Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #1786
Juney
Mouseketeer

Not a Broadway show, but the new teaser for SMASH has me so excited ... Jeremy Jordan, Krysta Rodriquez, Sean Hayes, Jennifer Hudson. Anyone else?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
December '09 Disney Western Caribbean 7 Day, Magic
December '10 Walt Disney World, Polynesian
December '11 Disney Mexican Riviera, Wonder
December '12 Disney Eastern Caribbean 7 day, Fantasy

December '13 Disney Western Caribbean 7 day, Fantasy
Juney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:50 AM   #1787
Hillbeans
If you're bored, please read a book or watch TV...TFs are scared of eyebrowless people
Pulled an "Agony of Defeat" at the mall
"I told them that I liked Michael Bolton!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapppyd View Post
I've seen Carolee about 4 times in Mamma Mia, in the very short lived LeStat (pun intended!), Sister Act, and many years ago in The Scarlet Pimpernel.

By far this is the role of a lifetime for her - she is never off the stage, it's almost like a one woman play, even though she is surrounded by other actors. I don't know how she manages to maintain that level of excellence singing for 2 1/2 hours, she is a force of nature. In the first scene there is a flashback between the adult Aimee and the teenage Aimee. Just by changing her dress and letting down her hair Carolee becomes that teenager - what a wonderful actress. Her voice and body language transform her - I've seen her do that in LeStat and was amazed how good an actress she is.

The story was very interesting to me, I had never heard of Aimee Semple McPherson. Truly a woman ahead of her time. One criticism I heard from the couple behind us was that there is too much rhyming to the lyrics and you won't remember any particular song when you leave the theater. I don't care, I carry the performance with me.

I would see this again! We were lucky enough to be 4th row center orchestra - at times the actors come down in front of the stage - we could practically touch them - although I'm sure it would be a great experience from anywhere in the theater.

Kathie Lee Gifford was so nice, and very beautiful in person. One person I've met who is prettier in person than on television (she has amazing skin). She was so gracious to everyone who wanted an autograph or picture.
Very cool! I love KLG and Hoda and am happy for KLG's success after working on this show for a decade.
1977 - 1st Trip, 1982, 2nd Trip & EPCOT, 2003 - AKL, 2004 2 trips - Marriott World and POFQ, July 2005 - Grand Gathering - Emerald Isle - Coronado, Beach Club Villas, Dolphin - Mar/Apr 2007 - Mom's meet June '08, Grand Gathering # 2 - July '08 - Bought DVC July '08- First DVC trip to BWV June '09 - AKV Jambo Poly 2010, BCV June 2011, Disney Fantasy Eastern Cruise 11/2012, Disney Magic 11/2/14
Hillbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #1788
sallysmom
Mouseketeer

Peter and Starcatcher

Just took DD13 to see Peter and the Starcatcher. We LOVED it!
sallysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:47 AM   #1789
AllisonK
Be Marvelous!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallysmom
Just took DD13 to see Peter and the Starcatcher. We LOVED it!
I loved Peter and the Starcatcher! It was so clever and I loved the minimalistic design as well.

I saw Annie and Evita last weekend - both we're great. I know Annie has been done o death, but this new production felt fresh while not being too over-the-top. I LOVED Katie Finneran as Miss Hannigan as well! We saw the understudy for Annie, Taylor Richardson, who was adorable.

Evita is one of my all-time favorites an the cast just has great chemistry and work together flawlessly to tell the story.

Tonight I am seeing Fiddler on the Roof in Providence as my friend is the conductor, so that will be fun! This is his first professional gig as conductor so it's very exciting! And then in a couple of weeks I'm seeing Winter Wonderettes at the Ocean State Theatre Company in Rhode Island, which is a sequel to The Marvelous Wonderettes, which played off-Broadway a few years ago.

4/93 - Caribbean Beach Resort ~ 4/96 - Dixie Landings ~ 11/98 - MK Only ~ 4/00 - Port Orleans French Quarter ~ 1/09 - Port Orleans Riverside ~ 1/12 - Pop Century
AllisonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #1790
monarchsfan16
Holy smokes, the DIS is a big place!
Was recognized as a New Englander in Yellowstone because I exclaimed wicked awesome as Old Faithful erupted

I'm looking into getting tickets for my mom for Christmas. I think the choice has come down to Mamma Mia or Mary Poppins. Can anyone weigh in on which is a better show? Both stories are liked by both of us.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #1791
Rememberingthe70s
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarchsfan16
I'm looking into getting tickets for my mom for Christmas. I think the choice has come down to Mamma Mia or Mary Poppins. Can anyone weigh in on which is a better show? Both stories are liked by both of us.
I think Mary Poppins is the better show. Mama Mia has lots of sequins and flash, but it's pretty simply presented, where with Mary Poppins you get the magic, the flying, the two story moving house, incredible dancing, the music (including a few new tunes), and a script written by Julian Fellowes, the Downton Abbey author.
WDW Commando Club Member #119
36 Years of Vacationing at WDW
Rememberingthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #1792
disney4us2002
Tagless by choice!!

Any news or thoughts about the upcoming Cinderella on Broadway? We watched the one scene in the Macy's Thanksgiving parade and I thought it might bring me to NYC!! Cinderella is my fave Disney story.

disney4us2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:33 PM   #1793
Juney
Mouseketeer

Mary Poppins is my least favorite show ever. But I've never seen MM to compare it.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #1794
TifffanyD
DIS Veteran

We are off to see Elf tonight (on tour)! We have excellent seats (at least 4th row... might be first row... depends on how they set it up). I can't wait!!
Old 11-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #1795
Kimberle
WL Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarchsfan16 View Post
Depends on what your Mom likes. Mama Mia is all Abba music. If you love Abba's music, you'll love the show. If you don't care for the music, you probably won't love the show. Mary Poppins is not the movie. It goes back to the original book. I loved it. People that "expect" the movie are often disapointed.
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level
Kimberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:33 PM   #1796
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

We are going to see A Christmas Story next Saturday! Can't wait!
Old 11-25-2012, 08:05 PM   #1797
monarchsfan16
Holy smokes, the DIS is a big place!
Was recognized as a New Englander in Yellowstone because I exclaimed wicked awesome as Old Faithful erupted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberle View Post
Depends on what your Mom likes. Mama Mia is all Abba music. If you love Abba's music, you'll love the show. If you don't care for the music, you probably won't love the show. Mary Poppins is not the movie. It goes back to the original book. I loved it. People that "expect" the movie are often disapointed.
We both enjoy the Mamma Mia story and the corresponding Abba music. We also both enjoy the Mary Poppins story. I guess I'm wondering if one is a better show than the other, if the people watching enjoy both. Or perhaps, a better experience. This would be the first Broadway show for both of us.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #1798
Juney
Mouseketeer

I just can't recommend Mary Poppins at all. The show was boring and the theatre is horribly uncomfortable. I say see Peter before it leaves and you miss the opportunity.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Old 11-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #1799
snapppyd

Is the daughter a member of the Dis?
Every day seems to be April Fool's Day on the Dis lately

Location: Donna Reedville Mind Blown, Reeking Lumstown, OlderthanDirtboro, Only post the good ones, They Must be done away with at all costs,USA

saw A Christmas Story today - loved it!!!
Old 11-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #1800
MercoBear
Dreaming of Moving to the Mouse

I know that my mom loved Mamma Mia, especially because she grew up with that kind of music and loved it already.
MercoBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: