Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #16
neg58
DIS Veteran

I just did my first cruise, a 4 day. I'd originally thought of a 6 or 7 day Christmas cruise, but wasn't sure we'd like cruising. The 4 day was really perfect. My 16 year old tried out the teen club but didn't really like it. The day at CC was wonderful and we liked doing the sea day.

But now we are immediately going on a 7 day for Christmas. It was a last minute decision, and only because there are FL resident rates. My other daughter didn't go on the last one and regrets it, so now we are off again. I'm not sure this will be perfect as I'm not as interested in the shore excursions (she is), I just want to go to the beach! Second daughter is not so Disney crazy and is worried she won't like the shows or activities, but I think she will if she tries to like them.

To the OP, I think a 4 day would be perfect, especially since your non-potty trained child will not be allowed to be check into the club/lab. I think you'll still find tons to do, but you'll be together a lot. Castaway Cay is a great day. Not too much walking, don't have to tote food to the beach, bathrooms close. I just loved it.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:11 AM   #17
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Sea days are much more relaxing than port days. That said we did our first cruise as a 3day and just stayed on in Nassau for our own sea day.
Warning. Cruising is addictive (says the person with three-four planned cruises coming up.)
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-27-2012, 08:54 AM   #18
HollyRN
Earning My Ears

We did a four night on our first cruise and I'm glad we did. My daughter was sick the whole time and all I had was Dramamine. She slept and missed so much. If you have anyone in your party who may get sick, I'd suggest the patch. It causes less drowsiness. Also I would recommend the 4 day over the 3. You need that one day at sea to really enjoy the ship. Good luck!
HollyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #19
Summerl30
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyRN View Post
We did a four night on our first cruise and I'm glad we did. My daughter was sick the whole time and all I had was Dramamine. She slept and missed so much. If you have anyone in your party who may get sick, I'd suggest the patch. It causes less drowsiness. Also I would recommend the 4 day over the 3. You need that one day at sea to really enjoy the ship. Good luck!
isn't there stuff you could buy on the ship? This is my concern, but when I was told you could buy on the ship, I figured I wouldn't bring anything.
Summerl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:34 AM   #20
kathleendsm
Mouseketeer

Thanks! This is awesome information. We're still comparing...probably leaning more towards the 4 day for the experience, but maybe the 3 day with the cost and the knowledge that if we have fun, we're booking a bounceback while we're on board.

I appreciate the input from the other special needs moms too. DS has a rare chromosome abnormality and is very social and fun, but mostly non-verbal (apraxia). We've been told by our travel agent and by other special needs parents that he would be allowed in the kids club with pull ups on, but we'd have to come and change him ourselves if he needs it (I know that might be subject to change while we're on the ship). I'm totally fine with that, but worry that once we come down, he won't want to stay. Then again, he's very cuddly and social and if he makes a special friend CM, he might not want to leave...it could go either way!

I think if we do the 3 day we might stay on board the ship while it's at Nassau, that way we get more of a chance to explore it. Our DD, who will be 8, is incredibly excited for cruising, so I hope we love it!

Upcoming:
February 2014: Princess Half at AKL!

2013 - BLT, AKL, Dream, POR * 2012 - BLT, BWV * 2011 - AKV, BWV * 2010 - BWV * 2003 - Offsite * 2000 - Offsite * 1999 - WL * 1995 - Dixie Landings (POR) * 1992 - CBR * 1987 - CR * 1984 - CR *1980 - CR
kathleendsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #21
STLEdge
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Then again, he's very cuddly and social and if he makes a special friend CM, he might not want to leave...it could go either way!
That is definitely a possibility! It seemed like half the time we came to pick up our five-year-old in the Club this fall he was playing a board game one-on-one with one of the CMs. They really are terrific.
Eastern Caribbean, Disney Fantasy, November 2014
STLEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #22
ratt1345
Always wishing I was Disney cruisin'!!!

If it was just you and another adult, I would say try the 4 night cruise. Although, you probably would fit in the category that most of us fit in...you would see that it is too short. With that said, in your situation and reading what others have said about special needs, I would say do the 7 night cruise. It sounds like your child may need the time to adjust. Whatever you choose, I hope you and your family have a great time!!!!
ratt1345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #23
SG101
Mouseketeer

I agree with everyone else --- in your circumstances, a 3 - 4 day would be a great way to see if you like cruising. My hubby and I did that years ago just to see if we would like it. When we had kids ,we said we would definitely do a 7 day. This will be our 2nd 7 day DCL cruise, and the kids are so excited.
* Disney Wonder 7 Days Mexican Riviera April 2011
* Disney Fantasy 7 Days Western Caribbean Feb 2013
* Disney Wonder 7 Days Alaska June 2014 (We're finally Gold!!!)
* Disney Wonder 5 Days San Diego October 2015
SG101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:15 AM   #24
pyramid2000
Member of the DD Geek invasion of CC
How exacty do you iron on a T-****?

There is nothing wrong with a 3 day cruise. You can see if you like it and always try to go back if you do. $1200 is a lot for just one more day ($300 pp)! You could do a couple days at WDW. As for the party atmosphere, that is mostly what people say about Carnival, etc. Have fun with whatever you decide!

1988- 1st trip to WDW/senior class trip : 1990- Carnival cruise from Puerto Rico : 5/00- 3 night CB/4 night Magic : 9/05- 4 night PO/3 night Wonder : 1/06 - 7 night Western Magic: 7/06- 5 night RCCL Explorer (Bermuda):12/09/06- 7 night Magic-DD Geek Party: 8/17/08- 15 night EBPC Magic : 11/01/09- 4 night Wonder:: 2/20/11- 4 night Dream : 11/10/11 - 3 night Dream : 10/13/12 - 7 night Western Fantasy : 04/04/13 - 4 night Miami Wonder : 01/13/14 - 4 night Magic :
pyramid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:20 AM   #25
realityland
Mouseketeer

Location: Latitude 27° 5' 59.199" Longitude -82° 27' 15.3475" (Venice, Florida)

We did a 4-night, since it was our first cruise - and we were going with our two children (a 9 month old and a 9 year old.). We opted for the shorter cruise, kind of to test the waters for our first cruise. We had a blast and are ready to bump to a 7-night next time. The 4-night taught us a lot about how to pack for a 7-night cruise. As a first cruise wth young children, the 4-night was a great choice.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: