Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #31
GetGlowing
DIS Veteran

I don't get seasick on the boat, I get landsick with vertigo when I get back. Anyone have a remedy for that? It happened last year after our 4-night on the Dream, and just happened again on our 7-night Magic. I returned on Nov 17th and I'm still dizzy (noticed it on day 3 on our first port day). I actually ended up with an ear infection that started on the ship. I've been to the doctor for the infection and have drugs, but I'm still getting the bed spins at night. woooah somebody stop the bed, I need to get off. Going on the Dream again in two weeks and I can't wait so my head will stop spinning. Really! Anyone have experience with that?? Any ideas to combat it?

GetGlowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #32
com_op_2000
DVC Member since '93

DD(adult) sleep on deck one night. No problem with CMs bothering her about being out there while they were cleaning. The fresh air allowed her to get a few hours of sleep and she was complete fine there after.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #33
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGlowing View Post
I don't get seasick on the boat, I get landsick with vertigo when I get back. Anyone have a remedy for that? It happened last year after our 4-night on the Dream, and just happened again on our 7-night Magic. I returned on Nov 17th and I'm still dizzy (noticed it on day 3 on our first port day). I actually ended up with an ear infection that started on the ship. I've been to the doctor for the infection and have drugs, but I'm still getting the bed spins at night. woooah somebody stop the bed, I need to get off. Going on the Dream again in two weeks and I can't wait so my head will stop spinning. Really! Anyone have experience with that?? Any ideas to combat it?
Motion sickness meds also work for those of us who have "reverse sea sickness"

Mal de embarkment is actually more common than most people think. Many people have the rocking underfoot after cruising. Most for a brief time, others for much longer. Generally, the ground rocks for me (particuarly in small spaces, like the shower) about 4-5 days after cruising. However, after my second cruise, it took close to a month before I felt the ground was solid under my feet.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:35 AM   #34
GetGlowing
DIS Veteran

Thanks, I'll give the meclizine a try. But I think the real solution is to cruise more.

GetGlowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:29 PM   #35
motroc
Earning My Ears

Never got seasick before until this last cruise when we were chasing Hurricane Sandy.

The Sea-Eaze they gave us at Guest Services did nothing, but we will tell you that booze definitely does the trick. Almost every CM we spoke with said it as well. And we're not talking beer or wine, it has to be a strong cocktail. It was tough getting the first one down on the last, and roughest, night of the cruise, but after a couple of martinis we were fine. Glad we had the Passport cocktail package from Skyline.

For those who can't or don't drink, Bonine tabs are better than Dramamine. Don't know about magnets or the patch because this was the first time for us.

We experienced land-sickness and vertigo after this last trip. Bonine tabs helped with the nausea. Antivert (or equivalent) tablets helped with the vertigo and balance issues (ask your doc for an Rx).
2/11/00 - 3 Night WDW, 2/13/00 4 Night Magic Bahamas, 5/17/03 - 7 Night Magic Eastern, 11/13/10 - 7 Night Magic Western (Double Dip), 11/3/11 - 3&4 Night Dream B2B, 10/18/12 - 2 Night Epcot Food & Wine, 10/20/12 - 7 Night Fantasy Frankenstorm, 10/27/12 - 8 Night Caribbean Beach Frankenstorm Delay, 11/16/13 - 7 Night Fantasy Eastern, 11/23/13 - 3 Night Busch Gardens Tampa, 2/21/14 - 5 Night Western Wonder (Miami), *11/9/14 7 Night Magic Eastern Caribbean
motroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #36
tinkspixies
Earning My Ears

Motion sickness

We just buy ginger root and break off a piece and sniff it before we leave. And then again after the first port. This will be our 7th cruise next September nad we haven't had any problems. My sister-in-law also uses Bonine.
tinkspixies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #37
Wadekind
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks, I'll give the meclizine a try. But I think the real solution is to cruise more.
YES! Suggestion of the year!
Wadekind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #38
goeva
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I second that. Cruise more and grow sea legs.

MeDH DD DS

Last edited by goeva; 12-27-2012 at 11:59 AM.
goeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #39
Started With a Mouse
DIS Veteran

Got off our first cruise on Sunday, the 14 day Panama Canal one. Go big or go home! Put the patch behind the ear the morning prior to boarding, and repeated every three days. Had a little dry mouth, and minor blurred vision. Never felt sick! Drank like a fish, had inside cabins - the patch conquered all!
Started With a Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #40
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goeva View Post
I second that. Cruise more and grow sea legs.
Really, the only true solution.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #41
loran424
Earning My Ears

We used store brand Bonine. They have it on the ship,complimentary, as well. I was glad I brought my own as I did not feel like tracking it down once my symptoms kicked in. We had rough seas pretty much every day.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:25 AM   #42
adamsclan
Mouseketeer

Bonine worked for 1 cruise like a charm, the next cruise I vomited every single day despite taking it religiously. The 3rd cruise we took, I used the scopolamine patch. I was not sick at all. My family climbed Dunn's River Falls in Jamaica, and I did the dry climb and took pictures. My vision was so blurry that you can't even tell who they were in any of the pictures. OOPS!! 2 days after I got home, I got severe vertigo which lasted about 2 weeks. I did lose 5 pounds though. Next cruise: Still going to do the patch, but not be the designated photographer.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:03 AM   #43
Maple17
Mouseketeer

Is Bonine available in Canada?
Maple17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #44
tzolkin
DIS Veteran

This is my biggest issue with deciding to do a cruise.

My two younger kids and I have severe motion sickness. Since they were each about 8 months old, they would vomit every time they got into a car- even just to run 5 minutes to the grocery store They are getting a little better (almost 9 and 7 now). They still feel miserable but they usually have control over the vomiting most of the time.

We have been mentioning a Disney cruise for years, but always really dismissing it as something we probably shouldn't even try.

Of course now we're really discussing it and it's one thing everyone has agreed that they would love to do. It sounds wonderful and the kids are excited about every aspect. But it would be such a waste of money and vacation time if half of us were completely miserable and sick the whole trip.
tzolkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #45
rubberbootbunny
Mouseketeer

I never get Seasick, or so I thought. But the EC7N of Sept 9 2012 did me in (Hurricane Leslie).
When asked the crew told me the seas were currently between 30-40 ft. and that the roll would improve when the Fantasy had finished the turn it was making and was no longer broadside to the trough. I saw several crewmembers a decided shade of green, and more than a few addmitted to needing to take something on that cruise.

I tried Seabands and the bands worked great for me and my daughter. During the storm I started going "green" but minutes after I put them on, I was fine and once the worst of the storm was passed we seemed fine with them off, they really worked for us. But then, This is the first time I have ever been seasick and I have been sailing and around boats/ferries ect, for most of my life

rubberbootbunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: