Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-21-2012, 05:21 PM   #271
ronnmel
DIS Veteran
 
ronnmel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: QC, Canada
Posts: 3,721

Oh man, what a let down! I went back to read your previous Chef mickey experience and it could not have been more different! Usually characters are so good with babies/younger kids, it's so weird that this time they just kept ignoring him.
ronnmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #272
DVCWDWMEMBER
DIS Veteran
 
DVCWDWMEMBER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 515

So sorry to hear that your experience was so bad. I sure hope that it was the only one during this trip.
__________________
6/85 Offsite:12/86 DI: 8/88, 1/98, 5/00 DLR- Offsite:12/91 CR: 11/93 FWC: 1/99 POFQ: 9/99 CSR:01/02 CB/PR: 01/03 BCV: 12/03 DCL/BCV:10/04, 10/08 SSR: 05/05 PR: 01/06 WL: 05/06 GC-DLR: 11/06 POFQ: 02/07 DLH-DLR:11/07 BWV/POR: 05/08 OKW/VB: 05/09 AK/VB:10/09 GF:09/10 Disneyland Paris :11/10 POP: 07/11 BLT: 9/11 OKW: 6/12 Disneyland Paris : 7/13 WL,SSR-THV,AK :1/14 SSR:5/14 BC :11/14 WL:12/14 SSR: 2/15 AK: 8/15 DLH

DVCWDWMEMBER is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #273
katt789
DIS Veteran
 
katt789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Orlando, Fl
Posts: 5,590

Aw man, that's too bad that your meal at CM's was such a GONG SHOW! I seriously noticed this trip that more and more servers on buffet meals were just completely disappearing, like they'd come once at the beginning to "explain" and get you one drink, and then you'd have to HUNT them down for a bill at the end. Maybe it's because they don't get great tips because they don't do much, so they don't care anymore? Ugh.

Characters that do that drive me insane, and I nearly teared up at the pic of Sawyer looking back at Donald, that makes my heart hurt! I hope the rest of the night turned out a little better!
__________________
In Progress Trip Reports
May 2014 (24 hr day)//Villains Unleashed!

Instagram:Kattwyllie
Twitter: KattWy




katt789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:02 PM   #274
merbobear
DIS Veteran
 
merbobear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 946

I don't want to be mean, but I kind of secretly hate those perfect parents with the perfect kids! Where did they come from, anyway? And what drugs did they feed their kids to get them to sit so still?

I am sad that you got bad character interactions! We have had great characters and we have had ok characters..none that were really bad, but some just less interactive than others (for example, we had a Tigger that bounced up and down with dd, because that's what Tiggers do best- it was awesome and a moment to remember. And we have had other characters that kind of stand next to you for the obligatory photo and autograph before they rush to the next family). I can see why they have to rush sometimes, their handlers are probably being pressured by servers that are making sure their table sees each character, the lines of families waiting to get in is growing longer, it's loud and hot. I'm sure it's not an easy job..but at the same time, we do pay a lot and have come to expect MAGIC when we are in WDW so it really stinks when a character is mediocre.
__________________
| August 1997 - Offsite | May 9-17, 2011 - POP Century | May 7-15, 2012 - Old Key West | May 10-19, 2012 - POP Century | May 9-18, 2014 - POP Century |




merbobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:46 AM   #275
GrimGrinningStitch
A Swinging Wake
 
GrimGrinningStitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Kent, WA
Posts: 84

I love the Contemporary mural so much! It never gets old.

What a disappointing experience! I hate it when you go someplace, have an amazing experience the first time, then you go back and things are just horrible all around. BLEH. At least your first experience there was so positive!

Next stop, Magic Kingdom! I feel like if you're at any of the Monorail loop hotels, you're kind of obligated to stop in.

P.S. we're really trying to plan a September trip for next year. We should know a lot more after our trip in January, but if we're able to work it out, you'll be the first person to know!
GrimGrinningStitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:45 AM   #276
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran
 
Stringbean&Wingnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,989

I'm sorry to hear that your Chef Mickey's experience was such a disappointment!! It really does make it feel even worse when you had such a great experience the time before!!

That totally stinks that the characters were passing by Sawyer - especially in that picture with Donald you can tell he's like "I'M HERE TOO!!!!" .

Hopefully the rest of your meals weren't like that!
Stringbean&Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:11 AM   #277
merbobear
DIS Veteran
 
merbobear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 946

Oh, I wanted to also mention the waiting around for a table when you have an ADR...it's understandable to wait a few minutes for them to assign you a table, but a half hour is just way too long imo. I know I have seen people around the Dis saying "but it's not really a reservation,"...but it should be. It's called an ADR. R=Reservation. We waited about 45 mins past our ADR time at CRT for dinner and it really spoiled the entire experience, which is sad, because it should have been one of our best meals! We would have waited even longer, but I approached a CM about the situation. She was unsympathetic and I asked to speak to her supervisor, who found us a table right away.

We've also had adrs where we walk up and they seat us within seconds, I guess I just wish it were more consistent!

ETA: When I was looking at your pictures last night, dh noticed your kids on the benches under the mural and said "Hey, those are Adison's benches!" because she had performed the same little act on them earlier this year. I told him your kids were borrowing them for the night
__________________
| August 1997 - Offsite | May 9-17, 2011 - POP Century | May 7-15, 2012 - Old Key West | May 10-19, 2012 - POP Century | May 9-18, 2014 - POP Century |




merbobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #278
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran
 
Disney9.9.10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,624

I'm sorry that your experience at Chef Mickey's wasn't great. We've noticed a decline in that restaurant since the days when I was a kid. We used to make a point of going there almost every trip and now we rarely go. It is really unfortunate.
__________________

Dec 1988 - First Trip! * 1989 * 1990 * 1992 - Polynesian * 1996 - ASMu - Dance Trip for Disney's Magic Music Days * Dec 2002 - DCL Wonder & ASMo * March 2004 * March 2005 - Pop * August 2007 - ASMu * September 2010 - Grand Floridian - Wedding/Honeymoon Trip! * August 2011 - AKL Kidani Village * December 2012 - CSR*November 2014 - AKL Kidani Village for E's First Trip!

Krysten Michael Evelyn and Scarlett Mommy to an Angel

Disney9.9.10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #279
MagicShell
DIS Veteran
 
MagicShell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Posts: 1,505

I completely forgot that this was just your first day! But, yippee, that means there is a lot more left. Sorry you had a bad experience at Chef Mickey's. I can't believe the characters weren't giving attention to Sawyer. He is so cute, how could they resist?
__________________
1996 Dixie Landings, 2000 All-Star Movies, 2004 Off-Site
2006 Off-Site, Dec. 2008 Pop Century


Me DH DD DS
MagicShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #280
Fantasyland Mom
DIS Veteran
 
Fantasyland Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on til morning
Posts: 1,589

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnmel View Post
Oh man, what a let down! I went back to read your previous Chef mickey experience and it could not have been more different! Usually characters are so good with babies/younger kids, it's so weird that this time they just kept ignoring him.
I know! I was shocked, and I just couldn't get them to pay attention no matter what! Such a difference from last year when they paid much more attention to him than the girls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCWDWMEMBER View Post
So sorry to hear that your experience was so bad. I sure hope that it was the only one during this trip.
Don't worry--we had many WONDERFUL character interactions this trip. This was just a bad night for all involved, and we shook it off quickly...even before we got to our evening destination!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katt789 View Post
Aw man, that's too bad that your meal at CM's was such a GONG SHOW! I seriously noticed this trip that more and more servers on buffet meals were just completely disappearing, like they'd come once at the beginning to "explain" and get you one drink, and then you'd have to HUNT them down for a bill at the end. Maybe it's because they don't get great tips because they don't do much, so they don't care anymore? Ugh.

Characters that do that drive me insane, and I nearly teared up at the pic of Sawyer looking back at Donald, that makes my heart hurt! I hope the rest of the night turned out a little better!
I noticed that in some of ours, and some were still great. Actually, some of the wonderful ones were at shocking places! More on that later!
That picture makes me cry. I try not to look at it, but I included it in the TR for the sake of honesty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merbobear View Post
I don't want to be mean, but I kind of secretly hate those perfect parents with the perfect kids! Where did they come from, anyway? And what drugs did they feed their kids to get them to sit so still?

I am sad that you got bad character interactions! We have had great characters and we have had ok characters..none that were really bad, but some just less interactive than others (for example, we had a Tigger that bounced up and down with dd, because that's what Tiggers do best- it was awesome and a moment to remember. And we have had other characters that kind of stand next to you for the obligatory photo and autograph before they rush to the next family). I can see why they have to rush sometimes, their handlers are probably being pressured by servers that are making sure their table sees each character, the lines of families waiting to get in is growing longer, it's loud and hot. I'm sure it's not an easy job..but at the same time, we do pay a lot and have come to expect MAGIC when we are in WDW so it really stinks when a character is mediocre.
At first I was mad at the lady, and then I just felt sorry for all of them. THeir life must be so dull, and ours will never be!
I would have credited their quick trips with being rushed to turn over tables, but the restaurant was nowhere near full and had just opened. They really had no excuse. They weren't TERRIBLE, but they were just not really into it. Other characters made up for it this trip, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimGrinningStitch View Post
I love the Contemporary mural so much! It never gets old.

What a disappointing experience! I hate it when you go someplace, have an amazing experience the first time, then you go back and things are just horrible all around. BLEH. At least your first experience there was so positive!

Next stop, Magic Kingdom! I feel like if you're at any of the Monorail loop hotels, you're kind of obligated to stop in.

P.S. we're really trying to plan a September trip for next year. We should know a lot more after our trip in January, but if we're able to work it out, you'll be the first person to know!
I am anxiously waiting for confirmation!!
Because our first experience was so good and the food was still good this time, we will definitely be going back next trip. I know it CAN be a great place...it just wasn't this go-round.
We are totally headed to MK. Of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
I'm sorry to hear that your Chef Mickey's experience was such a disappointment!! It really does make it feel even worse when you had such a great experience the time before!!

That totally stinks that the characters were passing by Sawyer - especially in that picture with Donald you can tell he's like "I'M HERE TOO!!!!" .

Hopefully the rest of your meals weren't like that!
Don't worry, they really weren't! This was just a fluke, promise. We had wonderful character interactions this trip, just not at this restaurant for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merbobear View Post
Oh, I wanted to also mention the waiting around for a table when you have an ADR...it's understandable to wait a few minutes for them to assign you a table, but a half hour is just way too long imo. I know I have seen people around the Dis saying "but it's not really a reservation,"...but it should be. It's called an ADR. R=Reservation. We waited about 45 mins past our ADR time at CRT for dinner and it really spoiled the entire experience, which is sad, because it should have been one of our best meals! We would have waited even longer, but I approached a CM about the situation. She was unsympathetic and I asked to speak to her supervisor, who found us a table right away.

We've also had adrs where we walk up and they seat us within seconds, I guess I just wish it were more consistent!

ETA: When I was looking at your pictures last night, dh noticed your kids on the benches under the mural and said "Hey, those are Adison's benches!" because she had performed the same little act on them earlier this year. I told him your kids were borrowing them for the night
I know. And they had JUST opened and the tables were empty and waiting. They were just slow seating people in the empty tables. That was a little hard to swallow.
They really aren't consistent. We waited for almost an hour past our ADR at CRT once, but then ended up getting an awesome seat, so it was worth it I guess?? And sometimes we were led straight to our tables without even a pager!
Sorry we borrowed your benches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney9.9.10 View Post
I'm sorry that your experience at Chef Mickey's wasn't great. We've noticed a decline in that restaurant since the days when I was a kid. We used to make a point of going there almost every trip and now we rarely go. It is really unfortunate.
I never went when I was little, so this is all new. Last year was great. This year, not so much. I hope it doesn't continue to go down hill. Despite the lack of interactions, my kids are already talking about going back next year; hopefully our experience will be better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicShell View Post
I completely forgot that this was just your first day! But, yippee, that means there is a lot more left. Sorry you had a bad experience at Chef Mickey's. I can't believe the characters weren't giving attention to Sawyer. He is so cute, how could they resist?
I KNOW! That's what I'm saying!!
I told you guys this TR would last forever! We have so many photos and stories that one day lasts for months around here!!
__________________
Jennifer and Brandon, 2 Princesses and a PrinceSept. '09 (Pop), April/May '10 (Pop/CBR), Sept. '11 (Pop), Sept. '12 (CBR/Poly!), Sept. '13 (ASMo), Sept. '14 (POR/Beach Club)
TRIP VIDEO 2013! & TRIP VIDEO 2013-Mobile Friendly Version NEW VIDEOS!

***What Means "Ay, Caramba?"--Famous for Family of the Day, a Sept TR--IN PROGRESS!!

Disney World Family Vacation Video 2012-YouTube & Mobile Device-Friendly Disney World Family Vacation Video 2012-Vimeo Version
Instagram: disneyjenn1
Fantasyland Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #281
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran
 
marDgreen88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,819

Oof! Sorry it was an off night all around!
__________________
-Marissa
marDgreen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #282
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran
 
PracPerfPatricia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,467

Wow the flu... that's miserable... DH, DD and I had that all together one year before DS was born... and honestly I felt like I could barely lift my head off the pillow... I'm sorry you all had to go through that...

Brynn looks so happy in her school photo... sounds like she's going to have a good year... (BTW... and you probably know this but some kids with Asperger's will need PT or OT for a bit and as they get bigger not so much... My DS did have OT for several years (5-8) but then he just placed out... less things were difficult...)

Ahhhh... Chef Mickey's... I haven't been there in years... but it's pretty intense...first making you wait a half of an hour before you were even seated... that's like a half hour of kid calm meal time... if you can get a good half hour out of most kids... well that's pretty good... so you were already behind the 8 ball...

It's too bad about the character interaction... especially at Character Meals... the characters should really be on...

Hoping the rest of your meals are more relaxing for you...
PracPerfPatricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #283
hlrababy
Disney Princess ~Tinkerbell, sprinkle me with your pixie dust~ That castle is mine!!
 
hlrababy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 5,077

Aw, I hate the characters were not as great this time. I get bummed when that happens!

Now, for the lady eyeing ya'll?? Oh my word!! We have had that happen before and I have actually looked at them and said, "Can I help you??" ha ha Chad hates when I do that but I can't help it. That just literally makes me mad! I am sure she would have had her eyes full with my two girls. Hannah does not like to sit in her seat, she either stands or wants on the table and once Hollie is finished eating...she is ready to go! lol
hlrababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:36 AM   #284
shan23877
I make lists about my lists
 
shan23877's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,313

I'm so sorry that you had such a disappointing experience. Poor Sawyer is making my heart break. I sure hope that he got his Donald hugs later in the trip.
shan23877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:20 PM   #285
Cllong75
Fave Place on Earth
 
Cllong75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Iowa
Posts: 163

I somehow stumbled upon your last trip report and moved right along to this one and am loving it so far. I love your trip reports for 3 reasons.
1. Your witty bantor reminds me of someone awesome I really know (oh yeah me)
2. You sweet adorable babies
3. Your husbands amazing photography.
Can't wait to read more.
__________________




Nov '11 ~ Disneyland *Sept '10 ~ Pop Century * Jan '09 ~ All Star Movies * Sept '05 ~ All Star Sports * May '04 ~ All Star Sports * Sept '00 ~ All Star Movies * '85 ~ Off-site
Cllong75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: