Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #31
skzlly
Earning My Ears

Oh gosh, now you have me paranoid - we leave next Saturday & my daughter has a physical scheduled for Tuesday. I think I should reschedule! The last place I want to bring her is a dr's office full of germs.
skzlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #32
manateesmom
Mouseketeer

IME, it's actually Vitamin D that will help you ward off sickness, especially in the winter when you're naturally deficient. For people who don't like pills, you can get flavorless Vit D drops, just one drop is a dose. Vitamin D council recommends 1,000 IU/day for kids in winter, up to 5,000 for adults. My doc has recommended mega doses to treat a deficiency (50,000 IU a week), and you really need to be in the hundreds of thousands to millions of IUs to overdose. The standard multi Vit dose of 400 IU is the amount needed to keep babies from getting rickets, not the dose you need for optimal health.

FWIW, two years ago we came down with norovirus around Thanksgiving, when DS was a baby, and it was a nightmare. About a year later, he had another bad GI bug, and we were super vigilant about hand washing and neither dH nor I got sick. I think it's possible to avoid it even if you're in the same household as someone who is sick.

manateesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-30-2012, 06:25 AM   #33
realityland
Mouseketeer

Location: Latitude 27° 5' 59.199" Longitude -82° 27' 15.3475" (Venice, Florida)

Happened to us. Son came home from school sick 2 days before the cruise. He hadn't been that sick in a year or more. Thankfully, we had insurance - so at least we were covered if we had to cancel. He managed to return to 100% before we left.

It was almost like the week before we left for the cruise every sick person seemed to gravitate toward us. It was unbelievable. We went out of our way to avoid being in any situation where we were exposed to sick people. I swear it worked against us. I think the next time that we cruise, I'll take the family to the local mall a week or two before and we'll touch everything we possibly can that is likely covered in germs!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: