Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
lemondog
My twins fight over who tooted
I always have the itch!

Amazon Prime...worth it?

We are getting our oldest DD a Kindle Fire for Christmas. She is more willing to read on a tablet than a book, and she definitely needs motivation to read. We also like the parental control features vs. the iPad, especially the part where we can limit how much she "plays" on it yet still maintain unlimited reading time.

To get to my question, I see that with Amazon Prime there are over 180,000 books you can "rent" for free, like a library. Have you found there to be a decent selection of juvenile/young adult titles to choose from. Our local library DOES offer ebooks to check out and in fact I check them out all the time to the Kindle app on my iPad. Would this be redundant??? Also, I do order from Amazon from time to time so the free expedited shipping would be nice. Just wondering if you think Amazon Prime is a worthwhile expenditure? Any other benefits I should know about? Thanks.

DD1 (12), DD2 (10), DD3 (10) DD4 (2)

I've been pickled! Thanks illuminati!
lemondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

I have Amazon Prime and for me it is totally worth it. I shop Amazon frequently so the savings on shipping is the reason. I don't know if I'd spend the money on Prime if it was just for borrowing books or streaming videos. It would really depend on how often I do that. I have a Kindle, and rarely borrow books from Amazon, I either download free ones, or borrow from my local library.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
I have Amazon Prime and for me it is totally worth it. I shop Amazon frequently so the savings on shipping is the reason. I don't know if I'd spend the money on Prime if it was just for borrowing books or streaming videos. It would really depend on how often I do that. I have a Kindle, and rarely borrow books from Amazon, I either download free ones, or borrow from my local library.
That last part got my attention how does the last part of your statement work and how expensive is it I read a lot
Old 11-25-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellandeeyor View Post
That last part got my attention how does the last part of your statement work and how expensive is it I read a lot
Amazon has a ton of free books to download so every couple days I just check the top 100. I also subscribe to Pixel Of Ink (on FB) because publishers will release a book for free for a limited time and they keep you updated.
I can borrow ebooks from my local library, but the most popular usually have a waitlist. I honestly don't know how much I spend on books, but if I take how many I have read compared to how many I've paid real money for its a very small amount.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemondog
We are getting our oldest DD a Kindle Fire for Christmas. She is more willing to read on a tablet than a book, and she definitely needs motivation to read. We also like the parental control features vs. the iPad, especially the part where we can limit how much she "plays" on it yet still maintain unlimited reading time.

To get to my question, I see that with Amazon Prime there are over 180,000 books you can "rent" for free, like a library. Have you found there to be a decent selection of juvenile/young adult titles to choose from. Our local library DOES offer ebooks to check out and in fact I check them out all the time to the Kindle app on my iPad. Would this be redundant??? Also, I do order from Amazon from time to time so the free expedited shipping would be nice. Just wondering if you think Amazon Prime is a worthwhile expenditure? Any other benefits I should know about? Thanks.
I have Prime and it is worth it to me.

I have an Amazon visa and I do a lot of shopping through the site. I use it for the lending library and streaming videos as well!
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17- The Strain Guillermo Del Toro
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:31 PM   #6
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
Amazon has a ton of free books to download so every couple days I just check the top 100. I also subscribe to Pixel Of Ink (on FB) because publishers will release a book for free for a limited time and they keep you updated.
I can borrow ebooks from my local library, but the most popular usually have a waitlist. I honestly don't know how much I spend on books, but if I take how many I have read compared to how many I've paid real money for its a very small amount.
Thank you
Old 11-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
mr.bungle
DIS Veteran

I order a lot off Amazon and Prime is totally worth it for me. I haven't used the instant video a whole bunch, though.
mr.bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:58 PM   #8
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts

As a 4 year subscriber , its a big yes. One large box, or one last minute gift will likely covet half the cost.

The first year i got it my first shipping cost would have been 24 dollars!!!
Before that too many to list
!

SOME IMAGINATION, HUH??? - Mickey Mouse
xipotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #9
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

I just ordered the Kindle Paperwhite last night and decided to sign up for Prime...I order a lot from Amazon so hoping the savings on shipping will be worth it.

Would like to try the streaming stuff but have not tried it yet.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:25 PM   #10
DeluxePrincess
Humming the Farm Town song...

I do a good majority of my shopping on Amazon so it has been totally worth it for me.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:31 PM   #11
Albort
ODV Crew
The challenge is - who can find me?

It depends on how much you buy though. Now that amazon charges tax in California, i dont think its worth it anymore. it might be easier/better if you find like 4 ppl and share an account.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #12
csp131
"Hey thanks for being such a great test crew. Come back and ride anytime, bye now!"

Not so sure about the books part, but I'd highly recommend Amazon Prime. It comes in handy, especially when the whole family can use it to buy things online with free 2-day shipping.

Also I should mention that amazon prime members can get video games the day they come out in the mail if they pre-order them.

Last edited by csp131; 11-25-2012 at 10:28 PM.
csp131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:27 PM   #13
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

We have Prime and love it. It make shopping so much easier. We also order many things that you cant just run to the store and buy. For example I bought my husband two books for Christmas that I never would have found here in town (or it would have taken a lot of searching). We pretty much only use it for the free two day shipping.
We always cost compare in stores as well. I have the Amazon app on my phone so I can just scan a bar code and see if Amazon has it and what they are selling it for.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #14
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house

If you are buying kindle prime "just" for the lending library - just be aware that there is a limit of 1 book per month.

We have "prime" but use it primarily for the shipping benefits.

DD has a kindle ( but since she is in college - she hasn't read anything "fun") so we haven't used the lending library. I've heard the the lending library books will only download to kindles. I do my e-reading on an ipad.

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!
clh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #15
S. C.
Loves to snorkel
Swam with the dolphins
Got soaked on BTMRR
Another tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
We have Prime and love it. It make shopping so much easier. We also order many things that you cant just run to the store and buy. For example I bought my husband two books for Christmas that I never would have found here in town (or it would have taken a lot of searching). We pretty much only use it for the free two day shipping.
We always cost compare in stores as well. I have the Amazon app on my phone so I can just scan a bar code and see if Amazon has it and what they are selling it for
That sounds like something I would use. Where would I find the app at on Amazon? I'm new to all of this kind of stuff. Never had internet on my phone in the past as I never felt the need for it. The plan I have now does have internet.
..................If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

There's a great big, beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day!

S. C. is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: