Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 05:42 PM   #46
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Our city school district discovered that half the kids eligible for free breakfast and lunch weren't signed up for it. They pushed them to sign up,(since the district actually makes money on the free lunches) but the kids wanted no part of them because it wasn't food they would eat. They wanted pop tarts and soda pop for breakfst, and all the banned foods like Doritos and soda pop for lunch. Given how many kids I see walking to school with a Coke or Pepsi in their hand, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #47
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Our city school district discovered that half the kids eligible for free breakfast and lunch weren't signed up for it. They pushed them to sign up,(since the district actually makes money on the free lunches) but the kids wanted no part of them because it wasn't food they would eat. They wanted pop tarts and soda pop for breakfst, and all the banned foods like Doritos and soda pop for lunch. Given how many kids I see walking to school with a Coke or Pepsi in their hand, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Would you rather them have a monster in there hand that killed a middle school kid.
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #48
Poohforyou
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
When referring to New York City, I capitalize City, as it's a proper noun (name of a person, place, etc.).
That's true if you're using the entire name but if you're just using the word city it shouldn't be capitalized.
Poohforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #49
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohforyou View Post
That's true if you're using the entire name but if you're just using the word city it shouldn't be capitalized.
It is clearly the most important city in the entire world, so it should be *obvious* that "City" is a noun meaning NYC.
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:03 PM   #50
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
Why can't they just not put it on the tray in the first place and just ask the kids if they want the fruit/veggie?
FWIW, I think the law about not being able to recycle foods that have been on other's tray has been around for awhile. My kid's schools was never allowed to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacaju View Post
Because it is now the law that we, as lunch ladies are required to put the serving of fruits or veggies on their tray....we are not allowed to ask them if they want it.
Former lunch lady here and what Kacaju said is correct. There are government guidelines that have to be followed. Whether the kids eat it or not there are specific components that must be on a school lunch or they can risk losing their funding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellandeeyor View Post
Would you rather them have a monster in there hand that killed a middle school kid.
That was an isolated incident and it was determined after she had a pre-existing medical condition that could have attributed to it.

Last edited by phorsenuf; 11-25-2012 at 06:10 PM.
phorsenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:21 PM   #51
Poohforyou
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbb View Post
It is clearly the most important city in the entire world, so it should be *obvious* that "City" is a noun meaning NYC.
Meh, I worked in Manhattan for about 6 years. It isn't all that.

One other thing, when speaking of NYC you're referring to all 5 boros - Manhattan, Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens and Staten Island. Typically people use the actual name of the individual boro when speaking of it.

Last edited by Poohforyou; 11-25-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Poohforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:25 PM   #52
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
How? Not doubting you, just not sure how that works (programs here seem quite a bit different than yours).
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:38 PM   #53
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf View Post
Former lunch lady here and what Kacaju said is correct. There are government guidelines that have to be followed. Whether the kids eat it or not there are specific components that must be on a school lunch or they can risk losing their funding.

That was an isolated incident and it was determined after she had a pre-existing medical condition that could have attributed to it.
Thank you for information I did not have I have been holding back on the cherry amp because I did not want to die that way so sincere thanks
Old 11-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #54
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
Thank you for information I did not have I have been holding back on the cherry amp because I did not want to die that way so sincere thanks
All the same it should be something you drink in moderation.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:47 PM   #55
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf View Post
All the same it should be something you drink in moderation.
I will
Old 11-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #56
torinsmom
I have someone coming to scoop
I don't know how a man could wear them

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbb View Post
How? Not doubting you, just not sure how that works (programs here seem quite a bit different than yours).
She may be referring to Title I funds. I know if a certain percentage of students in a school are eligible for free lunch, our school can get Title I funds. Students have to be signed up in order for the school to get the funds.

We have several kids who were getting free lunch who are now bringing home lunches. I let the parents know their child was eating very little. They aren't bringing in junk. It's usually a sandwich, yogurt, fruit and a juice.

The junk they sell at our school for breakfast is ridiculous--breakfast pizza, pancakes with syrup, donuts, etc. Maybe they need to stick to cereal and milk or oatmeal and fruit.
August 3-11, 2008--Pop Century Grand Gathering
July 6-13, 2009--Universal Studios
June 16-25 2010--Universal AND Disney for 10 days (Emerald Island)
August 10-20 2011--Universal and Disney(Indian Creek)
July 6-14 2012--Universal and Disney--doing YES again!
July 14-21 2013--Universal and Disney with family
torinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #57
JoiseyMom
Have you had your SPANX today???
I mean, peep poop should be shiny and colored!!

Quote:

One monster did not kill that kid. That child had an underlying heart condition, and a hot chocolate could have done the same thing.

My DD16 has a monster most mornings as her morning drink, and I have no issues with it.
2005 August - Surprise Trip for kids!! CSR; 2006 August - Surprise Trip for kids at CSR again!! 2007 August - 3 nite Wonder & AKL FD 3peat!!
2007 December 8 - 7nite Eastern on the Magic! 2008 August 17 DCL Magic EB Panama Canal; March 2011 WDW trip with friends. 2012 Aug 25 DCL Bahamas Magic from NYC;2012 Sept 12 DCL Canadian Magic;2013 Aug AKL Kidani;2013 Aug DCL Fantasy

I am Poohtiful and Poohlicious!!!! Have you had your Spanx today???
JoiseyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #58
JoiseyMom
Have you had your SPANX today???
I mean, peep poop should be shiny and colored!!

My DS11 is always hungry when he comes home from school. He usually has 2 scrambled eggs for breakfast at 8 am. He eats lunch before 11, and gets home at 3:30 and is starving.

He loves fruits and veggies and always grabs an apple or banana, and a bag of carrots, but if he doesn't get a chance to finish it at lunch, they make him throw it out before he leaves the cafeteria . THe carrots he usually shoves in his pocket, he really cant do that with the fruit. He wants to eat them later.
2005 August - Surprise Trip for kids!! CSR; 2006 August - Surprise Trip for kids at CSR again!! 2007 August - 3 nite Wonder & AKL FD 3peat!!
2007 December 8 - 7nite Eastern on the Magic! 2008 August 17 DCL Magic EB Panama Canal; March 2011 WDW trip with friends. 2012 Aug 25 DCL Bahamas Magic from NYC;2012 Sept 12 DCL Canadian Magic;2013 Aug AKL Kidani;2013 Aug DCL Fantasy

I am Poohtiful and Poohlicious!!!! Have you had your Spanx today???
JoiseyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:13 PM   #59
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
This is the article I was particularly referring to: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/03/...-the-homeless/

It did seem a bit slanted and from what you're saying now inaccurate too. That's a relief.

As for school lunches, how does making them more healthy help anyone if the kids won't eat them?
I saw that one and a couple others using basically the same wording when I saw your post. I went looking for who was reporting that, then backtracked. I can find the thing if you'd like but it was from March and referred to the rule the Dept. of Homeless Services has had about not accepting unpackaged, unlabelled food and why and that they do accept packaged. Does only apply to City shelters.

As to the making the stuff more healthy helping if it's being binned - hopefully kids will be hungry and eat and learn that the things they're not so familiar with are actually good. The alternative - keep giving them terrible stuff because they theoretically like it - isn't any better, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohforyou View Post
Yeah, it should if it's used the way I used it. Same as 'The President boarded the plane,' takes the capital P even though it's not in the 'title name' format.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #60
mjantz
DIS Veteran

I think we probably have more than a few kids who are obese & malnourished. I could go on a long rant but I'll just say that we as a society have stopped valuing food for what it does for our bodies & now we just see it as a fuel source to be acquired as cheaply & quickly as possible.
mjantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: