Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
SleepyDeb
Mouseketeer

Best Excursions Western Carribbean

I'd like to ask for some advice. DH and I (alone) are going to the western Carribbean on the Fantasy in Jan. We want to snorkel, see Mayan ruins, and see Stingrays, I'd also like to get some shopping in at Grand Cayman. We are going to parasail on CC and plan on spending the rest of the day on the beach. Any advice on which ports to do each activity? Thanks.
SleepyDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #2
STLEdge
Mouseketeer

We did the Mayan Ruins (Chacchoben) at Costa Maya, mainly because if you do them in Cozumel, you'll have to take a 45-minute ferry ride from Cozumel to the mainland and I've heard some horror stories about that, though I'm sure it's fine most of the time.

Chacchoben was very nice - we got to climb on some of the ruins and our tour guide Miguel was first rate. It's about a one-hour bus ride from the port. It was definitely what we expected for a Mayan ruins tour and I'd recommend it.
Eastern Caribbean, Disney Fantasy, November 2014
STLEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-30-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
Chee Chick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLEdge
We did the Mayan Ruins (Chacchoben) at Costa Maya, mainly because if you do them in Cozumel, you'll have to take a 45-minute ferry ride from Cozumel to the mainland and I've heard some horror stories about that, though I'm sure it's fine most of the time.

Chacchoben was very nice - we got to climb on some of the ruins and our tour guide Miguel was first rate. It's about a one-hour bus ride from the port. It was definitely what we expected for a Mayan ruins tour and I'd recommend it.
DH and DS did this excursion last week and really enjoyed it. There are two different excursions for Chacchoben. One is for families and the other is an adults only tour.

Chee Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
o&smom
Mouseketeer

Myself , DH and DS 9 enjoyed the shipwreck snorkle on GC, Chacchoben in Costa Maya, the 3 reef snorkle in Cozumel, and we fed and swam with the stingrays at Castaway Cay - all with Disney!

Enjoy!

Marni
Disney Magic 12-Day E Med Cruise with Greece & Turkey June 2013
Disney Fantasy Very Merry Christmas/ New Year '14/'15 - Hello Gold!
Disney Magic N European Cruise June 2015
DL - 1/07, DLH 2/09, GC 1/10, GC 1/14
WDW - POR, Epcot, MK 4/12
DLP - 6/13
o&smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
cdndisney
Earning My Ears

We did the Island Tour and Stingray City while in Grand Cayman. Stingray City was the highlight of all the excursions that we did. You will not be disappointed with it. It was also nice to see the Island and the stop at the Turtle Farm was fun.
cdndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #6
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

We went to Chacchoben in Costa Maya with The Native Choice and had a wonderful experience.

In Grand Cayman we did the Island and Stingray tour with The Native Way and there was no snorkeling so I would not recommend that one. The experience was great but I wanted to snorkel.

Someone said the only ruins in Cozumel are on the main land and that is not correct. San Gervasio is a site on the island.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
FabFivePA
Mouseketeer

Yep, definitely hit stingray city in Grand Cayman. We went with Stingray Sailings because of their beautiful catamaran and the group they take out is very small compared to the others. Great excursion!
FabFivePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
Imedley200
Mouseketeer

In Grand Cayman we did the Stingray City, Coral Gardens and Starfish snorkel tour with Native Way. We had a great time and the stingrays were a once in a lifetime experience. We were there right after the time change so there was a little confusion with that but we'd use them again. Andrew and Andrew were our guides and they were awesome!
Imedley200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:40 PM   #9
Golden Rose
Princess by Choice

You've got several options for ruins. I would recommend either Tulum (take the ferry from Cozumel to the mainland) or Chacchoben from Costa Maya. Yes, as mentioned, San Gervasio is on Cozumel, but it isn't nearly as impressive as the other sites. Both Tulum and Chacchoben are fascinating sites, and well worth doing.

The infamous ferry ride between the mainland and Cozumel can be rough. We've done it several times over the years, and had a truly dreadful experience on our most recent return. The afternoon ferry was crowded, hot, had rough seas, and lots of people vomiting. Tulum is gorgeous and worth seeing, but just be aware that you may have to put up with 45 minutes of misery. It isn't always that bad, but it can be.

Plan on stingrays on Grand Cayman. You can snorkel there too, and any of several good locations.

We also like Chankanaab on Cozumel for snorkeling, dolphin swims, sea lion encounters, and relaxing on the beach.

(me) (DH) (DS 8) (DD 3) (4 cats) (52 fish) (and a frog)
Golden Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #10
noahsmom
2002 - Poly & Wonder; 2004 - Poly & Wonder; 2006 - AKL & Magic; 2007 - SSR & Wonder; 2008 SSR only; 2009 Kidani, SSR & Magic to Tortola; 2010 Double dip Wonder & WDW road trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imedley200 View Post
In Grand Cayman we did the Stingray City, Coral Gardens and Starfish snorkel tour with Native Way. We had a great time and the stingrays were a once in a lifetime experience. We were there right after the time change so there was a little confusion with that but we'd use them again. Andrew and Andrew were our guides and they were awesome!
We also did this and it was FABULOUS!! The Andrews are terrific, each stop was was amazing. Best excursion ever! Lots of snorkeling.
Here's some of the starfish:

and the coral garden:

of course, the sting rays (ds kissing one):
Old 12-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #11
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsmom View Post
We also did this and it was FABULOUS!! The Andrews are terrific, each stop was was amazing. Best excursion ever! Lots of snorkeling.
Here's some of the starfish:

and the coral garden:

of course, the sting rays (ds kissing one):
beautiful pictures!
jdb in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:23 AM   #12
myxdvz
DVC - BLT

Is there a minimum age for the snorkel tours? The Stingray one sounds fab!
Dec 2006 - X DLR / May 2010 - XY WDW, ASMo / March 2011 - XYZ DVC/DCL (AKV, Dream, OKW, Hilton) / Jan 2012 - XYZ DLR, PPH, VGC / June 2013 - WXYZ WDW, BCV/BWV / Oct 2013 - HKDL / Nov 2013 - WXYZ WDW/BLT/WBC, DCL/Magic / Mar 2014 WDW/OKW /
June 2014 HHI

myxdvz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: