Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 11:47 AM   #16
Luv Bunnies
DIS Veteran

I second the idea of a Keratin Treatment. I've been getting them for the past two years and I love the results. They make my hair smooth, straight and shiny. It's very straight right after the treatment, but it gets some body to it after a few washings. My stylist does two kinds - a full treatment that lasts 12 weeks (you can't wash your hair for three days afterward), and an express treatment (you can wash your hair 8 hours later) that lasts about 7 weeks. I've been getting the express treatments for $100. Lately, I've been getting them about every 12 weeks. Since the Keratin has built up in my hair, my stylist said the results are lasting longer and I don't need to get them as often. You need to use sulfate-free shampoo to preserve the keratin, and swimming in chlorine or salt water will affect it.
Luv Bunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:28 PM   #17
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's

Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciec View Post
Thanks! It's not really even curly it's just, well frankly, coming in looking like a Brillo pad. Feels like one too! I think I'm going to try and take Pre natal vitamins again and see if that helps. I think I need to increase my water intake as well. I'm just grasping at straws that it might be a vitamin or other diet deficiency.
You could have developed a thyroid problem along with all the changes of childbirth.

My hair used to be stick straight, now it's frizzy & wavy because of thyroid problems. I've been co-washing, as other people mentioned. But, I recently had to get a few inches cut off as the bottom has become so frizzy in spite of the co-washing. I looked like I had Hermione Granger's hair!

While at the salon, the stylist rubbed on Kerastase's Oleo-Relax Serum afterward. It is a leave on serum. My hair is once again soft, sleek & straight!

Here is the review at makeupalley.com for the rub/leave on Kerastase's Oleo-Relax Serum:
http://www.makeupalley.com/product/s...mid=17161/oleo

Amazon's reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/Kerastase-Nutr.../dp/B000BIXP5S

ALL the Kerastase products are super expensive, but, they do stuff to my hair that no other products do. This is like the third product of Kerastase that I've used.

Their conditioner treatment, the Aqua-Oleo or Oleo-Fusion is fantastic. But, I usually don't find the time to do this which is why my hair ends up so dry & frizzy. You HAVE to leave it on about 20 minutes so it fully penetrates the hair, then rinse. It always makes my hair super soft, shiny, and like newly grown hair again. You can usually only get Kerastase products at more high-end salons or search on-line for it. They will not be at cheap drugstores.
http://www.makeupalley.com/product/s.../ItemID=42251/

I realized I have to stop trying to find a cheap alternative to the Kerastase products when I run out. My hair never comes out the same as when this stuff in on or conditioned with it and I end up with damaged, un-repairable hair that needs to be cut off.
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!

Last edited by Imzadi; 11-25-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #18
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

I would speak to my MD about doing some blood tests for thyroid problems. That can cause dry hair.

Use a very gentle shampoo....I might even try baby shampoo.

What I have been doing for my recently turned coarser hair...
I have "salt & pepper" hair. The "salt" is quite dry and coarse. I bought argon oil. I found it near the conditioners in the store. I believe the one I purchased is made by the line of hair care called "Aussie". It's in a blue & brown bottle & I think it cost $5.99 at Bed, Bath & Beyond.

This stuff is amazing! After my shower.I gently blot my hair so it's not dripping wet. Put a dime-sized amount of this stuff on my hands, rub my hands together to distribute it over my hands and then rub my hands through my hair.

I have been doing this for about a week and people have been commenting on how nice and shiny smooth my hair looks. It doesn't leave it greasy, just shiny-looking and smoother.

Also, buy a vitamin specially formulated for hair, skin & nails. My sister-in-law used this after her chemo was over (on the advice of her oncology team) and her hair grew back in beautifully!
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:24 PM   #19
LauraTheStylist
Earning My Ears

Check the ingredient list of your shampoo to make sure it's sulfate free, those are salts that make shampoos lather up but they also roughen up hair and dry it out. You'll get your hair much softer and healthier if you change over to sulfate free shampoos, try the ones from the pro naturals hair care system. They're online at beyas.ca, they have all these argan oil hair repair products you might want to try out. If I were you I would get the argan oil, that stuff helps damaged hair soooo much! I used it like a month ago and my hair is really soft and healthy now. It's not even greasy, you put some on after a shower and leave it.
LauraTheStylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #20
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
I would speak to my MD about doing some blood tests for thyroid problems. That can cause dry hair.

Use a very gentle shampoo....I might even try baby shampoo.

What I have been doing for my recently turned coarser hair...
I have "salt & pepper" hair. The "salt" is quite dry and coarse. I bought argon oil. I found it near the conditioners in the store. I believe the one I purchased is made by the line of hair care called "Aussie". It's in a blue & brown bottle & I think it cost $5.99 at Bed, Bath & Beyond.

This stuff is amazing! After my shower.I gently blot my hair so it's not dripping wet. Put a dime-sized amount of this stuff on my hands, rub my hands together to distribute it over my hands and then rub my hands through my hair.

I have been doing this for about a week and people have been commenting on how nice and shiny smooth my hair looks. It doesn't leave it greasy, just shiny-looking and smoother.

Also, buy a vitamin specially formulated for hair, skin & nails. My sister-in-law used this after her chemo was over (on the advice of her oncology team) and her hair grew back in beautifully!
We've always used baby shampoo to help remove color (like Prell! ) It is gentle on the eyes but less than gentle for your hair. JMHO

You do not need a keratin treatment from the looks of your picture. It truly looks like new growth from your pregnancy. Very common. I'd take the vitamins and use a sulfate free shampoo or a hydrating shampoo/conditioner. Give it time, it'll get better. Make sure you have enough PROTEIN in your diet!

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:30 PM   #21
maciec
AHHHH....Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?

Well today I used a different shampoo from my normal Panteen and my hair doesn't look as bad not feel as bad. Not crazy about the shampoo and conditioner that I used, but it's a start! Thanks a bunch for all of the suggestions!!!

maciec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #22
maciec
AHHHH....Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?

And another update!

While I still have the Brillo look its not as noticeable. I started using the Suave Keratin shampoo and conditioner and I LOVE IT!!!! Throwing away the Panteen!

maciec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:06 AM   #23
kaligal
DIS Veteran

Herbal Essences, None of Your Frizness

Works for me!
Fantasmic sucks.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #24
wilderness01
Been There, Done That, Going Back!

Panteen damaged my daughter's hair.

I rec'd a Keratin treatment and it was the best thing I ever did for frizz.

Prepare your child for the path, not the path for your child.
wilderness01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #25
elizke
Has feelings for her Crockpot!

Yes, regrowth is good, but frizzy! I have definitely had that problem, really since I had babies.

I find it advantageous to rotate products! Seems like anything you use will build up and go from shiny to dull. So what ever you use, take a break from it and then reintroduce it.

One of my favorite products I reintroduce is Infusium. Years ago I used to have to buy it from a hairdresser friend but now it is available everywhere and it really helps keep hair healthy. (Used on and off, as I discussed! I also rotate Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Smoothing Serum.

I am always open to other products to introduce into the rotation, so watching this thread!
elizke is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: