DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
jupers
DIS Veteran

When to go?

I am a teacher and I feel like I am always faced with this dilemma. I definitely don't want the summer again, with that said, would u do...
Thanksgiving?
Christmas?
February break?
April break?
Please consider crowds and airfare costs.

Please consider airfar
June '12-BCV and BLT; Jan '12-SSR; Oct 11-BWV; Jul '11-Offsite; '09-POR (family trip before Dad passed, best time ever); '07-POR & Wilderness Lodge; '03-Universal Hard Rock-(Wonderful, but not the same); '99-POFQ (Honeymoon-if I knew then...)'93-One Day from Tampa'84-CR'78-Poly
ME DH DD (11) DS (6)
jupers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Christmas!

Bill

disneynutz is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
mousefan1972
DIS Veteran

Since you mention February and April vacation I'm assuming you are from the Northeast. If so, April vacation is a great time to go, as long as Easter is not around that time. The weather is great and the crowds are low-moderate (again, only when Easter is earlier, like it will be in 2013). BUT, airfare is crazy high. You will likely have that issue for all of the times you listed, though.

We also enjoy going in mid-late August, before school starts. Yes, it's hot, but the crowds are low-moderate and airfare is cheaper.

Christmas/New Years is the most crowded week of the year! We go for Christmas and leave a day or 2 after, and we are happy to go home because the crowds are that bad.

I've never been around Thanksgiving, but from what I've read, you can expect heavy crowds and high airfare then, too. But not as bad as Christmastime.

Good luck deciding!
mousefan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

I travel with a school teacher, and we too have tried to find a way to get out travel in July or August. As hot and uncomfortable as it is, we seem to wind up doing exactly that, though. We've done Christmas and Spring Break and enjoy those trips, but the crowds are just too heavy for those to be our main trips every year.

Fortunately, he retires at the end of this school year so we can start visiting when the weather and point charts are a little easier to take.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

thankgiving - although the airfare would be the same as summer (if not a little higher) just depends upon when you buy the tickets

It is enough colder that you can actually do things during the daytime.

it is not as popular as Christmas to NY - so the crowds are less - but they are almost as much as Easter - of course it depends upon the park. the MK seems to be the most popular during that time.

does your friend get off the entire week of thanksgiving - or just the last part?

another thing about thanksgiving week it should save you some points.

sun, mon, tues are choice season (low points) -only wed, thur, fri are magic season (higher points) - sat goes back to choice season.

so you can do it on less points than summer.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #6
JasonDVC
DIS Veteran

My wife is school teacher so we are in the same predicament. I checked airfare for all of the same vacation weeks and it was all too high. I ended up checking July and found fares on southwest for $70 each way. We've been in July before so we are well aware of the temperatures but the airfare was too good to pass up. We are going and we'll see what happens.

I would prefer to go on April but I can't justify the airfare. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

JasonDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:02 PM   #7
drcoulsey
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupers View Post
I am a teacher and I feel like I am always faced with this dilemma. I definitely don't want the summer again
As a former teacher, my family always had to go during the hot, humid summer, so I feel your pain in this decision. Airfare from the NE is always bad during school vacations. If you can get the time off, Thanksgiving week is the best.
Ironically, now that I'm retired and could go anytime, my grandchildren don't want to miss school so I'm right back to summers again.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #8
disny_luvr
DIS Veteran

Can you tack a few personal days onto a holiday break? I'm a teacher also and I did that back in 2010 to go to Disney and will be doing it again next year to go on a Disney cruise. My district always has off the Monday after Thanksgiving. Our cruise next year is the week after Thanksgiving; I'll already have Monday off and will use four personal days for the rest of the week. Now, it takes some planning as this year I can only use one personal day and will have to carry over two. That way I still have one left for Mother's Tea in May of 2014. It's just a thought. I know some districts may not allow that and/or maybe you don't feel comfortable doing that.

Good luck with your decision.

Upcoming Trips:
Beach Club ~ June 27-June 30, 2015/Polynesian Village ~ June 30-July 6, 2015
Disney Fantasy: 7-night Western ~ November 28-December 5, 2015
Past Trips:
* Polynesian ~ August, 2014 *
* Disney Fantasy: 7-night Eastern ~ November/December, 2013 * Disney Magic: 2-night Cruise ~ August, 2012 * Beach Club Villas ~ June, 2012 * Wilderness Lodge ~ November/December, 2010 * POP/CBR ~ May, 2009 * Wilderness Lodge ~ November, 2004 * Dixie Landings ~ April, 1996 * CBR ~ June, 1991 * Fort Wilderness ~ June, 1984 *
disny_luvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #9
fmer55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupers View Post
I am a teacher and I feel like I am always faced with this dilemma. I definitely don't want the summer again, with that said, would u do...
Thanksgiving?
Christmas?
February break?
April break?
Please consider crowds and airfare costs.

Please consider airfar
April break airfare is a crusher. The absolute highest of them all. One thing we do every year is take a 4 day weekend, wife leaves wednesday after school, Thu and Fri personal days, that is what they are their for. and come home on last flight on unday night, makes for a nice long vacation. And we do it 10 days before Feb break. back to school for a week and then a week to relax.

One other thing to think about, not sure where you are from orr if you get them off, but, the Jewish holidays line up perfect this year. They are the thursday and friday after labor day. Cheap air and WDW is a ghost time that time of year

Wed-Sun withh no days taken off
Old 11-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #10
Boardwalk529
Mouseketeer

I am a school counselor and face the same dilemma! Summers are ok every now and then, but I prefer other times of the year. I looked into Thanksgiving break this year, but the flights were a little more pricey than I wanted to pay. However, I get Mondays after thanksgiving off, so I was thinking about trying for Friday-Tuesday some other time. I think the flights will be cheaper after Thanksgiving, and the crowds will start to thin out over the weekend. Since early December crowds are low and flights are pretty cheap, I plan to take a long weekend and go frequently for Christmas time. This year I'm going over MLK weekend...leaving Thursday night and returning Monday so that I'm there 4 nights and miss only one day of work. Flights are just a tad higher and crowds aren't that bad. I don't think I'll go very often for Presidents' Day weekend in February because it takes more points. Same with Easter break, plus the extra large crowds.
Boardwalk529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #11
disny_luvr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardwalk529 View Post
I am a school counselor and face the same dilemma! Summers are ok every now and then, but I prefer other times of the year. I looked into Thanksgiving break this year, but the flights were a little more pricey than I wanted to pay. However, I get Mondays after thanksgiving off, so I was thinking about trying for Friday-Tuesday some other time. I think the flights will be cheaper after Thanksgiving, and the crowds will start to thin out over the weekend. Since early December crowds are low and flights are pretty cheap, I plan to take a long weekend and go frequently for Christmas time. This year I'm going over MLK weekend...leaving Thursday night and returning Monday so that I'm there 4 nights and miss only one day of work. Flights are just a tad higher and crowds aren't that bad. I don't think I'll go very often for Presidents' Day weekend in February because it takes more points. Same with Easter break, plus the extra large crowds.
We went the week after Thanksgiving in 2010, flying down the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Surprisingly, the flight prices were very reasonable (I paid way more for our June, 2012 flights). When we arrived on Saturday, it was crowded, but we saw a big difference by later Sunday as most people left to go home.

Upcoming Trips:
Beach Club ~ June 27-June 30, 2015/Polynesian Village ~ June 30-July 6, 2015
Disney Fantasy: 7-night Western ~ November 28-December 5, 2015
Past Trips:
* Polynesian ~ August, 2014 *
* Disney Fantasy: 7-night Eastern ~ November/December, 2013 * Disney Magic: 2-night Cruise ~ August, 2012 * Beach Club Villas ~ June, 2012 * Wilderness Lodge ~ November/December, 2010 * POP/CBR ~ May, 2009 * Wilderness Lodge ~ November, 2004 * Dixie Landings ~ April, 1996 * CBR ~ June, 1991 * Fort Wilderness ~ June, 1984 *
disny_luvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:36 PM   #12
bnk1120
Forget filet and champagne. Give me chicken wings and beer!

I'm a teacher too, so I go to WDW at peak times. I have gone during presidents week in February at least 5 times. The crowds aren't too bad if you get to the parks early and hop around if it gets busy. The weather is iffy though. I prefer being able to swim...

This year we are going for Easter the airfare was ridiculous -the most I've ever paid. I'm hoping the weather is warmer than February. We will be there for 9 days and have AP's, so I'm not too concerned about crowds.

Counting down to February!

Aulani in August 2015
bnk1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:45 AM   #13
jupers
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the replies. Wish I could say we have a decision! lol...

I'm jealous of those of you who have personal days!
June '12-BCV and BLT; Jan '12-SSR; Oct 11-BWV; Jul '11-Offsite; '09-POR (family trip before Dad passed, best time ever); '07-POR & Wilderness Lodge; '03-Universal Hard Rock-(Wonderful, but not the same); '99-POFQ (Honeymoon-if I knew then...)'93-One Day from Tampa'84-CR'78-Poly
ME DH DD (11) DS (6)
jupers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #14
dianeschlicht
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
DIS Earth Angel :)
I promise not to plot against the showering
today I can only think of bubbles :o

I'm going to say Thanksgiving is your best bet UNLESS....Your area has a fall teacher's break. We have taken friends with school age children during the fall teacher's union break, and it gives you the better part of a week in October when crowds are a bit better, and weather is good.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #15
Rpsemont
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

As others have said - whenever easter is early (march or early april) then the Patriots day april week is the best time to go
Lower crowds
Usually off peak pricing at at WDW
The only thing that's expensive is the airfare if you're trying to book Sat-Sun

That being said, sometimes flying Mon - Mon can save substantial dollars or we have also found that flying out of ALB can sometimes be less - but if you're from Boston, that's a much longer drive, and the eastern part of state makes all the airports (BOS, MHT, PVD) busy

Good luck!
Feb 2003 - BWV and DOLPHIN;
Oct 2003 - Sher. Safari, Dolphin, BWV
Feb 2004 - BWV, Renaissance@Seaworld, OKW
Nov 2004 1st trip home! BWV,OKW;Feb 05 OKW,POFQ
Rpsemont is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: