DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
love280mickey
Mouseketeer

? on rentals - I have a ressie but may need to rent a few days out

Hi all, thanks in advance for any insight here...

I just made a ressie for a Studio at Grand California next year.

I may want to rent out the first few nights though. How do I go about this? Do I need to contact MS to have them split it into two distinct reservations so that I could try and rent out some of the nights - hopefully to someone here on the boards?

Never rented out points before, so any info is appreciated.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
erionm
DIS Veteran

MS really can't split a reservation for this purpose. They would need to drop the first three night then rebook them as a new reservation. There is a possibility that those nights could be lost before they get to the point where they could rebook them.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-30-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
love280mickey
Mouseketeer

ok.... so can I still rent them to someone else?

It doesn't sound right to me then, if my family is trying to come in for the 2nd half of the week, how can I be sure the renter would vacate?

If I was just doing this with someone I knew it would be different.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
erionm
DIS Veteran

I would not try to rent to someone unless you were successful in getting two separate reservations.

If you rent to someone and only have a single reservation, you would need to put the entire reservation in their names. I doubt that the resort will kick them out after three nights just because you had an agreement with them for a partial rental as their name is on the room reservation.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
love280mickey
Mouseketeer

thanks, so if I understand correctly,

I would call MS and split it into two separate reservations, both under my name, then get a renter, then call MS back and change the name of one of the ressies to the renter's name.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:19 AM   #6
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

You'd have better luck cancelling the nights you don't want, then renting the points out. That would allow you to rent to anyone who is looking to use that number of points in your use year, rather than only to someone looking for that specific resort and room size for those specific nights.

Please note that there are also different rules on the DIS for posting points for rent as opposed to posting an existing reservation for rent. (Existing reservations can only be posted within 30 days of check-in.) See the stickies on the rental board for more details on the rent/trade board rules.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:25 AM   #7
love280mickey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdsOfPreyDave View Post
You'd have better luck cancelling the nights you don't want, then renting the points out. That would allow you to rent to anyone who is looking to use that number of points in your use year, rather than only to someone looking for that specific resort and room size for those specific nights.

Please note that there are also different rules on the DIS for posting points for rent as opposed to posting an existing reservation for rent. (Existing reservations can only be posted within 30 days of check-in.) See the stickies on the rental board for more details on the rent/trade board rules.
well, DUH! Why didn't I think of that - totally makes much more sense! That's why I come to the Dis... Now I feel much better. Thanks also for the heads up on the different rules for posting rentals.

THANKS AGAIN!
Old 11-30-2012, 08:30 AM   #8
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdsOfPreyDave View Post
You'd have better luck cancelling the nights you don't want, then renting the points out.
Agree. Ask yourself...what are the odds that you are going to be able to find someone who wants the exact dates you are offering at the Grand Californian?

Even if you can find someone interested in those dates, what if they want to arrive a couple days earlier or stay a couple days later? Few people like switching rooms--particularly at the same hotel.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: