Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #16
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

When I'm standing, I'm watching the parade. When I'm sitting, I'm not watching.

Or is it the other way around...?
Old 11-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #17
niffer5150
Mouseketeer

it costs me nothing to take 5 seconds to make sure i'm not blocking someones view or in the way. i either sit down or move. Disney is a once in a lifetime trip for some people. some people may never get the chance to see that parade again. yes, while i may have the "right" to stand there and be a huge jerk, i'd rather be kind and thoughtful to those around me. if everyone thought about those around them, there'd be little need to fight to get yours.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #18
Victoria3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post

Bottom line--you want a front row seat, get there early enough to secure one. You cannot dictate to others whether they can sit or stand.

I like photographing the parades so I be sure to get there early and stand the whole time. Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #19
KimBeano
Mouseketeer

Even if I have waited a long time for a spot it would break my heart to see a little kid behind me not being able to see. I usually try to make a spot for them to wedge by my kids. It wasn't the kids fault they were born to non-planners. Lol!!
Old 11-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #20
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by niffer5150
it costs me nothing to take 5 seconds to make sure i'm not blocking someones view or in the way. i either sit down or move. Disney is a once in a lifetime trip for some people. some people may never get the chance to see that parade again. yes, while i may have the "right" to stand there and be a huge jerk, i'd rather be kind and thoughtful to those around me. if everyone thought about those around them, there'd be little need to fight to get yours.
Call me a jerk, but a lack of planning on someone else's part is not my problem. If a kid wants to come up in front of me while I stand--fine. All you gotta do is ask.
Mesaboy's DLR Trip Report -- The Quest To See Dumbo Fly

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
Old 11-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #21
sammielynn
DIS Veteran

As I get older I understand the need to stand during a parade.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #22
codimouse
Over 45 Trips to Disney from San Antonio, Tx!

I went through the opposite last Wednesday during the Electric Parade. We were seated 35 minutes early in the handicap section. I sat in my chair, my 6 ft hubby behind me and my 21 year old niece behind my DD17 on my right side.
My DD9 was on my left side next to the rope
Only 2 other families were in this section so plenty of room.
When the parade started the cast member opened the section to anyone.
This family of adults ran into the space which had plenty of viewing space and stood in front of my DD9.
I asked them politely to move. They said no.
I made my child sit in my lap
A woman from that same party tried to get in from of us. I kicked her. Sorry but I did.
She moved but she thought my chair was hers to lean on. RUDE!

Sandi; sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 11-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #23
Michigan
Mom of the Rolling Crew

Location: Westland, MI in the summer Clermont, FL in the Winter

At MNSSHP a grandma with a scooter and 7 of her family members came into the handicap viewing area where the grandma got out of her scooter and stood for the entire parade. But the worst part of it was when the area was filling up and a CM told one of the family members she needed to back up so a kid in a wheelchair could get in the wheelchair viewing area. The woman in I would say was in her late 50's early 60's started crying because she had to stand behind a wheelchair when she was there first. She complained to the CM's manager and got taken to the VIP section to watch the parade.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:45 PM   #24
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Call me a jerk, but a lack of planning on someone else's part is not my problem. If a kid wants to come up in front of me while I stand--fine. All you gotta do is ask.
Third time, now it is really time to stock up on caned tuna, are you ready for zombies attack?

DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
Old 11-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #25
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyNY

Third time, now it is really time to stock up on caned tuna, are you ready for zombies attack?
The Mayan Apocalypse is just around the corner.
Mesaboy's DLR Trip Report -- The Quest To See Dumbo Fly

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
Old 11-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #26
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

I prefer to sit to watch the parades, if there is a curb like along Main Street. If not, then I prefer to stand. It's a comfort thing. But if I'm planning to sit, I get to Main Street very early and get my spot. If I'm planning to stand, I'll grab a spot closer to parade time back in Frontierland or Liberty Square. I don't watch the parades all that often, but when I do, I sometimes wait more than an hour in my chosen seated spot. In fact, once when I planned to video the parade, I sat in my perfect chosen spot for three hours before it started (and I did get a great video out of it).

While I don't think standing in general is ruder than sitting, I do think it's kind of rude to sit waiting for the parade only to stand once the parade starts. Anyone who comes up behind you while you're seated thinks they have a chance at seeing the parade, and they may not have time to locate another spot once they realize you're standing up to watch. They picked their spot based on one set of information that's changed at the last minute. It's the same with the parents who put their kids on their shoulders when the show starts. If you are going to do that, do it from the time you arrive at the venue so others know in advance to not stand behind you. It's not so much what people are doing, but how and when they are doing it, that crosses the line between considerate and inconsiderate.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #27
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The Mayan Apocalypse is just around the corner.
I know, I am afraid we are not helping.

HO HO HO
Old 11-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #28
Wendimn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by codimouse View Post
I went through the opposite last Wednesday during the Electric Parade. We were seated 35 minutes early in the handicap section. I sat in my chair, my 6 ft hubby behind me and my 21 year old niece behind my DD17 on my right side.
My DD9 was on my left side next to the rope
Only 2 other families were in this section so plenty of room.
When the parade started the cast member opened the section to anyone.
This family of adults ran into the space which had plenty of viewing space and stood in front of my DD9.
I asked them politely to move. They said no.
I made my child sit in my lap
A woman from that same party tried to get in from of us. I kicked her. Sorry but I did.
She moved but she thought my chair was hers to lean on. RUDE!

You kicked someone??? Wow...
Old 11-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #29
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla4fun View Post
I prefer to sit to watch the parades, if there is a curb like along Main Street. If not, then I prefer to stand. It's a comfort thing. But if I'm planning to sit, I get to Main Street very early and get my spot. If I'm planning to stand, I'll grab a spot closer to parade time back in Frontierland or Liberty Square. I don't watch the parades all that often, but when I do, I sometimes wait more than an hour in my chosen seated spot. In fact, once when I planned to video the parade, I sat in my perfect chosen spot for three hours before it started (and I did get a great video out of it).

While I don't think standing in general is ruder than sitting, I do think it's kind of rude to sit waiting for the parade only to stand once the parade starts. Anyone who comes up behind you while you're seated thinks they have a chance at seeing the parade, and they may not have time to locate another spot once they realize you're standing up to watch. They picked their spot based on one set of information that's changed at the last minute. It's the same with the parents who put their kids on their shoulders when the show starts. If you are going to do that, do it from the time you arrive at the venue so others know in advance to not stand behind you. It's not so much what people are doing, but how and when they are doing it, that crosses the line between considerate and inconsiderate.
Maybe people who join behind should ask if party plans to sit instead of assuming.

HO HO HO
Old 11-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #30
codimouse
Over 45 Trips to Disney from San Antonio, Tx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendimn

You kicked someone??? Wow...
Not hard. Kind of like a swat with my food still placed on the pedestals of my chair.

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: