Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #16
luvflorida
Free entertainment is everywhere

DD22 is a huge fan of The Who (has been ever since the age of 9 when she saw a summerstock theatre production of Tommy).

She and a friend have tickets to the show in Phoenix in February. She is VERY excited for Quadrophenia!

I went with her to a performance at the Nokia Theatre a few years back, and we had second row seats. I have never heard anything as loud as that concert in my entire life! My daughter was thrilled and loved every minute of it. Pete and Roger were right in front of us, I'm guessing not more than twenty feet away. I'm a huge Beatles fan and was more interested in watching Zac Starkey on the drums!

Both of our daughters went to see Roger Daltrey in concert last October at the Hard Rock Hotel in Las Vegas. They had the VIP package and got to attend a pre-show event with a meet-and-greet with Roger. They said Roger was very gracious and super nice. He signed posters for them, paused for photos and took the time to chat with each of them. My younger daughter said he kissed her on the cheek and told her she looked lovely. Needless to say, she was on cloud nine for days!
Old 11-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #17
Music City Mama
DIS Veteran

I really want to but I can't justify the cost right now. Quardophenia is not my favorite album of theirs and while I know they'll be doing some other hits as well, I'm not sure if I want to spend the money to see that whole album live (although, I thoroughly enjoyed the making of Quadrophenia special that was on the other night). I think I could be convinced if it was on a Friday or Saturday, but it's on a weeknight here.
Music City Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #18
Squirlz
DIS Veteran

The show was last night and it was amazing! We're uploading a video of "Won't Get Fooled Again" to YouTube and I'll post it if it ever finishes. Here's a picture:

Squirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #19
dizcrazee
DIS Veteran

Hi there, OP here...I'm thrilled to see all the cool posts! Wow! Thanks for posting the picture and to the person with the ticket offer...how nice of you! This is why I love this chat board; it's actually the only one in which I participate. There are always people around with similar interests and views, and it seems like they could be my friends in "real life".

I'm so excited...one week left to go!

Pardon my middle-aged nostalgia, but The Who movie "The Kids Are Alright" came out when I was a teenager and it played for months at a run-down theater in my hometown. I used to drive across town in my old jalopy and sit by myself to watch it over and over. I really connected to their music. It kind of expressed my feelings as a angst-ridden teen, and I still love it. I guess you could say I'm a Who fan from way back, and Quadrophenia still just blows me away. In Pete's words...long live rock!

P.S. - In response to Micca, I have read Pete's autobiography and I highly recommend it!

Me DH DD:

Last edited by dizcrazee; 11-25-2012 at 06:25 PM.
dizcrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #20
Squirlz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcrazee View Post
Hi there, OP here...I'm thrilled to see all the cool posts! Wow! Thanks for posting the picture and to the person with the ticket offer...how nice of you! This is why I love this chat board; it's actually the only one in which I participate. There are always people around with similar interests and views, and it seems like they could be my friends in "real life".

I'm so excited...one week left to go!

Pardon my middle-aged nostalgia, but The Who movie "The Kids Are Alright" came out when I was a teenager and it played for months at a run-down theater in my hometown. I used to drive across town in my old jalopy and sit by myself to watch it over and over. I really connected to their music. It kind of expressed my feelings as a angst-ridden teen, and I still love it. I guess you could say I'm a Who fan from way back, and Quadrophenia still just blows me away. In Pete's words...long live rock!
I know how you feel (son). When Kids was on HBO for the first time I watched it every time it was on. At the sound check last night Pete came out with his acoustic guitar and played a little bit of I'm One. I got tears in my eyes.

Here's another picture; the autographed lithographs that came with our package.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:20 PM   #21
dizcrazee
DIS Veteran

Very cool, Squirlz - thanks for posting! We are sitting in the wheelchair accessible area, which is not all that close to the stage, but that's probably a good thing since hubby has pretty bad tinnitis (like Pete) and doesn't need to do anymore damage to his ears.

However, we are attending a pre-concert dinner in the "Patron Platinum Club", and we're hoping that some members of the band will make an appearance. Of course, we'll be in Nashville, so who knows who might show up for that. Unfortunately, we won't recognize any of the country music celebs, since we don't listen to that genre. The only country music singers I would recognize are no longer with us, like Johnny Cash and Hank Williams. We'll probably be sitting right next to some famous country singer and won't even know it. Oh well, it will be a nice break from fame for them.

Me DH DD:
Old 11-26-2012, 06:24 PM   #22
Squirlz
DIS Veteran

Here are a couple if videos my Wife shot with her cell phone. In this one Pete sees her phone, says "Do you want it?" And then...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIBXi...1&feature=plcp

And this one is the last song in its entirety. Well worth the time. And yes, the guy in front of us is a professional Rod Stewart impersonator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soUcy...7TA&playnext=1
Old 11-28-2012, 09:53 AM   #23
dizcrazee
DIS Veteran

Thanks, Squirlz - great videos! I'm happy to see that Pete's still got some of the old moves - the "windmill arm" is still in fine form.

I hope we get "Won't Get Fooled Again" in Nashville! I'm a little worried that Roger's voice won't hold out for it and they'll have to omit that song or maybe "Baba O'Riley". I'm keeping my fingers crossed! There's no way they could play everything that I want to hear, but I hope we can get the "anthems".

By the way, that guy looks just like Rod!

I can't wait!

Me DH DD:

Last edited by dizcrazee; 11-28-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #24
Squirlz
DIS Veteran

He did seem to be saving his voice for that final climactic scream. He was drinking tea throughout the sound check and concert too.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #25
dizcrazee
DIS Veteran

Hi Squirlz, I will post a full report on the concert after we get back from our trip. We leave tomorrow afternoon to head to Nashville (about 400 miles away).

We have been preparing for the concert by educating our 15 year old daughter, who is going with us, on the history of The Who and their music, the mod scene, etc. We got a documentary from Netflix titled something like "The Who, Mods, and the Quadrophenia Connection" that really delved into this little piece of cultural history.

The themes of Quadrophenia are very relevant to her stage of life - the role of peer groups, the significance of clothes and fads, relationships, the desire to fit in, etc. Although Pete focused on the mod scene since it was his frame of reference as a young man, these themes are pertinent and applicable in any era. It has already spawned some good discussions around here.

Please excuse my nerdishness - as you can see, I'm very enthusiastic.

Me DH DD:
Old 12-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #26
dizcrazee
DIS Veteran

My Reflections

Hi DIS friends, as promised, here is my review of the concert. If you read ticketmaster reviews, it may sound familiar...I posted basically the same thing there too.

My, my, my...what a concert. It was absolutely brilliant. The Who played Quadrophenia in its entirety, followed by five of their most popular songs – “Who Are You”, “Behind Blue Eyes”, “Pinball Wizard”, “Baba O'Riley”, and “Won't Get Fooled Again”. They concluded by playing "Tea & Theatre", which is a very moving song about the journey the band has taken and the achievements and losses they have experienced.

They opened Quadrophenia with a film montage of the post-WWII events in the UK (such as rationing and the coronation of Queen Elizabeth) leading up to the early 1960's, when mod culture, which is the background of the story, burst on the scene in England.

Toward the end of Quadrophenia, as the story (or rock opera, whichever you prefer) reaches its pinnacle and conclusion with the astoundingly beautiful "Love Reign O'er Me", they showed another film montage, displaying events in both the UK and the US from the time in which the story is set to today, such as the assassination of Kennedy, the death of Princess Diana, 9/11, and Hurricane Katrina. It was profound and beyond moving. It was an emotional and stirring retrospective of "our times" - the baby boomers' times - my world, that of the band, and most of the audience. The combination of these scenes and the haunting music moved me and many of those around me to tears. I will never forget it.

Pete and Roger were both in fine form and the sound quality was excellent - no distortion, clear as a bell and not too loud.

Pete Townsend is a musical genius. Leave it to him to create something of such magnificent profundity - delving into the human condition with piercing and unforgettable beauty and insight. Congratulations to Pete, Roger, and the rest of their band and crew on another amazing achievement.

Me DH DD:
Old 12-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #27
zurgswife
WDW is my Shangrala...and I'm going...life is better!!!

4 days for me!!! Can't wait.

In Honor of Robin Costello I will miss you my dear friend.
zurgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #28
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

Thanks for that terrific review Dizcrazee! Makes me wish I was going to see them this tour. The 12-12-12 appearance will be as close as I can get this time.
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:01 PM   #29
ShesAPirate
DIS Veteran

Going tomorrow night!
Old 12-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #30
msminniemouse
DIS Veteran

Going Thurs. night.
msminniemouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: