Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 08:41 PM   #841
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland

I hope GMR doesn't change (after working there for 2.5 years, I like it just the way it is).

Have you ever seen the Hidden R2-D2/C3P0? It's pretty cute
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Old 11-22-2012, 03:40 AM   #842
__disneygirl
well, all that's left now is the happy ending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna71985 View Post
I hope GMR doesn't change (after working there for 2.5 years, I like it just the way it is).

Have you ever seen the Hidden R2-D2/C3P0? It's pretty cute
That's SO awesome that you worked there. If I worked in Attractions it would definitely be at the top of my wish list! I met someone who worked at American Idol Experience and he loved it, but he said that he and all his friends would always look longingly at GMR, wishing they could work there. haha.

I don't think I have! I will check that out though, thanks!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #843
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by __disneygirl View Post
That's SO awesome that you worked there. If I worked in Attractions it would definitely be at the top of my wish list! I met someone who worked at American Idol Experience and he loved it, but he said that he and all his friends would always look longingly at GMR, wishing they could work there. haha.

I don't think I have! I will check that out though, thanks!
Yeah, I feel lucky to have gotten to work there. It's an awesome place to work

And it's in the same area as the Hidden Mickey/Donald, in the Raiders of the Lost Ark scene
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Old 11-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #844
__disneygirl

DECEMBER 13, 2012
Day 9, Part 3 In Which No One Says A Word About My Poor Etiquette

It was time for our 50's Prime Time Cafe ADR, which I hadn't told my mom about yet.

When I finally filled her in, she was thrilled. "OH MY GOD, that is PERFECT. That is exactly what I feel like today!"

Yep, great minds who love to Live It Up think alike, and so we made our way over to the Echo Lake area.

I wonder what it would take for Disney to actually let me live here. Like actually build a little apartment right up those steps. If I was a billionaire, would they take a certain amount of money? I guess in that case it would be publicized and weird... but I just wonder if someone was willing to pay tons of cash to live in a park, would they ever do it? Hmmm.... I'll call them when I make my first billion, you know, just to feel them out.

Oh, so guess what I, the supposed Disney expert, either completely forgot about or didn't know? That the Tune In Lounge exists. I think that's awesome that you can just go in there to chill and get a drink. Apparently you can order food at the bar too. That's great for solo travelers, or people who want to experience the ambiance without making an ADR!

We checked in and had to wait about 10 minutes to be seated. I didn't mind at all since I love it in here so much. It really feels like going home to a 50's household!

I love that brass...thing... on the wall. Definitely hits home. My great aunt Juney (who just turned NINETY) collects that stuff and has had them all over her kitchen for decades. Any time my mom sees something like that in an antique store or wherever, she always gets one for Juney!

We were seated and I began to peruse the menu, even though I already knew what I was ordering. I feel like very few Dissers actually look at the menus once we sit down at a Disney restaurant. It's just not necessary, being that we've practically memorized them all.

I thought it was cute that the alcohol was labeled "From Dad's Liquor Cabinet"

This is the TV that was at our table!

Walt's speech at the opening of Disneyland kept coming on. This is my favorite speech ever, next to Bobby Kennedy's famous "The Mindless Menace of Violence" speech. THAT'S how much I love it, that it compares to such a deeply meaningful and historic speech like Kennedy's! It's just so straight to the point and perfectly describes Disneyland.

This is the speech, literally written in stone. I've known it by heart for years, since I used to listen to it over and over because I am just that much of a Disney freak. I still can't believe I haven't been to Disneyland yet! When I go, I think I will just drop to my knees and bow while crying as soon as I enter Main Street.

When it was time to order, I told my mom I wanted the fried chicken, and she said that sounded good to her too. But knowing how huge the portions are here, we decided to order one to share and then get something else later if we were still hungry.

Wow, my stomach just literally let out a yearning growl as soon as I viewed this photo. LOL. It was truly delicious, of course, and we were relieved that we only ordered one because as I said, the portions are huge. It was the perfect amount of food for us to share. Also, as you can see, we substituted corn for green beans, as I am NOT a green bean type of girl and I knew I would get yelled at for not eating them.

I became more aware of myself in here - I realized that I usually DO put my elbows on the table! Oops. None of the staff seemed to notice, so I didn't get reprimanded.

For anyone who may not know, going along with the theme that you're eating in "Mom's Kitchen," you are expected to adhere to traditional values and manners. This includes but is not limited to: elbows off the table, eat all your vegetables, no talking on the phone/texting at the table, etc. The staff will yell at you (not in a mean way - it's all in good fun! Don't be scared to make an ADR here, it's so great) if you don't follow the rules, the same way your Mom would. They may even put you in the corner for a time out!

Surprisingly, we didn't experience much of the usual 50's Prime Time antics. Our waitress did call us family and all that, but not much more. Probably cause we totally cleaned our plate and are also very polite and lovely people, but still, I expected more of a show. I wasn't disappointed though, honestly it was kind of a relief. LOL.

Look what my mom found in the sugar dish!

Umm... I totally love whoever did that. How cute. Of course, we then continued the tradition and wrote "Hey from New Jersey!!!" on a sugar packet. I also drew a Mickey head. I wonder who found it, and if they did the same thing. Maybe this is an endless chain of drawing on sugar packets that started years ago! Hey, you never know.

I hate to disappoint you guys... but we did not order dessert!!! I know, I know, it's an outrage! It's a scandal!

I really wanted to get the S'mores, but want I wanted even MORE was dessert from Starring Rolls. I had been dreaming about eating another Red Velvet Cheesecake Cupcake and I knew I had to get one before we left and I would be cruelly ripped away from my beloved cupcake until the next trip.

Before we headed out, I asked the waitress if she could give me a to go cup, since I still had like half a cup of cherry soda left and did NOT want to leave that deliciousness behind. She said she would not just bring me an empty cup, she would fill it up! You know what's even better than the best soda ever? When it's free! I love Cast Members so much.

Off to Starring Rolls we went. I was just in the best mood. My almost having to leave Disney gloom was completely gone and I was just happy to be there in the moment. I often obsess over the future and past and have a lot of trouble appreciating the moment, so this was a big deal for me.

I ordered, of course, the Red Velvet Cheesecake Cupcake and my mom got a chocolate chip cookie, which she said was one of the best she's ever had.

As you can see, I was too focused on devouring the cupcake to remember to take a picture of it right away.

My mom and I were talking about how great the trip had been, and at some point she stopped and said, "....How did you get cupcake on your eyebrow?"

I was basically eating that cupcake the same way the Beast ate before he realized he should be more civilized around Belle. THAT'S HOW. I'm a mess and proud of it.

We just relaxed in the seating area of Starring Rolls for quite awhile.

This was one of my favorite moments of the entire trip. I did not feel the urgency I always feel on the last full day of our trips. I felt relaxed and at peace, content with just eating a cupcake and chatting with my mom while watching the comings and goings of Hollywood. It was absolutely lovely, and as if it couldn't get more perfect, the band playing near the hat started playing Beatles songs! I'm obsessed with the Beatles, so they really couldn't have picked better music to play. It was just wonderful.

I took this photo so you can see the awesome custodial CM that we met. He is the one bending over so I kind of caught him in an odd pose, but what I can I say, my paparazzi skills are not really up to par. What I can tell you about him is that he was very passionate about Disney and clearly did not mind having to pick up people's trash all day just due to the fact that he got to do it in Disney. He would overhear conversations guests were having and excuse himself into the convo to add a tip or some information. IT WAS SO CUTE. For instance, he overheard people talking about their tickets and told them they needed to get Park Hoppers. They didn't even know what that meant, and asked him why. He replied, "So you can hop from park to park." I cackled.

Up Next: Our last night of World Showcasing.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:31 PM   #845
disneyshakeygirl
DIS Veteran

I've just been catching up on this trip report (new here) and four for you for knowing Spieling Peter/Andrew! I adore him!
Old 11-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #846
cindianne320
Mouseketeer

I must have that cupcake as soon as I enter DHS next time- well, after a ride or 2 on TSM!
DH Me DS (5) DD (2) and Baby #3 due in March!
My (very bare) Fall 2013 Pre-trip Report!
7 childhood trips, Off site- 1990-2004, 2007- Universal's Royal Pacific
2010- POR, 2011- POP, 2013- A of A and Disney Dream! 2014-CS
Old 11-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #847
__disneygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyshakeygirl View Post
I've just been catching up on this trip report (new here) and four for you for knowing Spieling Peter/Andrew! I adore him!
Yay, thanks for joining in! Isn't he just the best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindianne320 View Post
I must have that cupcake as soon as I enter DHS next time- well, after a ride or 2 on TSM!
The cupcakes are a great way to refuel in between dominating people on TSM!!! :D
Old 11-25-2012, 09:32 PM   #848
disneyshakeygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by __disneygirl View Post
Yay, thanks for joining in! Isn't he just the best?
You're welcome! He is! Did you see he and Hali did a photo shoot for True Enchantment Entertainment, where he was Peter and Hali was Tink?
Old 11-26-2012, 11:18 AM   #849
__disneygirl

I DID! That was amazing! I bet they could make a LOT of money doing children's parties if they aren't doing that already. What a great job, just being with your spouse, dressing up as characters, and playing around with kids all day. I mean... that's the life.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #850
Disneyfreak508
Frumpy Princess ♥

It has been too long since I've been to 50's. and it has been too long since I've had a red velvet cupcake. AHHH IM SO HUNGRY
Old 11-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #851
__disneygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfreak508 View Post
It has been too long since I've been to 50's. and it has been too long since I've had a red velvet cupcake. AHHH IM SO HUNGRY
I know, right?? I seriously can't look at any of my food pictures without my stomach aching. Even if I've just eaten.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #852
Angebee
Mouseketeer

Hey, got a hopper pass over to here after you mentioned 50's Prime Time in your newer TR! We're going there instead of the Drive-In for my dad's birthday and I think he's going to devour that whole fried chicken on his own. It's good to know that if we change our minds we can always pop into the Tune-In Lounge to get a quick peak at what might have been. We'll have to make sure we're a little rude to hopefully get some antics.

Once you do get to Disneyland I've got a feeling you're the kind of gal who will cry walking up to the castle. Get there at rope drop. They corralled us onto Main Street just before the hub; I was standing by the ice cream shop talking on the phone with my grampa when it officially opened for the day. Great experience. Hope you get there someday! Now excuse me while I go back and catch up on this trip as well because you're a fun storyteller.

(inactive at the moment) 'No Pit Stoppo!' -- Our first TR (Feb 2013)

The Sunfinders ... 'Lady' (mom), 'Butch' (dad), me, Kit (21)

'88, '90, '94 to '98 -- offsite w/ family '09 -- ASsport & '13 -- AoA Cars '11 -- offsite at Disneyland!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #853
__disneygirl

Yeah, it's great to have the Tune In Lounge there as an option! I wish more Disney restaurants had a bar like that.

I LOVE that you are planning to be a little rude to get some antics b/c I have always wanted to have horrifically bad manners just to see how they would react. I should do that sometime for real.

I will absolutely, no doubt, 100% be crying as I walk up to the castle and I'm sure during many other times. I mean, I cry in Disney World all the time and I've been there over and over, so I can't even imagine being in the place where it all began, where Walt actually was. It's unreal!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #854
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

It's hard to believe this trip was almost a year ago! You were at 50's just a few days before me! Mmmmm that chicken. So freakin good.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:32 PM   #855
flyergrad09
Future Monorail Driver

I had no idea that the Tune-In Lounge even existed! This is why I love Disney... you can think you know a lot and then BOOM! you learn something new.

What are those gold things though? I feel like some elderly relatives of mine have them hanging on their walls, but I don't know why. I always thought that they were cake pans, but then why would you hang a cake pan on the wall?

I love that message on the sugar packets! I'll have to pay more attention to the sugar packets in the future.

Follow me on Twitter! @flyergrad09 • Follow me on Instagram! @flyergrad09

I've been a Disney girl my entire life!
May 1987 - Offsite • November 1990 - Offsite • June 1998 - OKW • December 2001/January 2002 - Offsite • December 2003/January 2004 - Offsite • December 2007/January 2008 - Offsite • December 2009 - Offsite • July 2010 - DISNEYLAND! • December 2010 - Offsite • December 2011 - ASMu • May 2012 - ASMu

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: