, in a line for registration for some library program that my then 9 y/o dd wanted to participate in. I had been in line for about 30 mins (these programs fill up really quickly), when another parent came up to me and started talking to me. She was the mother of an aquaintance of my dd's...not close friends. Well, you know what she said to me??? 'Stay here for a minute..I"m getting us further up in the line. We never wait like this back in NY/LI!!!' This woman is the type of, how shall I put this, ummm, non-gentile woman that gives all of her ethnic background a black eye!!! Pushy, entitled, self-important. So yeah, we have rude folks here in the USA as well.
Do you realize how anti-Semitic this comment is? Hopefully you aren't teaching your daughter to generalize an entire group of people based off a single person's actions. That is worse than stealing a picture during a parade IMO.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:42 AM   #124
Goofy_Girl
My Scottish Fold owns me!

Our first visit to WDW we watched the parades and never again. I had a group yelling at me and my daughter because we weren't sitting but everyone but them were standing. Its way to stressful and we just watch from a distance or enjoy the shorter ride lines =]
Old 11-30-2012, 07:58 AM   #125
JZCubed
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holstar View Post
I'm sorry, but I really disagree with this.

I too travel widely, and my bookcase is full of tour guides... one of my favourite things about travelling is doing research beforehand. And, very few books I've read before coming to the USA, allude to tipping customs. At all. It's just not talked about.

I learnt about tipping and servers wages through the DIS a year or two ago - not through the seven or so travel guides I have on various US cities.

Comparing tipping to knowing which side of the road to safely drive on is a tad patronising. Perhaps you should be more understanding that not everyone will know every little custom before they begin their trip.

It's not always down to rudeness, sometimes, the information simply isn't there, you don't read the right books - or, you're one of those people who simply doesn't plan a holiday. I only know one person (and she's a Disney fan) who plans holidays the way I do... buying and reading travel guides, looking up restaurants etc.
If American guidebooks tell me about 'Service Compris', then I have a difficult time believing guidebooks on America do not describe our custom.

And what's funny about that, the bottom of your check at Disney offers the information about gratuities. Were you not curious?

As to the my being patronizing to the British person about their custom, again, my guidebooks have a chapter on each driving while abroad and dining out.

Akershus (3.0-stars* Food; 5* princess interaction). blueZoo (4.5* - Best (Sea) Food w/o jacket required), Boma (4.0* buffet breakfast*), Bongo's (3*), California Grill (3.5*food; 5*- Best View), Cape May Cafe (4* charcter breakfast w/ Goofy), Captain's Grille (2*), Chef Mickey's (2* food; 5* characters), Cinderella's Royal Table (2.5* food; 4* characters), Citrico's (3.5*), Coral Reef (3.5* food; 4.5* for the view), Crystal Palace (2*), 50's Prime Time Cafe (2.5*), Flying Fish (3.5*), Grand Floridian Cafe (3*), Hollywood Brown Derby (3*), House of Blues (3.5* - BBQ), Il Mulino (4*), Jiko (3.5*), Kouzinna (3.5* dinner; 4* breakfast), Le Cellier (3.5*), Les Chefs de France (3*), Marrakesh (3* - bit noisy; 4* belly dancers), Narcoossee's (3.5*), Rainforest Cafe (2*), Rose & Crown (2.5*), Sanaa (4.0*), Sci-Fi Theatre (2.5*), Shula's Steakhouse (4*), Sleepy Hollow (4* Qwik Serve chicken waffles & coffee drinks), Tamu Tamu (4* - Qwik Serve Hidden Gem) Victoria & Albert (5*- Best Service/Tasting Menu), Wave (3*), Yak & Yeti (1*)

On my 'to dine' list: Artist Point (Nov, 2014), Monsieur Paul (2015?), Ohana (2015?), Yachtman's Steakhouse (2015), & Spice Road (2015?).
Old 11-30-2012, 08:27 AM   #126
WedgieSock
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If American guidebooks tell me about 'Service Compris', then I have a difficult time believing guidebooks on America do not describe our custom.

And what's funny about that, the bottom of your check at Disney offers the information about gratuities. Were you not curious?

As to the my being patronizing to the British person about their custom, again, my guidebooks have a chapter on each driving while abroad and dining out.
Quote:

I was well aware of the tipping custom here. I have always tipped. Jeez - I was making a point that I was unaware your servers RELIED on tips, in the UK our servers get minimum wage, there are no sector exceptions. I just assumed your servers get minimum wage too.

Read all the guide books, yes there is a chapter on dining out - it says tipping is customary it does not say "we have a minimum wage law that covers everybody ..... except servers".

Sorry but I am very well-travelled - I'm British, it is in our blood to explore abroad - and I research every country very well. I was LIVING HERE for 3 years before I found out how badly paid servers were, it is NOT well advertised.

ETA: oh, and btw ... the name is Wedgiesock or Arwen - not "British Person"
Old 11-30-2012, 08:40 AM   #127
Melodious
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz

Amen to that -- first beads fly, you're a dead man.
Only if you're on Canal with the tourists. Locals watch on St Charles where I can happily sit in my lawn chair all through the parade, letting beads falls in my lap, even on Mardi Gras day
Old 11-30-2012, 08:40 AM   #128
Holstar
Have faith in your dreams, and someday, your rainbow will come smiling through

Quote:

I have always tipped actually - regardless of which country I am in, I was raised to believe that not tipping is rude. Even here, at home, I tip 20%.

The difference is, here, I will not tip if service is particularly bad. When in the US, I have never not tipped regardless of the level of service - admittedly, servers get more, the better they are!

Me, 25 Ben, 27 : Daisy, 16 Jasmine, 13 Chloe, 10

.~* 22nd August - 9th September 2014, Walt Disney World Old Key West *~.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:45 AM   #129
WedgieSock
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have always tipped actually - regardless of which country I am in, I was raised to believe that not tipping is rude. Even here, at home, I tip 20%.

The difference is, here, I will not tip if service is particularly bad. When in the US, I have never not tipped regardless of the level of service - admittedly, servers get more, the better they are!
Completely agree with this.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #130
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgieSock View Post
Absolutely, fully agree - but if you don't know what questions to ask you won't find out the answer. I knew it was custom to tip here, however I had absolutely no idea servers relied on it. I didn't realise there was minimum wage and then servers wage. To me, being British, a minimum wage means that every worker, no matter what sector, is paid no less than that, no exceptions.
From your lips to the powers that be's ears! I wish that our restaurants would start paying servers minimum wage instead of relying on the patrons to pick up part of their salary. Then, tipping could go back to what it was intended: A bonus for going above and beyond on your job.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:03 AM   #131
WedgieSock
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
From your lips to the powers that be's ears! I wish that our restaurants would start paying servers minimum wage instead of relying on the patrons to pick up part of their salary. Then, tipping could go back to what it was intended: A bonus for going above and beyond on your job.
Thats what I am trying to explain here - seriously, I was shocked when I found out your servers don't get minimum wage, I thought that was against the law and that everyone got minimum wage. I always tip the requirement but when I found that out, I viewed tipping very differently and I tip over the requirement.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:08 AM   #132
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgieSock View Post
Thats what I am trying to explain here - seriously, I was shocked when I found out your servers don't get minimum wage, I thought that was against the law and that everyone got minimum wage. I always tip the requirement but when I found that out, I viewed tipping very differently and I tip over the requirement.
Technically, they will get at least minimum wage. If a server is terrible at his job and everyone only tips him 10 cents, he won't be making minimum wage. At that point, the owner of the restaurant is required to make up the difference. I think that is how they get the exception.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:13 AM   #133
WedgieSock
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
Technically, they will get at least minimum wage. If a server is terrible at his job and everyone only tips him 10 cents, he won't be making minimum wage. At that point, the owner of the restaurant is required to make up the difference. I think that is how they get the exception.
Thats just complicated BS in my opinion HA!
Old 11-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #134
Love Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by megs193 View Post
Do you realize how anti-Semitic this comment is? Hopefully you aren't teaching your daughter to generalize an entire group of people based off a single person's actions. That is worse than stealing a picture during a parade IMO.
Basically, that comment confirmed everything I've always assumed about this particular poster, based on many previous posts. Gross.

I doubt she'll bother considering whether her tacky and backward attitude is appropriate...but I hope she'll at least reconsider the usage errors she's making in the way she uses the word "impact." Eesh.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #135
Love Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Every single travel book I have ever read, for every country, covers tipping.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: