Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 10:43 AM   #31
hallie
DIS Veteran

Nope! I have them make lists for ideas, but they don't know what they'll get or expect everything on the list.

hallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:10 AM   #32
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyinPA View Post
DS17 also asked me to get him gift cards to Dunkin Donuts, Subway, and the movies. He doesn't have a job yet, and he needs a way to finance his social life- so these are good ones for him. He will be very happy with all three!!

I am doing something like that this year for my daughter- one of her gifts is a wallet stuffed with gift cards from aeropostal, american eagle, and a bunch of other stores and a few for restaurants and the movies so she can go out shopping and to eat with friends.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2012, 11:36 AM   #33
ebtbmom
DIS Veteran

DS gives me a list and I pick from that, though I throw in a few surprises too.

As he's gotten older and his gifts have gotten fewer in number due to higher cost I've started hiding them around the house to drag out present time a bit. I'll write clues, brain teasers, puzzles, to lead him to where his gifts are hidden. He enjoys It a lot, this year I'm toying with the idea of extending it to relatives houses too, I have a cousin that likes the idea!
11/2004 1st trip, ASM,11/2006 2nd trip, POP,6/2008 day trip DLR,11/2008 3rd trip, POP,1/2010 DLR at DLH!,1/2011 1st solo POFQ, 11/2011 POR, 3/2012 B-day trip! 10/2012 POP, 6/2013 day trip DLP 11/2013 POP 2/2014 CSR 2nd solo!
ebtbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #34
ilovejack02
what do you all think?

My oldest is 24 , he never knows what he is getting, gives me some ideas I pick from there. I say never , but he should know by now that he will always get a new pair of tennis shoes and a two pairs of jeans lol. This year Im switching it up though, he getting two pair of shoes ; ) ... found a great sale. He isn't picky , I just know what brand to stick with . I am not sure what the big gift will be, I was thinking a mattress , as he lives on his own and he mentioned his is in bad shape .. ( hand me down from his bio mom )

My younger child is still a Santa fan so he is always surprised .
ilovejack02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #35
MamaLema
Mouseketeer
I must eat at least one avocado a day!
Tying up Sayid and leaving Sawyer to die doesn't score brownie points with me

DS 16 and DS 14 know exactly what they are getting. DS 9 is getting surprised.

Last year, DS 16 got a guitar. He wanted a specific brand and model and there is no way I could of gone to pick out a guitar for him.

It gets harder as they get older. For those whose kids don't know, I don't know how you do it.
MamaLema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #36
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

My sister wanders through the store with the cart & her boys toss stuff in until they reach their budget. Seems weird to me. They're young enough to still "want" way more than they're getting, so it would seem my sister could at least get a list from each and then pick & choose from the list so it's still a LITTLE bit of a surprise. I know my parents still surprised me when I was 15 (shotgun, still have it ).
Old 11-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #37
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

My 2 older kids know what their big gift is going to be. My dd wanted a specific ski jacket and pants and needed to try them on. I did get her some other ski gear but since the coat and pants took up over half of her Christmas budget there won't be alot under the tree for her. I do like to get some surprises too, so at least she'll have things to open that she doesn't know about.

My ds wanted an Ipod touch and was going to buy it himself but he asked me if I could just get it for him for Christmas and I told him yes. He also asked for a specific Lego set so I'll get him that too. Just like my dd, he'll have some things to open that he doesn't know about.

My youngest is in the still might believe stage. I'm pretty sure he knows the truth but hasn't said anything so this year I'll still be doing Santa for him so he won't know what he's getting.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:38 PM   #38
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

My kid's big gift for the past few years has been the same: snowboard rental, snowboard pass, snowboard club from his school (they run a bus up to the hill once a week). He's known since the end of last year that this is what he's getting.

I consider this a "quasi" Christmas present. I tell him it's a gift, in part because I want him to realize how lucky he is, and in part because his sports and extracurriculars are part of the reason the Christmas budget is smaller than some of his friends (sort, of, depends if you include the snowboarding in the budget"). But to be honest, if we lived in New Zealand or somewhere else where Christmas comes in the summer, he'd still get to snowboard and I'd tell him his "big" gift was summer camp.

On Christmas morning he'll still get a nice stocking and some gifts under the tree. I've tried my best to spoil him, but so far I've failed.
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:04 PM   #39
Fire14
Spartan Living in land of Buckeyes.

I email my dad, dh my xmas idea list they can pick off list or go out and find me something.
My dad usually tries to get me something small he found while out shopping.
My mother always used to gripe that all I wanted was gift cards. One year I got a gift box of underwear including a black pr, I never wear black underwear.

My Dh has come up with some crazy stuff over the years. I wish he'd learn to bring our wrapping paper to neighbor whom he buys my scrapbook stuff from, I've busted him 4 times on wrapping paper alone. Not hard when you recognize paper as same stuff under neighbor's tree, or a print that would never make it into your home.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:41 PM   #40
mommasita
I am like HELLO IT IS TEN OCLOCK...Anderson is on

Has a sweetie who is Furbilicious

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgail2 View Post
I am doing something like that this year for my daughter- one of her gifts is a wallet stuffed with gift cards from aeropostal, american eagle, and a bunch of other stores and a few for restaurants and the movies so she can go out shopping and to eat with friends.
I do this for my daughter also. LOVE IT. Keeps them entertained with their friends.

For my son it is mainly restaurants, as he loves to do this at lunch time. And I don't fork it out daily.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #41
funkychunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

My aunts girls (11/13) know what there getting. the youngest ONLY wanted a e reader, harped about it for months and convinced her sister she wanted one too. So they know there both gettin ereaders from mom, cases from me, assessories from there aunt, and 10 bucks from grandma. i know (28 here) that my mom bought me a tablet, and my aunt a case with asscessories. Grandma already gave me a gift (loaned me money). The girls also know tere getting clothes, there only suprize is dvds we picked up at black friday
RIP:
guiedo (guiena pig) bluebeard
funkychunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:14 AM   #42
mamamary
DIS Veteran

I have a feeling that it will be like that this year for my kids (15 and 13). The only thing my son is asking for is a new tv and my daughter wants Ugg boots and a North Face jacket (so I think she'll need to be there with me when i get them. Then I will pick up some smaller stuff so they have some presents to open.

me dh ds (16) dd (15) and Baxter (my 7 year old lab - rescued from a shelter)

mamamary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #43
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

I'm in my 20s. I typically know what I'm getting just because my mom asks or tells me. Sometimes I even get my gift early, depending on what it is.

She likes to surprise me so I will get a little something that I didn't know about most years.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:08 AM   #44
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

My 2 know their major gift this year (but I'm surprising both of them with one more ) and that part of it makes me sad. I loved the whole "surprise!" of Christmas.

They always get pajamas and this year they both picked them out, so they got exactly what they wanted. I guess they don't trust my judgement when it comes to jammies.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #45
Mickeyrella
Mouseketeer

I am 21 and I never know what my parents are getting me lol I think it's more fun that way
Mickeyrella is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: