Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
Rambler5678
DIS Veteran

Port Preferred Parking

Has anyone used this and parked close to the ship? How big is the parking lot and was it easy to find a parking spot?

Thanks,
Old 11-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

We haven't used it, but it is the old lot that was used by the Magic's guests before the parking garage opened inside the gate and right next to the terminal. Yes, it is really convenient, but the garage isn't that far away IMO. There were not many cars there when we got to the port around noon.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

I, personally, would not pay more to park there...it is not that much closer than the parking garage...literally only yards apart....unless of course someone needed to be closer for mobility reasons.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 1 time

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:42 AM   #4
princesslondon
Mouseketeer

We just got a cruise and our family that was traveling with us parked there. The only negative, there car was covered in bird poop!
princesslondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:57 AM   #5
AnotherPrincess
DIS Veteran

I don't even remember seeing this parking lot but i can't imagine it being better than the garage! When I first read this I was worried I had missed something and now they are calling the garage "preferred" to charge more. It's literally so close to the ship, we could have seen our car from the ship if we'd tried.
AnotherPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:16 AM   #6
realityland
Mouseketeer

Location: Latitude 27° 5' 59.199" Longitude -82° 27' 15.3475" (Venice, Florida)

$75 for the garage and $95 for the preferred. Preferred is a small lot (maybe 50 spaces) that is about 100 feet closer to the terminal. Preferred is uncovered.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #7
JimGA
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler5678 View Post
Has anyone used this and parked close to the ship? How big is the parking lot and was it easy to find a parking spot?

Thanks,
I have not used the preferred parking or any parking for that matter, lol, but I did read from a post a few weeks/months ago that the benefit of the preferred parking is that you get on the road quicker, a lot quicker. If you have ever been stuck in a parking deck after a large sporting event or concert gets out? I guess that is what it is like at the DCL parking deck when 4000 get off the boat.

So if getting on the road rather quickly is priority for you, then go with preferred for a few more dollars.

Disney World 1978, 1995, 2010, 2011
PORS 2010, POFQ 2011, CBR 2012

Disney Dream, May 2013
Disney Fantasy, Thanksgiving 2015
JimGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
Plaid Princess
Recovering CM, Pilot in Training

I've used both and I prefer the structure. Your car is in the shade for the duration of the cruise, no bird poop, and I found it easier to exit after the cruise.

I also found the security on the upper level from the parking structure to be less crowded. I dropped off my party and luggage at the drop off area and then circled around, parked the car, went through security and actually beat my group to the check in queue!

Plaid Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #9
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGA View Post
I have not used the preferred parking or any parking for that matter, lol, but I did read from a post a few weeks/months ago that the benefit of the preferred parking is that you get on the road quicker, a lot quicker. If you have ever been stuck in a parking deck after a large sporting event or concert gets out? I guess that is what it is like at the DCL parking deck when 4000 get off the boat.

So if getting on the road rather quickly is priority for you, then go with preferred for a few more dollars.
The ship is hugely different than a sporting event. First, disembarkation is spread over a 90-120 minute period--not everyone is trying to leave at the same time. Secondly, the vast majority of people do not have a vehicle in the parking garage. Only a fraction of the guests drove to the cruise, and many of those opted for less costly off site parking. Typically there would only be a couple hundred cars trying to exit in that 90 minute period. That CAN get a little frustrating, but it is nothing like leaving after a concert or sporting event. Our experience has been that we are behind 2-3 other vehicles in line, which isn't bad at all. If you are not in a rush to get on your way, hang back till 8 or 8:30. Those in a hurry are gone and the line is non-existent.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:48 PM   #10
Plaid Princess
Recovering CM, Pilot in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
If you are not in a rush to get on your way, hang back till 8 or 8:30. Those in a hurry are gone and the line is non-existent.
And why leave the ship a moment earlier than absolutely unnecessary!

Plaid Princess is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: