Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #16
Robbi
DIS Veteran

OP, I don't blame you for being angry. You and your son should either go to your parents or to a really nice hotel. Your husband can go to his mommy and daddy's house. Then tomorrow, call a plumber.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #17
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
OP, I don't lame you for being angry. You and your son should eiher go to your parents or to a really nice hotel. Your husband can go to his mommy and daddy's house. Then tomorrow, call a plumber.
Amen.....

If he has not returned home, and is not, at this moment, taking care of the situation... I would not be sitting there waiting for him.
Wishing on a star is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2012, 06:24 PM   #18
BeachGirlFLA
DIS Veteran

I'd be calling a plumber immediately.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:25 PM   #19
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

The last thing I want to do tonight is drive back over to my parent's house. It's 25 minutes one way. DS is trying to get his homework done right now. But it's driving me crazy wondering if the water is going to get fixed tonight.

Please tell me where this valve would be, just in case we missed it somehow.

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic Eastern 2004 DCL Magic Western 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014
Zandy595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:29 PM   #20
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandy595 View Post
The last thing I want to do tonight is drive back over to my parent's house. It's 25 minutes one way. DS is trying to get his homework done right now. But it's driving me crazy wondering if the water is going to get fixed tonight.

Please tell me where this valve would be, just in case we missed it somehow.
Where is your main water shutoff? Find that and then follow the pipes that would go to the bathroom. There should be a valve somewhere along that line. If you can shut that flow off, then you would be able to turn the water back on to the rest of the house.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:30 PM   #21
hereyago
DIS Veteran

Oh heck no! I would be calling for an emergency plumber or stay in a real nice hotel if he did that and KNEW that no water could be used. Sorry my kid and myself don't wait on anyone for hours while they go to a movie etc. Id let him know. Since you aren't taking care of it, I will, or I will gtake care of myself.
hereyago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #22
Zandy595
DIS Veteran

We had a plumber come out on Friday. He didn't have the part, so he had to come back yesterday. He worked on it for about 2 hours and couldn't get the cartridge out. He gave up and said he'd have to come back Monday and it would cost us $648, instead of the $185 he estimated in the beginning. We can't afford that right now and DH for some reason thought he could fix something a trained plumber couldn't do.

OK, we have 2 sinks in the bathroom, seperated by a tub. Under the sink closest to the shower there are 2 valves with pipes that go down through the bottom of the cabinet. Could these pipes go to the shower?! The pipes don't do that under the other sink. If so, why did the plumber shut off the main water valve instead of just the ones in the bathroom?

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic Eastern 2004 DCL Magic Western 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014
Old 11-25-2012, 06:38 PM   #23
Zandy595
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf View Post
Where is your main water shutoff? Find that and then follow the pipes that would go to the bathroom. There should be a valve somewhere along that line. If you can shut that flow off, then you would be able to turn the water back on to the rest of the house.
The main water shutoff is on a wall on the outside of the house, near a hose bib. I can't follow the pipes, they go into the wall.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:38 PM   #24
mikehn
DIS Veteran

Hmmm, interesting. The shower in our master bath is leaky and its driving me nuts. I spent most of the day today trying to fix it on my own to no avail. I'll have to call a plumber over tomorrrow, but luckily we have a separate shutoff valve to our master bathroom, so the rest of the house has water and we have three other bathrooms in the house. My wife would have a complete meltdown if i ran off to the movies and my cell phone would be buzzing nonstop.
mikehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #25
Disney Ella
DIS Veteran

If you live in an old house, you might not have a shutoff valve for the shower. We don't have one and have to shut off water to the whole house if we ever need to work on the bathtub faucet or shower. I don't know who ever thought that was a good idea.
Disney Ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #26
phorsenuf
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
We had a plumber come out on Friday. He didn't have the part, so he had to come back yesterday. He worked on it for about 2 hours and couldn't get the cartridge out. He gave up and said he'd have to come back Monday and it would cost us $648, instead of the $185 he estimated in the beginning. We can't afford that right now and DH for some reason thought he could fix something a trained plumber couldn't do.

OK, we have 2 sinks in the bathroom, seperated by a tub. Under the sink closest to the shower there are 2 valves with pipes that go down through the bottom of the cabinet. Could these pipes go to the shower?! The pipes don't do that under the other sink. If so, why did the plumber shut off the main water valve instead of just the ones in the bathroom?
More then likely those are the hot and cold water pipes for the sink, but maybe not. If you went and turned on the main water valve, will the water from the shower be contained or will it go all over your bathroom? If it's contained within the shower then you could turn on the main valve and test the two valves. I'd have you feel the pipes to test for temp but if the water has been off for a couple days it wouldn't help.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #27
Ennazus8810
Mouseketeer

One of two things would have happened. I would have either called a DIFFERENT plumber, or I would not be there when he returned from the movies. My son and I would either be at my parents for the night or checked in to a hotel. If he is not concerned about the well being of his family (and water is HUGE) then I would not be concerned enough about him to be there when he returns.

Last Trip-August 2012
Next trip-Oct 2014

Me DH DD(5) DD (4)
Ennazus8810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:52 PM   #28
Zandy595
DIS Veteran

DH just called. He said his day was a nightmare because he got to the movie and it was sold out so they had to go somewhere else. ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME!!! Oh, and he hasn't had dinner. Well, neither have we. Anyway, he says he'll be home in 15 minutes and will have it fixed in no time. OMG, my blood pressure is so high right now.... I may murder him, but I'll wait until after he fixes the water.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:56 PM   #29
phorsenuf
Grandma Oboe

Quote:
DH just called. He said his day was a nightmare because he got to the movie and it was sold out so they had to go somewhere else. ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME!!! Oh, and he hasn't had dinner. Well, neither have we. Anyway, he says he'll be home in 15 minutes and will have it fixed in no time. OMG, my blood pressure is so high right now.... I may murder him, but I'll wait until after he fixes the water.
Hope he's bringing dinner home with him.

As for the valves, I'd double check on that because it sounds like you have some shutoff valves under the sink. Probably have one behind the toilet too. Hopefully it's something he can fix quickly for you. Being without water for 3 days has got to stink! (No pun intended)

Last edited by phorsenuf; 11-25-2012 at 07:09 PM.
phorsenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #30
Zandy595
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Ella View Post
If you live in an old house, you might not have a shutoff valve for the shower. We don't have one and have to shut off water to the whole house if we ever need to work on the bathtub faucet or shower. I don't know who ever thought that was a good idea.
The house is only 10 years old. DH says the only shutoff valve is the main one to the whole house.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: