Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
gate_pourri
I am Crusty Gizzardsprinkles, pleased to meet you
I admit, I am a pickle cutter. If I have the ability to cut my pickle, I will cut my pickle

Tipping at All-Inclusive in Mexico

I leave next week for 6 nights in Mexico for a friends wedding. I lived in Europe for 4 years and travel to Europe/Asia multiple times a year, but haven't been to Mexico since I was a young teen and don't know the tipping etiquette. If it helps, I tend to over-tip while traveling, especially in "under-developed" areas.

So... for those who have been to Mexico recently... I assume I can tip in USD, right? If I go to the pool bar, is it OK to tip 1USD for every drink? What about at restaurants? In the room? Etc.? Besides 2 day excursions, the rest of the days will be at the hotel.

Right now, for the 6 nights, I'm planning on bringing 60USD in 1s and 40USD in 5s for tipping. Does that sound about right?

Thanks!
gate_pourri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
wdwmom2
It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow
Hopefully the Disney magic will kick in
my co-workers made me bath in Scope mouth wash
Fractured Prune is like donut Heaven

Typically, all-inclusives are a no tipping establishment.

Now, for excursions, I would probably tip. At least that is what I have done in the past. For me, the amount would depend on the excursion. Our last excursion was in St Martin. It was outstanding!!! I think DH tipped our operator $20 total. More than we would normally tip. But he was worth every penny

ETA: USD are prefectly fine!!!

wdwmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
jiminyC_fan
Missing Captain Mickey!
always let your conscience be your guide
Gotta love popcorn!

We go to MX every year. Yes, they say that tipping is included but we ALWAYS, always tip the staff. They work hard for their money and make approx four dollars a day. A tip goes a L O N G way. We tip the bar staff, the wait staff, bellman and maids. We tip USD. Some say only tip pesos. We have made a very good friend in MX and he states that USD is just fine. Just make sure the bills are not torn and also not written on.

Last edited by jiminyC_fan; 11-25-2012 at 03:51 PM.
jiminyC_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
Wall-E1
Dis DAD
Beware the mac & cheeseHas YAGEing down to a fine art

Yes, tipping is appropriate, and American money is okay. I also tend to over tip in under developed areas. When we were in Mexico at an all inclusive, we tipped everybody - front desk, cleaning staff, restaurant staff; etc.
1979 Polynesian - 1984 Polynesian - 1998 Dixie Landings - Dec 2003 Coronado Springs - Apr 2004 Animal Kingdom Lodge - June 2004 All Star Sports - Oct 2004 Carribean Beach - Dec 2004 Port Orleans French Quarter - Jan 2005 Wilderness Lodge - May 2005 Pop Century - Oct 2005 Pop Century - Dec 2005 Dolphin Resort - Jan 2006 Disneyland Resort California - August 2006 Yacht Club - Sep 2006 Coronado Springs - Dec 2006 Dolphin Resort - Sep 2007 All Star Movies - Nov 2007 ABD Costa Rica - Feb 2008 Pop Century - August 2008 All Star Music - Sep 2008 All Star Movies - Nov 2008 Pop Century - Dec 2008 Boardwalk Villas - May 2009 Beach Club Villas - September 2009 All Star Movies (my son's 20th trip to WDW!) - Nov 2009 All Star Movies - and for 2010!!! - Jan 2010 Animal Kingdom Lodge - May 2010 Port Orleans Riverside - September 2010 Pop Century - December 2010 Contemporary - November 2011 Beach Club Villas - March 2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge - October 2012 Contemporary - December 2014 Pop Century

Wall-E1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
shoney
DIS Veteran

We've been to Mexican AI's quite a bit...

$2 per bag to the bell hop at checkin

$4 to $5 to housekeeping in the morning
$2 housekeeping in the evening for turn-down

$2 for breakfast buffet
$4 - $5 for lunch
$5 to $10 for dinner

$1 per round of drinks

$2 for room service

$1 in the mini fridge

We have also encountered others who were deserving of a tip. We have never had anything but excellent service from wonderful people.

Give whatever you are comfortable with and have a great time!
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
jiminyC_fan
Missing Captain Mickey!
always let your conscience be your guide
Gotta love popcorn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoney View Post
We've been to Mexican AI's quite a bit...

$2 per bag to the bell hop at checkin

$4 to $5 to housekeeping in the morning
$2 housekeeping in the evening for turn-down

$2 for breakfast buffet
$4 - $5 for lunch
$5 to $10 for dinner

$1 per round of drinks

$2 for room service

$1 in the mini fridge

We have also encountered others who were deserving of a tip. We have never had anything but excellent service from wonderful people.

Give whatever you are comfortable with and have a great time!
That's pretty much the amounts we tip as well. Shhhh, we tip our favorite waiter at our favorite resort $40 and make him keep it himself. They are suppose to pool their tips. He takes such good care of us that he deserves it. We are now personal friends that stay in contact weekly. We've even had dinner at his house a couple of times with his family. What a grand experience.
jiminyC_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #7
wdwmom2
It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow
Hopefully the Disney magic will kick in
my co-workers made me bath in Scope mouth wash
Fractured Prune is like donut Heaven

Wow, these answers have taken my off guard!!! I guess it has been a while since I have been at an all-inclusive. Back then, everything I read or was told was that there was no tipping!!

But, this is good to know. Just in case we do another all-inclusive. Right now we love to cruise. And yes, we do tip there!!!

wdwmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:03 PM   #8
Minerva Mouse
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
I no longer have eyebrows. I have bushes!

I went to an all inclusive once in Jamaica. Tipping was absolutely forbidden. Staff had even told me, that if there were caught accepting tips that they would be FIRED. I guess it doesn't hurt to take some tip money, but if the establishment doesn't allow it, you will have to find a way to be sneaky about it!
Minerva Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #9
shoney
DIS Veteran

Some resort chains, such as Sandals, forbid tipping.

I don't think there are any in Mexico that do.

All of the literature will state "tips included". In reality they might be, but they are certainly accepted and deserved. There will be people that won't tip and others that do. For us, the service is so wonderful that we want to tip.
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: