Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #31
CanuckTraveller
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetmonarch View Post
Thank you all for that information, and yes it is daunting. I am planning all this by myself and since I haven't done this before....well I just am trying to get everything planned. I hate to miss out on the stingray excursion but I am really concerned now.
How do I call and rent a taxi that has seat belts? My TA never mentioned that to me.
Many TAs have no idea about using child restraints in the Caribbean, that's why boards like this one are so great for sharing information!
Where are you doing this excursion? I found most of my information on the cruise critic ports of call forums, and there are many good experiences to be shared on their family boards as well. Trip advisor reviews of independent tour companies can be helpful too.
African safari, July, 2016

Past:
DCL Dream/ WDW, March, 2013
NCL Jewel, New Year's Eve, 2012
NCL Star, New Year's, 2012
NCL Sun, New Year's, 2011
Land trips to all Canadian provinces, most of the eastern US, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Cuba, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Egypt, Columbia, Puerto Rico and a few others I can't remember as a child!
CanuckTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #32
violetmonarch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckTraveller View Post
Where are you doing this excursion? I found most of my information on the cruise critic ports of call forums, and there are many good experiences to be shared on their family boards as well. Trip advisor reviews of independent tour companies can be helpful too.
We are going to GC and Cozumel. I had planned on doing the island tour at GC, and the Rays at Cozumel.

Disney Magic Western Caribbean 2013
violetmonarch is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2012, 11:52 AM   #33
klepton
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetmonarch View Post
Thank you all for that information, and yes it is daunting. I am planning all this by myself and since I haven't done this before....well I just am trying to get everything planned. I hate to miss out on the stingray excursion but I am really concerned now.
How do I call and rent a taxi that has seat belts? My TA never mentioned that to me.
In my case, I googled and/or wrote the official tourism bureau for information. In some cases I was rightly assured that there would be plenty of taxis with proper seat belts at the port. You usually just need to look/ask for a cab with seat belts, and you'll be pointed in the right direction. In some places, like St. Thomas, nearly all the cabs are the open air trucks with rows of seats in the back. There, I had contacted a private taxi company and pre-arranged a cab to take us to/from the beach. On other islands where we were booking an island tour, I just made sure the tour operator would have seat belts in their car.

If you are booking the sting ray excursion through an outside vendor (not through DCL) then you can ask them the best way to make sure you have seat belt transportation. In many cases, they will arrange it. I've even had tour guides show up with car seats already installed in their cars/buses.

Hope you get it all figured out!
klepton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #34
jillgunter
Mouseketeer

I personally would not want to lug around a car seat. I would try to just do some stuff within walking distance of the ship. At 2 and 4, excursions tend to be to much anyway. My DD was 4 when we went on our first cruise and she acted up so bad on excursions since she got so tired. We just got back from the Fantasy a week ago Saturday, she still had a melt down on one of our excursions and she is 6. Some excursions uses the big tour buses like what Disney transports you in at the parks and to the ship. I will say Grand Caymen uses small 12 people or so buses. I would not use a taxi in Cozumel. We had to go in one for our tour(I had not known this), and it was fine. He drove very safely, not like previous years. But it may have been because he was taking us to and from the Dolphin excursion. The ones that go into town I have been scared in with no kids! Hope you find something that works well, and have a great trip.

Costa Maya has a pool and some shopping right off the ship, so I would let them splash around and do some shopping. Its only 4 hours for that port.

Jill: Mom to a Disney addicted 7 year old!
jillgunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: