Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 08:16 AM   #16
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

I was reading something recently, I forget where, where people found out that even hard keys have more duplication that most people think - and found out by accidentally getting into someone else's car of the same model and color...wish I could find it now.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #17
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut33 View Post
OK, wait a minute, stealing key fob codes is not as easy as that officer described it. I think he needs to do a little research:

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/lockcode.asp
It depends on the technology of the system. Older systems used fixed codes and always sent the same signal making them easy to grab and re-use. More modern systems use rolling codes and grabbing the signal does no good. The strength of the algorithm used to roll the code is important though so a future code can't be deduced by analyzing an already sent code.

All that being said, this problem has been fixed for at least 15 years so if Ford was using either fixed or weak rolling codes it isn't because the technology isn't there, it is that they didn't use it.

Anyway, sorry that happened OP but thanks for bringing it to people's attention.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #18
SamSam

DIS Veteran

2 years ago (Christmas time) a group of my friends (10) rented a van to drive 3 hours away for our annual Christmas trip. We all had been shopping and before eating dinner decided that a few of us would run all our packages out to the van. Well, we ran out and put the packages into the back of what we thought was our van.

Fast forward, after dinner all of us head out to go to our van and the women in the lead were going down a different isle than those of us that had taken the packages out earlier. We all look at each other in total shock as we realize that we had put our packages in someone else's van. Yep, we did and that van was no longer there. We went to customer service and filed a report but were pretty sure it was a lost cause. And, yes, the key we had worked on the other van.

Here's the Christmas story part. It turns out that a woman had rented the same type van to take her daughter and friends to celebrate a birthday. They discovered the extra packages after they arrived home ( an hour away). She not only called the shopping district 3 days in a row, she actually drove over there and finally found someone who found our report. If that's not all sweet enough, it turns out her husband has to be in our city (3 hours away) for business and he brings our packages to meet us at a designated place.

What a great Christmas story, I am amazed at this woman's determination to find us. Most people would have called once, but she kept going until she found us. Love this woman!

Okay, off on a tangent here but it relates because my rental car key did work to open her rental car.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:59 PM   #19
Stacy's a freak
wrangles snakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSam View Post
2 years ago (Christmas time) a group of my friends (10) rented a van to drive 3 hours away for our annual Christmas trip. We all had been shopping and before eating dinner decided that a few of us would run all our packages out to the van. Well, we ran out and put the packages into the back of what we thought was our van.

Fast forward, after dinner all of us head out to go to our van and the women in the lead were going down a different isle than those of us that had taken the packages out earlier. We all look at each other in total shock as we realize that we had put our packages in someone else's van. Yep, we did and that van was no longer there. We went to customer service and filed a report but were pretty sure it was a lost cause. And, yes, the key we had worked on the other van.

Here's the Christmas story part. It turns out that a woman had rented the same type van to take her daughter and friends to celebrate a birthday. They discovered the extra packages after they arrived home ( an hour away). She not only called the shopping district 3 days in a row, she actually drove over there and finally found someone who found our report. If that's not all sweet enough, it turns out her husband has to be in our city (3 hours away) for business and he brings our packages to meet us at a designated place.

What a great Christmas story, I am amazed at this woman's determination to find us. Most people would have called once, but she kept going until she found us. Love this woman!

Okay, off on a tangent here but it relates because my rental car key did work to open her rental car.
What a happy ending but crazy that this can happen! I guess I'm going to start locking my car from the inside now. Sheesh!
Stacy's a freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:00 PM   #20
Lori
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSam View Post

I am glad this had a happy ending. It is interesting that a couple of people have now mentioned keys working in the wrong cars. It is crazy!
Lori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #21
mcrgw29
Earning My Ears

My mom's '11 Kia Sorento remote will sometimes unlock my '10 Nissan Sentra, at the same time it locks her car! I don't really understand that one at all.
mcrgw29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:58 AM   #22
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrgw29 View Post
My mom's '11 Kia Sorento remote will sometimes unlock my '10 Nissan Sentra, at the same time it locks her car! I don't really understand that one at all.
Years ago, my firebird's remote would set of another car's panic horn whenever I unlocked my car at the office...neighbors were not amused.

There are a lot of reports saying that at least through 2004, GM keys could often unlock other GM cars...it seems that after a little wear and tear on the tumblers, a close key would work, despite the fact that there was supposed to be somewhere between 100,000-1,000,000 possible combinations (depending who you ask).

I know back as far as 1990, GM was using a special key that contained a coded resistor, which was required to unlock the ignition system, but not the doors. So even if there was some level of key duplication, they couldn't steal the car. Sure enough, someone got into my Firebird somehow, but couldn't start it, and ripped the ignition apart. I had to have it replaced, which meant having all the keys replaced, and got into a fight with the car place when they only gave me ONE key and said it would cost me several hundred more to get spares...
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: