Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #1606
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
Iím a Universal Homie
 
macraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)
Posts: 56,722

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidensmommy22 View Post
Hi everyone! I am planning a last minute trip for January. It will be myself, my mom & my 2 boys (who will be just turned 4 & 6). I know they would love the All Star Sports but I have also heard good things about POP. I'm still leaning towards ASSports though. Would anyone mind sharing reasons you would choose Sports over POP. Thanks so much!
i like the layout of the buildings around the lobby building.
you have quite a few buildings that have short walks to the food section, gift shop and the pools.

i have not had any noise issues bleeding thru the walls when in my room.
i have stayed on all 3 floors over the years.
you can hear the toilets flush during the night but if you close the bathroom door in your place, it prevents hearing that plumbing sounds.


the bus situation is very acceptable by my standards.

the busses don't share during busy times of the day and evening.
but when they do, perhaps in midday, the first stop is Sports.
i always get a seat due to that.
there have been times when i have stayed at Sports, the busses never shared.
in my 8 night stay during sept/oct, i only was on a shared bus two times the entire trip.

behind building #10 and #6, you have pathways thru small trees, shrubs, bushes.
it is quiet and peaceful in those areas.

the giant icons are fun for littles to look at and explore at the All Stars 3 resorts.

you can pool hop to the other 2 All stars resorts, use the other food courts, use your refillable mug at each, do the dive in pool nights, pool games, etc. it is acceptable for these resorts.

i like Sports.
hopefully, if you choose this resort, you will enjoy it also.

but, i am told Pop is a fun resort also.
__________________
life is what happens to you on your way to achieving your dreams...........

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #1607
lustergirl
DIS Veteran
 
lustergirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 5,766

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidensmommy22 View Post
Hi everyone! I am planning a last minute trip for January. It will be myself, my mom & my 2 boys (who will be just turned 4 & 6). I know they would love the All Star Sports but I have also heard good things about POP. I'm still leaning towards ASSports though. Would anyone mind sharing reasons you would choose Sports over POP. Thanks so much!
Well I would choose AS Sports for the smaller size alone. We stayed at POP in October 2009 and the resort is huge. We paid for a preferred room and ended up on the 4th floor facing the parking lot. If you pay for a preferred room at Sports you are right on top of everything. The food court at Sports is less hectic than POP, as there are more people who stay at POP, it is bigger than Sports.
__________________
lustergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-28-2012, 02:50 AM   #1608
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!
 
angwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,784

Lustergirl, Thanks for the good thoughts that all went ok.

Aidensmommy,

I have stayed at both Sports and Pop and prefer Sports. I kind of feel like it is a great secret that everyone likes to hate on. lol I think the biggest misconception is the busses. The majority of times I have stayed at Sports the busses only shared with Music and not Movies and even the times they shared it was not always mostly on the way home and Sports is first on first off. When I have stayed at Pop the lines would be so long you were lucky to get standing room only on the bus either way. Sports IMO is quieter and much less crowded. Pop is much bigger and spread out and the food area and pool is crowded a lot more often than at Sports. That is just my opions on it all. Plus I have had horrendous house keeping and the CM's always seemed less friendly at Pop compared to sports. Well except for Matilde our wonderful house keeper over at POP and I think she needs to come over to Sports and work. lol
__________________
AngAlWill Angel:
angwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #1609
lustergirl
DIS Veteran
 
lustergirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 5,766

Quote:
Originally Posted by angwill View Post
Lustergirl, Thanks for the good thoughts that all went ok.

Aidensmommy,

I have stayed at both Sports and Pop and prefer Sports. I kind of feel like it is a great secret that everyone likes to hate on. lol I think the biggest misconception is the busses. The majority of times I have stayed at Sports the busses only shared with Music and not Movies and even the times they shared it was not always mostly on the way home and Sports is first on first off. When I have stayed at Pop the lines would be so long you were lucky to get standing room only on the bus either way. Sports IMO is quieter and much less crowded. Pop is much bigger and spread out and the food area and pool is crowded a lot more often than at Sports. That is just my opions on it all. Plus I have had horrendous house keeping and the CM's always seemed less friendly at Pop compared to sports. Well except for Matilde our wonderful house keeper over at POP and I think she needs to come over to Sports and work. lol
Have to agree. I think the busses at the All Stars are better than POP. We stood in line a long time when we were staying there. Too many people!!
__________________
lustergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #1610
Aidensmommy22
Mouseketeer
 
Aidensmommy22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Alabama
Posts: 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by lustergirl View Post
Have to agree. I think the busses at the All Stars are better than POP. We stood in line a long time when we were staying there. Too many people!!
Thanks everyone for your help! We are trying to avoid the crowds with the little ones so it looks like Sports is the best choice for us.
__________________
Heather ~ Wife to Jonathan ~ Mommy to Aiden (7) & Casen (5)
Aidensmommy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:42 AM   #1611
lustergirl
DIS Veteran
 
lustergirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 5,766

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidensmommy22 View Post
Thanks everyone for your help! We are trying to avoid the crowds with the little ones so it looks like Sports is the best choice for us.
Well good luck I am sure you will enjoy yourselves.
__________________
lustergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #1612
*~PrincessBelle~*
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 780

Hi Everyone! Ive decided to book a last minute wknd trip to see the Osborne Lights and MVMCP this week and have chosed to stay at ASSp for the first time! Im really excited but im super curious about the mug situation - no flames please...I have in my collection so far pink, teal, and red from my past travels and im wondering if they sell the black mugs or if i'll be stuck with another pink (I have like 3 now) im really hoping for a red one! If not they make great stocking stuffer/souviners for my neices and nephew's when I get home...

Also wondering where the best rooms are at ASSp..i'm staying in just a standard but wondering if one location/bldg is better than another? It's just me travelling and no car...
*~PrincessBelle~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #1613
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!
 
angwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,784

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~PrincessBelle~* View Post
Hi Everyone! Ive decided to book a last minute wknd trip to see the Osborne Lights and MVMCP this week and have chosed to stay at ASSp for the first time! Im really excited but im super curious about the mug situation - no flames please...I have in my collection so far pink, teal, and red from my past travels and im wondering if they sell the black mugs or if i'll be stuck with another pink (I have like 3 now) im really hoping for a red one! If not they make great stocking stuffer/souviners for my neices and nephew's when I get home...

Also wondering where the best rooms are at ASSp..i'm staying in just a standard but wondering if one location/bldg is better than another? It's just me travelling and no car...
No flames here. I appreciate eveyones differences if I agree with them or not. Last I heard they did away with the special soda machines at Sports if you wondered about that. As for color of mugs when I have been there the mug colors changed depending on the day you looked. If I wanted that black one to go with my collection I would check all the resorts I could till I found it and you can fill it at Sports.
__________________
AngAlWill Angel:
angwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:50 PM   #1614
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
Iím a Universal Homie
 
macraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)
Posts: 56,722

this past october, when i stayed at sports, they had the purple, blue, pink and black tops on the mugs.

i already had the purple from last year so this year i took, ugh, pink.
i'm not a pink type of girl but i had the other colors from past visits........

this is the way i can remember which year the mug came from..........lol



i was at sports in late sept/early oct 2011 when they did the testing for the soda machines.
it was a big mess.
too many times (7), i had to get a supervisor to over ride the machine within a 3 day period as the dispenser did not read my mug correctly.
they exchanged my mug i bought 4 different times.
was told it was defective.

on my last day there, the mug was exchanged for the last time.
the supervisor had it checked out and told me the sensor piece was burned out.

i know others had issues during the time period i was there in that testing trial.

i don't know if the other time periods prior to my stay then had dispenser/mug chip issues.


they did away with the sensor chips in the mugs and the machines are back to normal.

princess, i can't find fault with any of the buildings at Sports.
many on here have voiced their favorite buildings, we all like some more than others.

if you like a very quiet building, they are in the back of the sports grounds.
(tennis for one example)
none of them are much of a walk to the pool, food court, lobby, busses...
__________________
life is what happens to you on your way to achieving your dreams...........

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:25 AM   #1615
*~PrincessBelle~*
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by macraven View Post
this past october, when i stayed at sports, they had the purple, blue, pink and black tops on the mugs.

i already had the purple from last year so this year i took, ugh, pink.
i'm not a pink type of girl but i had the other colors from past visits........

this is the way i can remember which year the mug came from..........lol



i was at sports in late sept/early oct 2011 when they did the testing for the soda machines.
it was a big mess.
too many times (7), i had to get a supervisor to over ride the machine within a 3 day period as the dispenser did not read my mug correctly.
they exchanged my mug i bought 4 different times.
was told it was defective.

on my last day there, the mug was exchanged for the last time.
the supervisor had it checked out and told me the sensor piece was burned out.

i know others had issues during the time period i was there in that testing trial.

i don't know if the other time periods prior to my stay then had dispenser/mug chip issues.


they did away with the sensor chips in the mugs and the machines are back to normal.

princess, i can't find fault with any of the buildings at Sports.
many on here have voiced their favorite buildings, we all like some more than others.

if you like a very quiet building, they are in the back of the sports grounds.
(tennis for one example)
none of them are much of a walk to the pool, food court, lobby, busses...
Thanks for the tip on the buildings! It does seem like a fairly compact resort...I stayed at CSR earlier in the year and I think im just panicked i'll have to walk FOREVER to get to the main bldg - but I know this wont be the case...

Very excited about purple mugs! Ive never seen those ones hopefully they still have them...I like to use my mugs at work for my tea in the mornings...makes that drive to work a little more magical LOL
*~PrincessBelle~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:38 AM   #1616
lustergirl
DIS Veteran
 
lustergirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 5,766

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~PrincessBelle~* View Post
Thanks for the tip on the buildings! It does seem like a fairly compact resort...I stayed at CSR earlier in the year and I think im just panicked i'll have to walk FOREVER to get to the main bldg - but I know this wont be the case...

Very excited about purple mugs! Ive never seen those ones hopefully they still have them...I like to use my mugs at work for my tea in the mornings...makes that drive to work a little more magical LOL
We have stayed at CSR once. It is a beautiful resort but we were stuck in the boonies, the Ranchos section. It was quite the hike to the main lobby. If I ever stay there again I will paid preferred and stay close. Don't have to worry about that at Sports though. Everything is close to the action
__________________
lustergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:31 AM   #1617
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!
 
angwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,784

When we stayed at CSR we were so far from the main building too and everything seemed like miles away. I think prefered there just means lake view and I don't think it gets you closer to the front. I think the closest buildings at CSR are about as close as the farthest buidlings at Sports.
__________________
AngAlWill Angel:
angwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #1618
EpcotBill
DIS Veteran
 
EpcotBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 2,899

Quote:
Originally Posted by angwill View Post
When we stayed at CSR we were so far from the main building too and everything seemed like miles away. I think prefered there just means lake view and I don't think it gets you closer to the front. I think the closest buildings at CSR are about as close as the farthest buidlings at Sports.
Casitas 1, 2 and 3 are Preferred. They are the closest buildings to the main building. Not all rooms in those buildings are lake view.
EpcotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #1619
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran
 
bigbabyblues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 10,137

I know it's a long shot, but does anyone know if there are typically large student/sports groups at ASports the second week of June? We are booked at CBR, but may have to downgrade due to unexpected truck repairs yesterday. We have stayed at ASMo, ASmu, and Pop, but DS has mentioned Sports and I would like to stay there barring any huge groups at that time.
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #1620
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!
 
angwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,784

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpcotBill View Post
Casitas 1, 2 and 3 are Preferred. They are the closest buildings to the main building. Not all rooms in those buildings are lake view.
Thanks for clarifying that. That means the CM working the front desk there lied to me when I asked if there was anything closer I could pay the prefered fee for and she said they had already upgraded me to prefered since I had a lake view room way in the back of the resort. lol Figures, since I was relieved to switch to Sports after 4 nights at CSR.
__________________
AngAlWill Angel:
angwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: