Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 10:57 PM   #46
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran
 
MrsScooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,402

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS961 View Post
I'm in the Remy is worth every penny camp as far as the 75 pp dining experience goes. We have done 3 Remy dinners and one 'lunch'

Its a must do if you are a 'foodie' or want to try something like that, to escape the chaos and noise of the crowded dining rooms, and get away from the kids for some adult time

The wine pairing I did once, the other times we did 1-2 glasses each. Can't make a strong recommendation there. I wonder if anyone will order either the 1947 Chateau Cheval Blanc or the 1961 Chateau Latour (25K and 17K respectively the last time I looked.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS961 View Post
I have to agree that Palo does offer a nice kid free ambience but the food quality, variation and presentation in Remy is worth the extra over Palo IMHO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever a Princess View Post
We each ordered a glass of wine. Much cheaper than the wine package.

Disney is definitely up for the challenge. Both DH and I are foodies and are highly discerning ( a.k.a "picky" ) guests.

Remy is superb and amazing. You will love this wonderful experience!!
I very much agree with the above
Loved Remy
I tried the wine pairing once and felt all the wine filled me up too much. I had a better experience with ordering just a glass of wine.

I tried the spa on my first cruise (massage, facial, rain forest) and felt it wasn't worth the money to me
But others like it and feel it is an important part of their vacation
I was shocked when I heard how much people spend on things like Superbowl Tickets, or World Series Tickets but if they have a great time and enjoy it then I guess it is worth it to them. Meanwhile I'm content to watch the games on the home tv

Everyone has their own idea of "worth it". No need to put others down because they have different opinions
__________________
Laurie (Wonder July 2002, Wonder August 2006, Magic PC Repo August 2008, Wonder July 2009, Magic Baltic July 2010, Dream June 2011, Fantasy June 2012, Magic Med June 2013, Wonder Alaska 2014)
MrsScooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:25 AM   #47
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran
 
WanderlustNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 2,669

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillauFr
I'm sure the food is good but I just don't see how they can compete with the food served in most high end restaurants. Can they really get fresh seafood on board? Most of the high end places in Seattle are serving fish that was caught that morning. It does make ea big difference compared to frozen seafood.
I agree.

I read something recently about a cruise line restaurant applying for a michelin star and failing because they couldn't guarantee fresh produce. I can't remember if it was about Remy or another expensive cruise restaurant, but either way, when discussing high quality cooking, there is absolutely no substitute for freshness. Unfortunately, it's pretty much impossible for a cruise liner to serve a meal made from all fresh ingredients.

If I'm paying over $100 p/p for a meal (I agree with the earlier poster who said it's $75 + the cost of main dining room meal that you don't eat), I wouldn't want anything on my plate to have been pre-frozen. For that reason, I won't even consider a meal at Remy. I don't begrudge those who think it's good way of spending your money. It's just that I personally can't see the value.
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #48
Gigi22
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,568

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
Some people "have" to cruise concierge. Some "have" to fly first class.



You can also claim part of the fund-raising dinner as a tax deduction. Can't do that with Remy. Wait. Remy is a rat -- can we count dinner as a donation to the ASPCA?
In Canada when you go to a fundraiser gala dinner sometimes you get a receipt for a charitable donation, sometimes not. Depends how the charity funds the event. Locally our most prestigious fund-raiser gives no charitable receipts to attendees at all. No receipt=no deduction. So you truly donate the entire amount with no compensation.
__________________
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Last edited by Gigi22; 11-27-2012 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Correction
Gigi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #49
STLEdge
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 123

To each their own. We just got back from an October cruise on the Fantasy and did a dinner at Remy and the champagne brunch. Between tips and taking home some champagne with us, each cost in the $350 neighborhood. You don't have to spend that much though - as previous posters said, the wine pairing is optional; you could order 1 glass of wine each and get out for under $200 (the opening champagne cocktail is complimentary). The champagne brunch is even less expensive - the only reason we spent so much was that we took home three bottles of champagne to drink at the holidays while remembering what a great experience we had at Remy.

We absolutely felt like we got our money's worth. The food and service are impeccable and a comparable dinner on land would easily cost more. Dinner lasts for over 3 hours and at 2 oz. of wine per pairing, I never felt uncomfortably full at all - and I regularly don't finish even the portions they serve in the MDR.

There is a lot of helpful information in this thread if you are deciding whether or not to spend the money on Remy. I would simply recommend reading the posts from the people that have done Remy for advice and not the posts from the people who have not. Again - everyone has their own opinions, some would prefer to spend this kind of money on a cabana at CC or another excursion or anything else. I will say this again - the most memorable experience of our October cruise was the champagne brunch at Remy.
__________________
Bahamas, Disney Dream, October 2011
Western Caribbean, Disney Fantasy, October 2012
Bahamas, Disney Dream, October 2013
Eastern Caribbean, Disney Fantasy, November 2014
STLEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #50
pjacobi
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 836

$10 an ounce?

5 X 2oz for $99? Thatís $10 per ounce!

At that price, the wine would have to come from a bottle worth $250. Are the wines really of that quality, or are you paying for the service of someone pre-selecting the wines?


-Paul
pjacobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #51
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran
 
MrsScooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,402

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLEdge View Post
To each their own. We just got back from an October cruise on the Fantasy and did a dinner at Remy and the champagne brunch. Between tips and taking home some champagne with us, each cost in the $350 neighborhood. You don't have to spend that much though - as previous posters said, the wine pairing is optional; you could order 1 glass of wine each and get out for under $200 (the opening champagne cocktail is complimentary). The champagne brunch is even less expensive - the only reason we spent so much was that we took home three bottles of champagne to drink at the holidays while remembering what a great experience we had at Remy.

We absolutely felt like we got our money's worth. The food and service are impeccable and a comparable dinner on land would easily cost more. Dinner lasts for over 3 hours and at 2 oz. of wine per pairing, I never felt uncomfortably full at all - and I regularly don't finish even the portions they serve in the MDR.

There is a lot of helpful information in this thread if you are deciding whether or not to spend the money on Remy. I would simply recommend reading the posts from the people that have done Remy for advice and not the posts from the people who have not. Again - everyone has their own opinions, some would prefer to spend this kind of money on a cabana at CC or another excursion or anything else. I will say this again - the most memorable experience of our October cruise was the champagne brunch at Remy.
Yes, I was thinking the same thing about giving more weight to the recommendations (pro or con) of people that had actually dined in Remy

If someone was asking if the cabanas are worth it or some spa treatment that I had never tried I wouldn't feel the need to discourage someone from trying them when I have no experience with either of them
__________________
Laurie (Wonder July 2002, Wonder August 2006, Magic PC Repo August 2008, Wonder July 2009, Magic Baltic July 2010, Dream June 2011, Fantasy June 2012, Magic Med June 2013, Wonder Alaska 2014)
MrsScooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #52
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran
 
MrsScooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,402

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjacobi View Post
5 X 2oz for $99? Thatís $10 per ounce!

At that price, the wine would have to come from a bottle worth $250. Are the wines really of that quality, or are you paying for the service of someone pre-selecting the wines?


-Paul
When I did the wine pairing the pours were definitely more than 2 ounces.
I guess it depends on the server pouring the wine.

Anyway, the wine pairing is not mandatory. Don't buy it if you don't want it
__________________
Laurie (Wonder July 2002, Wonder August 2006, Magic PC Repo August 2008, Wonder July 2009, Magic Baltic July 2010, Dream June 2011, Fantasy June 2012, Magic Med June 2013, Wonder Alaska 2014)
MrsScooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #53
Rogillio
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjacobi View Post
5 X 2oz for $99? Thatís $10 per ounce!

At that price, the wine would have to come from a bottle worth $250. Are the wines really of that quality, or are you paying for the service of someone pre-selecting the wines?


-Paul

I don't drink enough wine to be able to tell the difference and appreciate a $200 bottle of wine. It could just as well be a $13 bottle of wine from Krogers and I wouldn't know. So paying that much would be a complete waste of money for me.....'cept for maybe braggin' rights that I drank 'really expensive wine'.
__________________
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #54
pjacobi
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 836

What is the VALUE of the wine paring?

I actually might enjoy tasting a couple ounces from $200.00 bottle of wine.

However, I am not interested in being suckered into a sales pitch over the wonderful wine parings, then being served ordinary table wine.

Exactly what wines are served as part of the wine parings? They should be even more memorable than the food.


-Paul
pjacobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #55
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran
 
sissy_ib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,765

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
I don't drink enough wine to be able to tell the difference and appreciate a $200 bottle of wine. It could just as well be a $13 bottle of wine from Krogers and I wouldn't know. So paying that much would be a complete waste of money for me.....'cept for maybe braggin' rights that I drank 'really expensive wine'.
The trick with wine is to drink good wine. Not expensive or cheep wine. Most of my favorites are all under $25 a bottle. I have had some wonderful wines that cost much more than that and some terrible wines that cost much more than that. It is subjective, just like food.
__________________
sissy_ib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #56
KingRichard
DIS Veteran
 
KingRichard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,219

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjacobi View Post
5 X 2oz for $99? Thatís $10 per ounce!

At that price, the wine would have to come from a bottle worth $250. Are the wines really of that quality, or are you paying for the service of someone pre-selecting the wines?


-Paul
Don't forget the 15% tip!
__________________


GRAND SLAM COMPLETE! Feb. 11 Dream, April 12 Wonder(Hawaii), Feb. 13 Fantasy, Feb. 14 Magic, June 14 Wonder(Alaska) 36 NOB
KingRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #57
oybolshoi
You say vacation addict like it's a bad thing...Viva le Mochaccino!!!
Trips on painted lines in parking lots
Plankton's evil minion
 
oybolshoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: OFallon, Missouri
Posts: 11,869

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjacobi View Post
I actually might enjoy tasting a couple ounces from $200.00 bottle of wine.

However, I am not interested in being suckered into a sales pitch over the wonderful wine parings, then being served ordinary table wine.

Exactly what wines are served as part of the wine parings? They should be even more memorable than the food.


-Paul
Look up the Remy menu on the DCL website and then google the prices of each wine if you're really that concerned about it. But don't forget to add the retail markup and then the disney markup and then the cruise markup.

I've been following this thread since you started it and it really seems to me as if you don't want to dine at Remy - justification of cost appears to be something you are really struggling with. I can't imagine that you or your wife will enjoy the experience if you're worried about a cost / benefit analysis of every item you order.

Make a reservation at Palo instead - they have good food there and it's only $20 per person for dinner. You can order a bottle of wine or not; no need to worry about a wine pairing because they don't provide one.

just my read on the situation.
__________________
2009 Food Reviews: Pie That Brownie, Fruitcake!
2008 Food Reviews: We Smelled It; It Had to be Eaten!
2007 Food Reviews: Hungry are the Damned!!
2007 Food Reviews: The Food was not Undelicious!
2006 Food Reviews: As God As My Witness, I'll Never Be Hungry Again!


Join us on the community board for non-Disney food porn and continued good-time tomfoolery: Bendy-Friendies V.4
Feeling Adventurous? Visit Our Food & Travel Blog: Gastropod Travels
oybolshoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #58
NancyIL
DIS Veteran
 
NancyIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 23,887

Quote:
Originally Posted by oybolshoi View Post
Look up the Remy menu on the DCL website and then google the prices of each wine if you're really that concerned about it. But don't forget to add the retail markup and then the disney markup and then the cruise markup.

I've been following this thread since you started it and it really seems to me as if you don't want to dine at Remy - justification of cost appears to be something you are really struggling with. I can't imagine that you or your wife will enjoy the experience if you're worried about a cost / benefit analysis of every item you order.

Make a reservation at Palo instead - they have good food there and it's only $20 per person for dinner. You can order a bottle of wine or not; no need to worry about a wine pairing because they don't provide one.

just my read on the situation.
My "read" of Paul's posts is that he is most concerned about the cost and value of the wine, and not the meal itself.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #59
oybolshoi
You say vacation addict like it's a bad thing...Viva le Mochaccino!!!
Trips on painted lines in parking lots
Plankton's evil minion
 
oybolshoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: OFallon, Missouri
Posts: 11,869

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
My "read" of Paul's posts is that he is most concerned about the cost and value of the wine, and not the meal itself.
the cost of wine is always going to be overpriced when dining out; my feeling is if someone is going to be that concerned about it, don't order it in the first place. it's an option, not a requirement.
__________________
2009 Food Reviews: Pie That Brownie, Fruitcake!
2008 Food Reviews: We Smelled It; It Had to be Eaten!
2007 Food Reviews: Hungry are the Damned!!
2007 Food Reviews: The Food was not Undelicious!
2006 Food Reviews: As God As My Witness, I'll Never Be Hungry Again!


Join us on the community board for non-Disney food porn and continued good-time tomfoolery: Bendy-Friendies V.4
Feeling Adventurous? Visit Our Food & Travel Blog: Gastropod Travels
oybolshoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #60
FJS961
DIS Veteran
 
FJS961's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 1,809

In spite of the logistics of being on a cruise ship at sea, I have been very pleased with my perceived 'freshness' of the food items served at Remy on both ships.

Perhaps it would be a good strategy to go the first night or earlier in the cruise for maximum freshness (in theory anyway).

With the markups on wine at any establishment, it is never a 'good value' ordering wine in the first place, anywhere.
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: