Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #46
julydeya
Mouseketeer

Old 11-16-2012, 10:00 AM   #47
Velvetia
Mouseketeer

Wednesday 18th October – Day Four, Part One - Having a Magical Time in Fantasyland

We had an early rise as we wanted to make rope drop at Disneyland today – our first day-time visit to this park – and we were hoping to get to do lots of rides today…

We had another great breakfast at Park Vue Inn and then wandered over the road (we never got tired of loving the nearness of the hotel!). We queued up at the turnstiles and waited around 20 minutes before being let in through the turnstiles. As we’d arrived just around nightfall on our previous visit, at the Halloween party, this was our first chance to check out Main Street and Sleeping Beauty’s Castle in the daylight – it did not disappoint. I love the castle! I've been trying to steer clear of comparisons between DL and WDW...but The Original Disneyland, Walt's own Main St and Sleeping Beauty's Castle just knocks me out!

Now DS7 loves – as I’ve already hinted – dinosaurs…he also loves trains, so the Disneyland train was the best of both exciting worlds to him. We’d decided that for our first mission of the day, we were going to try to request a ride on the Lilly Belle so we headed straight to the train station and waited there for around 10 minutes. When the park opened, so did the station and we asked the attendant if we could sign up to ride the Lilly Belle. Bad news… we were told it was forecast to be too hot today to utilize the Lilly Belle…ah well, c’est la vie! We could always try another day…

So, we decided DG and DSs would head for Fantasyland whilst I would go to get FPs for Star Tours, and we split up at the hub. My quest nearly defeated me… why oh why are the Star Tours FP machines right over the ‘street’ from the ride, where you'd (okay I'd) think the Buzz FP machines would be? I wandered around without any success of finding these darn Star Tours FP machines, looking all around the actual ride building until I ended up at Captain EO…after checking my daily schedule that it was actually an FP ride, I then had to backtrack to ask a CM at the entrance to the ride who walked me over to them – ah they’re quite close to the ride after all… I felt so dumb!

With FPs (finally) in hand I made my way to Peter Pan to find DG and DSs – the line was posted at 25 minutes at this point and I spotted them about halfway up the line. I waved and said I’d wait for them by the exit, but then a little Disney magic came our way as the very kind people who were behind them in the queue waved me into the queue explaining we could ride four people to a boat so it made no difference, I could ride with my family and wouldn’t be queue-jumping…brilliant news! . So we all went ‘off to Neverland’ together – it is a gorgeous, feel-good ride!

Next up for us was Dumbo – which was practically a walk on, I loved the feathers that the CMs give you prior to boarding:

I loved the view of Fantasyland that Dumbo afforded – it was really quiet in this land at this time, apart from a big queue at Peter Pan.

Then the DSs tried their luck with the Sword in the Stone:

And we walked on to Pinocchio and then Snow White. Don't touch that apple...!

The older rides are noticabley a lot jerkier – and we found it quite an abrupt ending to the Snow White ride…with a non-sequitous 'And they lived happily ever after' board as we exited. Maybe this was added later - like the figure of Snow White - to put the rider in a happier place as they leave? Anyone know...?

By now it was 10am and we were pretty pleased with what we’d achieved in Fantasyland in the first hour. I headed to ToonTown to grab FPs for Roger Rabbit whilst the others rode Mr Toad.

As I came back towards Fantasyland from Toontown, who should I see but Mary Poppins and Bert just wandering around, (no handler and no photographer, I just loved that) in this pretty deserted area (on the way up to Small World) so I waved a jolly ‘hello’ to them.

I met DG and DSs just coming out of Mr Toad and we all went to see if Mary and Bert were still having a jolly stroll – they were:

Bert loved that we had an autograph card for him to sign with his picture on it! Ms Poppins told us 'DociousExpi...' oh, you know...the biggest word you've ever heard, backwards, which was in DS5's words 'awesome' !

Now, we had another mission - we had all seen and loved the only Disney animated film to be set in our native land, and the DSs were really keen to meet a real Scottish princess.

First, a little exposition… we visited Walt Disney World in July 2011, and I had taken along a few little ‘presents’ to give to any CMs that we might meet who were exceptional in our opinion. This was a DISboard tip, as they are not allowed to receive gratuities. So, that holiday we had taken some little boxes of Edinburgh Rock (it’s a sickly sweet soft candy). These proved really effective, we handed out about 5 boxes I think to show our appreciation to various different CMs.

Well, when we had been planning this holiday to Disneyland, and had been speaking about meeting Merida, DS7 said he wanted to take some Edinburgh Rock to give her, to remind her of home aww… I thought that was a sweet thought and so didn’t point out that Merida’s from the highlands, nowhere near Edinburgh …anyway we bought three boxes of the stuff to take. One box simply had to be 'tried' by the DSs themselves of course, they pointed out , so we would give one box to Merida and then have another box for another CM whom we should meet.

So, there was no getting around the fact that to achieve our mission, we would have to queue up to meet Merida. It was probably our third longest queue the entire holiday – around 35 mins… (only Universal’s Studio Tour and the yet to be reported Meeting Mickey were longer). We spotted colouring at the nearby tables but these weren’t open - shame, this would have been good to do whilst waiting.

Well, we eventually made it to Merida and she just loved her gift, which made DS7’s day!

She was great fun, and quite feisty as she is in the movie, having a ‘who has the loudest roar’ competition with the DSs –it was a close call, her roar was pretty loud… and the bear cubs behind her joined in too!

She asked if we wanted to try our hand at archery and took us over to some other of her clan members who gave the DSs some tips on hitting the targets. They really loved this activity:

At this point we nabbed a photopass photo as we passed the castle:

Then headed to New Orleans Square for our upcoming lunch reservation - and my favourite meal of the entire holiday...where could it be…(Club 33? The popcorn stand?)... you’ll just have to wait until next time to find out…

Me DGranny : DS9 DS7

Last edited by Velvetia; 06-01-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Velvetia is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-17-2012, 03:07 AM   #48
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Enjoying your TR. Looks like you're all having a fantastic time.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:47 AM   #49
Velvetia
Mouseketeer

Hi PiO - I'm glad you're enjoying it, thanks for the comments! We did have a wonderful time, our best holiday ever! Ready for another instalment? Here goes...

Last edited by Velvetia; 11-17-2012 at 06:14 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:06 AM   #50
Velvetia
Mouseketeer

Wednesday 18th October - Day Four, Part Two - ARRRRGH!

As we headed through Frontierland we saw Woody meeting and greeting, and a street show by cowboys just outside the Golden Horseshoe. This is a great area, there was always something going on here.

So...where were we lunching? Our reservation was for an early lunch at Blue Bayou.

There was quite a line for check in and this area is really quite a busy thoroughfare, but eventually after around 10 minutes queing we checked in and asked politely if it would be possible to have a waterside table. We waited in the foyer of the Blue Bayou along with lots and lots of others…this sure is a popular place.

We waited maybe another 10 minutes in this area - quite a few parties were seated before us, as each one was called we were thinking of our diminishing chances of having a water-side table. Ah well. At last our name was called, and a waitress showed us to an amazing table right by the water!!!! Woo – hoo! Our luck was in!

The atmosphere in this restaurant is just amazing, photos do not do it justice, it outdid what we had imagined and hoped. As we were seated and given our menus in the swampy darkness, under the paper lanterns and listening to the cicada chirrup we were all a bit in gleeful shock and awe! We just couldn’t believe that we were here, we had been so looking forward to this meal for so long, and we had such a wonderful table –we really did appreciate it!

We were all very happy!

This lunch was my favourite of the entire trip. The setting and the food were just wonderful. It was amazing to watch the boats passing on the POTC ride. As we hadn’t ridden this yet, we didn’t know whereabouts in the ride you passed the Blue Bayou, so we decided that we would definitely have to ride this afternoon and pick out where we had been sitting earlier!

The food was wonderful, I had the salmon dish, with perfect creamy dauphinoise potatoes and vegetables (green beans I think) with a delicious citrus butter. DG had jambalaya and gumbo. The DSs had mac n cheese. We all ordered the Minute Maid punch drinks with the light up characters, which were perfect in this very dark restaurant. DG and I had light up Tinks and the DSs were very happy with their skeleton pirate lights! I didn't take any food pictures (sorry!)...

The portions here are huge, we were all too full to think about desserts and agreed we would have Dole Whips later on in the park for a dessert.

We all left very happy, full and feeling piratey – how could we get even more piratey?…well by hitting our next stop:

Pirates League

The CMs here were just brilliant – really keeping in an ‘aaarrgh’ Pirates character, with lots of ad-libbing. The DSs were given a choice for their pirate makeover, DS7 chose Blackbeard and DS5 chose Jake (from the Neverland pirates)…

The setting for the Pirates League is the Court of Fools (I think that’s right?) and it was a wonderful backdrop.

As we were there, the wandering pirate band, the Bootstrappers came down the stairs singing a song, which added brilliantly to the atmosphere. I’d highly recommend this experience for any little would-be pirates out there. The DSs loved it!

Here is Blackbeard in the making:

...and Jake in the making:

They had to take the pirate oath:

And were finally, fully certified pirates ARRRRRGH! :

So with Blackbeard and Jake in our party... we had to ride Pirates of the Caribbean now – and spot the Blue Bayou, which is right at the start of the ride, before the drops! This was one of our favourite rides – it is just brilliant, and we really liked spotting Captain Jack throughout the ride.

After our trip to Tortuga, we decided to get those desserts, and made our way through Frontierland, to the Tiki rooms.

We stopped to peruse the wonderful Ray Bradbury tree:

There was a huge queue at the Dole Whip stand but using the DISboard tip of joing the (much shorter) queue inside the Tiki Rooms courtyard, we soon had our Dole Whips and found a shady bench in the courtyard to enjoy them. Mmmm!

Up next - Heading Big Thunder way...

Last edited by Velvetia; 06-02-2013 at 04:34 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #51
Riniel
Mouseketeer

Great trip report so far! My mum is British, so the quest for good tea on Disney trips is a familiar one! I'll be following along
Old 11-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #52
julydeya
Mouseketeer

Old 11-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #53
Velvetia
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riniel View Post
Great trip report so far! My mum is British, so the quest for good tea on Disney trips is a familiar one! I'll be following along
Glad you are enjoying it - good to have you along

Old 11-27-2012, 02:06 AM   #54
kayleigh83
Plotting my return...

Such a wonderful trip report, I'll be checking back for more! I love seeing how awestruck your boys were by the princesses and all the sweet questions they asked them!! It's lovely to see a TR by someone who truly "gets" the Disneyland magic and makes the most of it!!
kayleigh83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #55
Velvetia
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleigh83 View Post
Such a wonderful trip report, I'll be checking back for more! I love seeing how awestruck your boys were by the princesses and all the sweet questions they asked them!! It's lovely to see a TR by someone who truly "gets" the Disneyland magic and makes the most of it!!
I'm really glad you are enjoying it Kayleigh! We did all truly feel we were in the happiest place on earth!

Old 11-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #56
Velvetia
Mouseketeer

Wednesday 18th October - Day Four, Part Three - Guess What the Goats Did...

After our Dole Whips, we made our way back through Frontierland to head towards Big Thunder Ranch. DS5 was a little disappointed that Woody wasn’t meeting and greeting in Frontierland this time, as he had decided that he wanted to meet him…why he didn’t decide this earlier when Woody was actually here, I don’t know

As we headed towards Big Thunder Ranch we saw there was a huge queue waiting to get in – I hadn’t realized the ranch was only open at certain times. We didn’t fancy queuing, so instead we went to the petting zoo just outside the Ranch, where we all really enjoyed meeting the goats.

A CM explained that all the goats have Disney names, the one we were petting was Leota. We loved their Halloween bandanas.

There was one cute little (lost?) sheep, maybe he thought he was a goat ?

The DSs were really enjoying themselves, and both had a go with the goat grooming brush but then things got even more memorable… as they were watching, one of the goats decided to poo – well, what can I say…little boys… this was just hysterically hilarious to DS7 and DS5…they were giggling away for a good five minutes! A highlight of the day for them! Goats pooing! (ha ha). We had the request a couple of times in the next few days “Can we go back and see the goats poo?”…little boys are strange creatures…

When they’d finally got themselves together after their hysteria… we left the petting enclosure to go and wash our hands at the washing station, and we saw that the queue had gone, and the big ranch gates were open, so it was time to explore the Big Thunder Ranch Jamboree.

The line to conjure a villain was tooo long for us. We all loved the carved pumpkins:

And we even came across a familiar Pirate Pumpkin!

And one of the artists was kind enough to show us the Tinkerbell pumpkin she was working on. They are so artistic and creative!

The DSs really enjoyed the carnival games – this bit of the ranch was really well done, and as ever the CMs were great at engaging the kids in the spooky games.

And they both had their fortune told by the magic fortune telling wheel:

Now, Billy Hill & The Hillbillies were going to be on soon and so too were characters, I guess, BUT the DSs did not want to hang around to see them, so I can’t report on what the character interaction was like. Neither did they want to go visit Toon Town and ride Roger Rabbit with the FPs we’d got earlier - they desperately needed to go on Mr `toad again...

And then to ride the train and see the dinosaurs! So we headed for the Toon Town train station. Good news! The train we got on was one with the seats facing sideways, so DS7 got a perfect view of the Dinosaurs!

Coming up next - Heading into Tomorrowland...

Last edited by Velvetia; 06-01-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:24 PM   #57
julydeya
Mouseketeer

Old 11-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #58
kayleigh83
Plotting my return...

Great update! I love that petting zoo!! The goat up top in your first picture seems to be the same one in a picture I took in July! I've got a few of the goats and probably that same lamb too! They're so adorable!
kayleigh83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #59
Velvetia
Mouseketeer

Despite my best intentions to get this trip report finished by the end of 2012, it now well into 2013, so high time I got back to work here! Apologies all, I hope some of you are still interested to read along and that you'll join me to journey back to October 2012 and our Halloween Disneyland trip.
[I]

When we left off, we had just ridden the train and seen the dinosaurs...

Wednesday 18th October 2012 - Day Four, Part Four

We went all the way round on the train plus 1 extra journey between stops so we could get off at Tomorrowland and ride Star Tours with the FPs we had got earlier. Even with FPs we had to queue for around 20 minutes, but the ride was excellent and guess who was the rebel spy yours truly! The kids thought that was hilarious. Of course for the rest of the day I was channelling Leia, saying "Help me Obi-Wan, you're my only hope" at every given opportunity!). Our sequence was Darth Vader/ Princess Leia/ Pod racing on Naboo/ Asteroids/ Boba Fett & The Death Star&really good the 3D is amazing here!

After this we came out in the amazing Star Traders store so cool in there! The DSs found the make your own light sabre area but accepted that they didnt have enough pocket money to buy them. They surprise me sometimes with their understanding and good behavior!

DS5 was cooing over the vinylmation monorails which were made over as characters from the Cars movie. And he decided to spend some of his pocket money on one. He got one that was made to look like Doc Hudson. He loved it. I can understand why people love these little Vinylmation creations, and the mystery and suspense of not knowing which one will be inside the box and the silver wrapping paper. DS5 was very happy with his Doc. DS7 got a fabulous Pirate key chain that he was very excited about could be that this is the key to the Dead Mans Chest??

As we came out of the store the DSs loved the fountain in this area.

We had a wander around Tomorrowland, and then we decided to ride the monorail. There was a bit of a queue for this but that gave us a good chance to have a look at the yellow submarines, and decide we would all ride them on Friday when we were going to come again, and we decided wed aim to go on the subs first. As we were waiting for our monorail, we asked a CM if we could ride in the nose cone but were told it was tooooo hot&eh bien! We really enjoyed the round trip ride anyway and spotted The Park Vue Inn from the monorail!

We took the train from Tomorrowland to get to New Orleans Square and then walked through NO Square this is one of my favourite areas in Disneyland, we saw the petrified tree:

(what a strange birthday present from Mr Disney to Mrs Disney!)

and then walked up to Big Thunder for our dinner reservation. We walked along a while behind Goofy in his cool Skeleton Halloween costume. We checked in and had to wait around 10 mins before we were seated, but there are some shady benches right there where we waited to be seated.

Then Big Thunder Ranch Barbeque. A great experience, highly recommended. There was plentiful fabulous food and the entertainment was great, a cowgirl and cowboy singing great songs and bantering with the audience. The cowboy pianist even played James Taylor's 'Sweet Baby James' which is a song I love... Awesome food. Awesome place.

Then we made our way to our first ride on Haunted Mansion Holiday. We walked right on and were just blown away by the overlay - we are definitely on the 'love it' side on this. The gingerbread house and the scent of gingerbread in the dining hall were incredible!

We then Hung out in CandyLand on our way home where the DSs enjoyed playing the Pinocchio game display.

Our last stop was at the Churros cart in the Main Square and then happy but tired we walked across the street to our beds for some zzzzzzz...

Coming up: A Whale of a Tale...

Last edited by Velvetia; 06-02-2013 at 04:35 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #60
julydeya
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the update

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: