Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 07:28 AM   #1
dorito6778
Earning My Ears

transportation from WDW to port?

do i book with the resort or the cruise line?
dorito6778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
erionm
DIS Veteran

You would call DCL.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

DCL Transfers are booked through the Cruise Line. If you used at Travel Agent then they will do it for you. If you booked directly with DCL you need to call them.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
All Things Simba
Can't stop taking photographs!

Smile WDW to the Port

DCL transportation is $35 pp. You arrange it through your TA if you are using one, or through DCL.

But...if you have multiple people in your party, it may be more cost effective to use a rental car or use a car service like Tiffany Town Car or Happy Limo. That $35 pp really adds up.

PLUS... we don't like how the DCL bus service gets us to the port so late on embarkation day... like between 1-2PM. So this cruise we are using Tiffany Town Car (about $145) for the 2 of us and they'll pick us up at our WDW resort at 10:00 AM. It is 1 hr. and 10 minutes to the port... and we won't be stopping at any resorts on the way. We will be able to enjoy the sit down restaurant on the ship for lunch that way. It's my DH's one splurge for our trip. We've used this company in the past and they're great.

Happy Limo has buses that can accommodate a lot of people and a lot of luggage. They pick up at the WDW resorts between 10:30 - 10:45 AM; much earlier than DCL's pick up time of 12-12:30 PM. They have great rates!

If you want to use DCL's transportation and want to get to the port early... you could arrange for Disney's Magical Express to pick you up at the resort and go to the Orlando airport, then use the DCL transportation for the airport to the port. I little more time consuming, but you'll get on board earlier in the day!
8/99-CSR, 1/02-CBR, 2/04-POP, 8/05-DCL Panama Canal Cruise!, 12/07-AKL & POLY for Christmas, 1/09-POFQ & DCL Eastern w/St. Croix!, 10/09 POFQ WDW for Halloween & DCL Halloween Cruise, 4/13-POP Girls trip to WDW for the Epcot F&G Festival!, 10/13-WDW for Halloween and DCL Eastern for niece's wedding on Castaway Cay!

All Things Simba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:12 AM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

The above has it covered. There are many good transportation services in Orlando, and the break even point between a private towncar/limo service vs. DCL transportation is about 4 people. More than 4 and a private service will be cheaper. Fewer than 4 and DCL will come out ahead financially.

DCL transfers are easy (most of the time), but I don't like the late arrival. They won't get you to the terminal till 1:30 or 2pm depending on traffic. Of course, if the bus has a flat or catches on fire (which did happen once!) they will send another bus and hold the ship for you.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
manateesmom
Mouseketeer

Another vote for rental car. We've previously done a one-way rental from MCO to Cape Canaveral (Avis). There are several that have no one-way fees (be sure to check), and it was only $30-something for the one-way from MCO to Cape Canaveral for the cruise, then about $70ish for the one-way from Cape to MCO. All of the rental agencies have free shuttles to the cruise port. What we did was have DH drop kiddo and me with the luggage at the cruise port, he dropped off the car and took the shuttle back to the ship. I'd personally not pay $35/person for a transfer that would cost me time on the ship. You pay for that first day, might as well get as much use out of it as possible.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
kkbutterfly
Mouseketeer

We did WDW transfer and loved it! It was so easy and I didn't have to worry about anything. They came and got our luggage at 8am and we boarded the bus at 12. When we got off the ship, we just said we were going back to WDW and hopped on a bus and within 15 minutes were on our way back 'home'. Great to not have to worry about driving, parking, ect!
Old 11-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #8
aan1701
DIS Veteran

We always use DCL transfers for piece of mind. Yes it costs more than a car service or whatever, but if something happens on the way the ship will wait. If you don't use their transfers and something goes wrong for whatever reason the ship will sail without you. I am willing to sacrifice 2-3 hours on the ship and the higher cost for the piece of mind that I will get my vacation.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards
DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.
aan1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:45 PM   #9
chemnerd09
Mouseketeer

That's how we feel as well. We only have 3 people so the cost isn't that much different for us. I'd rather use Disney transportation and be assured of getting on the ship since it will be our first cruise. I also have travel issues and rather be on a chartered bus than in a town car. A RV would be even better for me but since I doubt Disney has those for travel, I'll go with the bus.

chemnerd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

I loved using DCL transfers. You have some extra time at the resort in the morning, your luggage is picked up from your room and when you board the ship, you can go directly to your stateroom to drop off your carry ons before heading to lunch.
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: