Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 11:28 PM   #2701
NEmel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakinbum93 View Post
We are here and just finished our first day in the parks and Mayor Clayton's birthday! Let me just say, no matter how much you are prepared, you can't even imagine how awesome this place is....how awesome Disney is! Favorite at Animal Kingdom was Lion King-I was in tears (could be because we had "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" at our wedding over 15 yrs ago!) and Hollywood Studios was Star Tours but we did not get to finish that park-maybe another day.
GKTW...there are no words to describe how awesome this place is. And happy. Exhausted but tired and ready for day #2 at Universal. My kids want to move here so they can volunteer here forever. And my 13 yr old asked if she could volunteer while we were staying here! Blessed more than I could have ever imagined!
So glad you are enjoying your trip, it sounds amazing!!! Hope the rest of the trip goes well!
Old 11-27-2012, 11:42 PM   #2702
camidges
Mouseketeer

Unhappy

Sadly, we just recently found out that Ryan's wish trip to Orlando will not be happening after all... We had gotten our dates and sent in the paper work for GKTW, when it became apparent to our wish planners that it wasn't really going to work for Ryan to fly. Too many near-impossibilities to work out.

Sooo.... We are sad, but we are now going to make plans to go to Disneyland instead. Guess it will all be OK, and we will make the best of it! Now to find out all about Disneyland wish trips~

Thanks for your help, and all of the info that I have gotten off of this board!

DL Trips: 10/2011 HOJO, 5/2011 HOJO, 3/2009 Staybridge, 9/2006 Residence Inn(Harbor), 9/1996 BWPPI
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-28-2012, 12:22 AM   #2703
angcmom
Earning My Ears

Hi All! It has been a little over a year since Abigail's wish trip and we have talked off and on this entire year about going back to GKTW to volunteer. It looks like things are going to work out for us to do just that in January! The trip will be a surprise for the kids...they have no idea and will find out on Christmas Day.

We will also be going to Disney while there and attending Homeschool Day at HS which the kids will love.

Prior to the wish trip, we had been to Disney twice. I had never even heard of a GAC until our MAW trip and still am not sure of how to request one. I do know that the GAC for a wish trip is completely different than what the general public receives but I'm wondering if I should request one for this trip...or if Abigail even "qualifies" for one.

Her medical condition is thoracic insufficiency caused by congenital scoliosis. One lung is about 3/4 of the size of the other and she currently has a device that is expanding her ribcage so her lung isn't crushed. She does not require an oxygen tank and if you didn't look really close you wouldn't think there was anything wrong. She has surgery every six months and just had #11 about 6 weeks ago. She is completely mobile and does not use a wheelchair. She does get tired but probably not too much more than other kids her age. She has had more pain since this last surgery but who knows how she will be doing two months from now.

I guess my question is what are your thoughts on getting a GAC based on the above information?

Thanks!

Pre-trip report! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post42896165
Old 11-28-2012, 02:37 AM   #2704
angel's momma
DIS Veteran

lakinbum93 - Glad you are having a wonderful time. So wonderful that your kids want to volunteer.

camidges - So sorry Ryan can't go after all. I hope you have a wonderful time at Disneyland.

angcmom - So wonderful that you are going to volunteer at GKTW What a wonderful Christmas surprise I hope you have a great trip.

Pretrip Report: Angel's Make a Wish Cruise on the Dream /and extended days at WDW PTR :We have dates 4/13-25
Trip Report: Angel's Make a Wish DREAM Cruise & extended days at wdw: April 13-25, 2013

Previous trips: 2013 Apr. 18-25 2010 May 8-15 2009 Dec. 4-11 2008 Dec. 15-24 2008 Aug. 30-Sept 7
2007 Sept. 1-8 2006 Dec. 9-16 2006 Sept. 26-Oct.3 2005 Sept. 25-Oct.8 2004 Dec. 11-21 All at POP
CRUISE 2013 Apr. 14-18 Disney DREAM
Old 11-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #2705
Nevada Jen
Mouseketeer

Lakinbum, It sounds like you are having an absolutely awesome time! I will be interested to hear whether you can do Magic Kingdom in a day with the Wish Trip GAC.

camidges, that really sucks. Hope I am allowed to say that word. Disneyland will still be great but just not the same. Maybe they can arrange a special meet and greet or something there for you to make it extra special.

Angcmom, I think you will want the GAC if you are going to use a wheelchair but otherwise, in January, I doubt it will make much of a difference. It would be different if it was super hot while you were there. It should be s fun trip!

I think I am more excited for our MAW trip than my wish kid! Perhaps that is because I am usually the one who has to find the money to pay for these elaborate trips! I cannot WAIT to be on vacation!
Old 11-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #2706
carebearkidney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakinbum93 View Post
We are here and just finished our first day in the parks and Mayor Clayton's birthday! Let me just say, no matter how much you are prepared, you can't even imagine how awesome this place is....how awesome Disney is! Favorite at Animal Kingdom was Lion King-I was in tears (could be because we had "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" at our wedding over 15 yrs ago!) and Hollywood Studios was Star Tours but we did not get to finish that park-maybe another day.
GKTW...there are no words to describe how awesome this place is. And happy. Exhausted but tired and ready for day #2 at Universal. My kids want to move here so they can volunteer here forever. And my 13 yr old asked if she could volunteer while we were staying here! Blessed more than I could have ever imagined!
Totally awesome! So glad y'all are having a wonderful time. And your daughter - wow.

Trick or Treat Trip Oct 11-16th 2014
Shades of Green :

Our MAW PTR
To Kidney - and Beyond!

Our kidney-versary trip - celebrating one year anniversary of kidney transplant!
kidney-versary trip 2011

Kidney-versary trip 2011
MAW trip Feb 17 - 23 2013
Old 11-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #2707
carebearkidney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by camidges View Post
Sadly, we just recently found out that Ryan's wish trip to Orlando will not be happening after all... We had gotten our dates and sent in the paper work for GKTW, when it became apparent to our wish planners that it wasn't really going to work for Ryan to fly. Too many near-impossibilities to work out.

Sooo.... We are sad, but we are now going to make plans to go to Disneyland instead. Guess it will all be OK, and we will make the best of it! Now to find out all about Disneyland wish trips~

Thanks for your help, and all of the info that I have gotten off of this board!
I'm sorry that Disney World did not work out. We would like to eventually make it over to Disneyland ourselves, but that flight would have been too much on Matthew. I'm sure it will still be filled with Disney magic and I can't wait to see the photos!

Shades of Green :

Our MAW PTR
To Kidney - and Beyond!

Our kidney-versary trip - celebrating one year anniversary of kidney transplant!
kidney-versary trip 2011

Kidney-versary trip 2011
Old 11-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #2708
kalimom6
Mouseketeer

So we had our reveal today. The kids had no idea about any of this. The wish grantors are Montana highway patrolman. They are the ones who run the organization. We pulled up to pizza hut and the kids were excited to see the patrol cars there. We got out of the car and I asked the kids if they wanted to go say hi. They all said a big no. Except for Elsa, my wish kid.
We walked over to them and the sargeant asked if they wanted to eat lunch with them. Elsa's face lit up and she ran to him and held his hand. The other kids were not so enthused. We had a nice lunch. They gave all the kids a badge to wear plus stuffed animals, yo-yos, pens, coloring pages. Elsa got the only bear that had an actual Montana highway patrol badge on it. Also a camera, SD card, and case, plus an exspense check. 2

2 more days until we leave!!!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #2709
KaylaM
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimom6 View Post
Those of you who have just returned from Orlando, or have traveled there at this time of year, what do I pack? I talked to my nephews mom, who lives 2 hours from there, she said he wears shorts during the day and jeans at night if they go anywhere.
A little bit of everything... We wore shorts, pants, long sleeve, short sleeves, jacket, sweatshirts, daughter wore a hat at night, ugg boots and thick socks. Crazy weather and you just don't know. Warm days and cold days.. The wind seem to be cold and went right through you at times.

Disney Cruise on the Dream Ship December 22-26, 2013.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #2710
NEmel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
So we had our reveal today. The kids had no idea about any of this. The wish grantors are Montana highway patrolman. They are the ones who run the organization. We pulled up to pizza hut and the kids were excited to see the patrol cars there. We got out of the car and I asked the kids if they wanted to go say hi. They all said a big no. Except for Elsa, my wish kid.
We walked over to them and the sargeant asked if they wanted to eat lunch with them. Elsa's face lit up and she ran to him and held his hand. The other kids were not so enthused. We had a nice lunch. They gave all the kids a badge to wear plus stuffed animals, yo-yos, pens, coloring pages. Elsa got the only bear that had an actual Montana highway patrol badge on it. Also a camera, SD card, and case, plus an exspense check. 2

How exciting!! Hope you have a wonderful trip!
Old 11-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #2711
newdrama12
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by angcmom View Post

Her medical condition is thoracic insufficiency caused by congenital scoliosis. One lung is about 3/4 of the size of the other and she currently has a device that is expanding her ribcage so her lung isn't crushed. She does not require an oxygen tank and if you didn't look really close you wouldn't think there was anything wrong. She has surgery every six months and just had #11 about 6 weeks ago. She is completely mobile and does not use a wheelchair. She does get tired but probably not too much more than other kids her age. She has had more pain since this last surgery but who knows how she will be doing two months from now.

I guess my question is what are your thoughts on getting a GAC based on the above information?

Thanks!
For the GAC, the cast members will need to know what accommodations you will need. Specific medical conditions won't help in getting one since the cast member probably will have no idea what that is. To request one, you will just go to Guest Services and tell them what is needed and they will do their best.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:10 PM   #2712
angel's momma
DIS Veteran

Sarah - So glad Elsa had such a special reveal Hope you have a fantastic trip!

Pretrip Report: Angel's Make a Wish Cruise on the Dream /and extended days at WDW PTR :We have dates 4/13-25
Trip Report: Angel's Make a Wish DREAM Cruise & extended days at wdw: April 13-25, 2013

Previous trips: 2013 Apr. 18-25 2010 May 8-15 2009 Dec. 4-11 2008 Dec. 15-24 2008 Aug. 30-Sept 7
2007 Sept. 1-8 2006 Dec. 9-16 2006 Sept. 26-Oct.3 2005 Sept. 25-Oct.8 2004 Dec. 11-21 All at POP
CRUISE 2013 Apr. 14-18 Disney DREAM
Old 11-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #2713
DelanaAndKyra
Mouseketeer

Tonight is the Christmas party, some of my family is off at animal kingdom but Kyra and I stayed back as she is getting exhausted and needs a bit of a break before we do sea world tomorrow. Everything is so overwhelming and amazing! Words will never explain it! Kyra had her wish day on Tuesday and had a private meet and greet with Belle. She was so in total awe! I also did extra and went to the bibbidi bobbidi boutique and she had the full makeover and photo shoot. She LOVED being pampered! Only a couple more sleeps then we go home boo!

Kyras MAW PTR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post45857749

Old 11-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #2714
OhanaDreams
Cute and Fluffy

Quote:

Good job Elsa! Have a wonderful time.

Buglet's Wish Pre-Trip Report

~1997 All Star Music~~2002 Coronado~~2010 All Star Music Family Suite~~2012 Caribbean Beach~2013 G.K.T.W. Dream Factory Wish Trip
Old 11-29-2012, 04:13 PM   #2715
carebearkidney
Mouseketeer

Quote:

That sounds awesome! I hope you took pics to share and remember the moment! It's almost time!!!

Shades of Green :

Our MAW PTR
To Kidney - and Beyond!

kidney-versary trip 2011

Kidney-versary trip 2011
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: