Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
720L
DIS Veteran

So excited going to Disney for Christmas BUT everyone is mad at us for leaving.

I'm so excited for a Disney Christmas trip....but everyone we tell gets mad that we are going to be gone at Christmas! I'm not expecting them to change plans, but mentioned maybe having a special party with us before we leave......NOPE they aren't doing it. OK.......I will not let this ruin my trip....I will not let this ruin my trip...I will not let this ruin my trip.
(1988&1992ffsite) (1995:Dixie Landings) (1998: ASM) (2001:Disneyland) (2002:ASM) (2003 & 2004:Disneyland) (2005: POP) (2006: AKL & POP) (2007:POP,BC,CR) (2008: POP,AKL,CSR,ASMU,AKL) (2009: CSR ,POP,POLY,GF) (2010: DISNEYLAND DLH in June/ POP & BC in July/ POFQ for Thanksgiving) (April 1-8, 2011 AKL)(June 2011 POFQ)(October 13-16, 2011 Boardwalk) (June 2012 Disneyland/Carsland opening day!) (July 22, 2012-August 3, 2012 Disneyworld CSR & BC)(Christmas 2012 AOA)(:Spring Break April 2013 POP) (June 2013 AKL)(Thanksgiving 2013 Nov. 21-24 POP)(AKL!! June 2014)(AOA: October 2014)
720L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Is your last name "Krank"?
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Were all of you planning on having some kind of family get-together for the holiday? Why would they care how you are spending Christmas?

*1993 - CBR* *1996 - CR* *1999 - Poly* *2005 - College Program* *2005 - CBR* *2006 - Off site* *2008 - ASMu* *2012 - Pop* *2012 - POR Royal Guest Room* *2013 - All Star Sports* *2013 - Disneyland* *2014 - ASMO* *2014 - AoA* *2014 - WL* *2015 - POR Royal Guest Room*

JennaDeeDooDah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720L View Post
I'm so excited for a Disney Christmas trip....but everyone we tell gets mad that we are going to be gone at Christmas! I'm not expecting them to change plans, but mentioned maybe having a special party with us before we leave......NOPE they aren't doing it. OK.......I will not let this ruin my trip....I will not let this ruin my trip...I will not let this ruin my trip.
I may be a bit confused. I see no problem being at Disney during Christmas. I always just RSVP with a sorry we can't make it, BUT are you saying you are asking others to change the date of their parties so you can attend when you are not at Disney?
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
shortbun
Peacenik

Well, it seems a little late for you to tell everyone you're going to be gone for the holidays and ask for a special party just for you. If you want to celebrate Christmas with the family, you need to be there, kwim? Family would accomodate military, college, sickness, other families schedules but to ask that they schedule an extra party so you-who intentionally made plans to be away. Too much to ask. I wouldn't be mad but I'd probably roll my eyes and shrug you off because it would feel like you had done that very thing to me. As adults, we should know that we don't get it all our way.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
Gumbo4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbun View Post
Well, it seems a little late for you to tell everyone you're going to be gone for the holidays and ask for a special party just for you. If you want to celebrate Christmas with the family, you need to be there, kwim? Family would accomodate military, college, sickness, other families schedules but to ask that they schedule an extra party so you-who intentionally made plans to be away. Too much to ask. I wouldn't be mad but I'd probably roll my eyes and shrug you off because it would feel like you had done that very thing to me. As adults, we should know that we don't get it all our way.
If that's indeed what OP is saying (and I read it the same way as you), I agree 100%. Maybe OP can host a gathering prior to the trip, or after the holidays are over?
Old 11-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

Quote:
We've done Disney at Christmas a couple of times - it's a great trip. Be prepared for lines like you've never experienced before.

Not sure who you're referring to when you say "everyone". Many families are deeply rooted in holiday traditions together so I can see why some may be upset. But they'll adjust. Friends, neighbors, etc? No reason for them to be mad. At any rate, I wouldn't ask for a special party to fit my travel plans. The holidays are busy enough and I wouldn't want to try to fit everyone into a special early bird verson of Christmas. I would probably would have done gifts at Thanksgiving instead and be done with it.

Have fun!
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:02 PM   #8
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
If that's indeed what OP is saying (and I read it the same way as you), I agree 100%. Maybe OP can host a gathering prior to the trip, or after the holidays are over?
Oh! I didn't read it that way. I read it as she was inviting people to an early Christmas party and that they didn't want to go because they were mad that she wouldn't be there on the 25th. Your way does change things.

*1993 - CBR* *1996 - CR* *1999 - Poly* *2005 - College Program* *2005 - CBR* *2006 - Off site* *2008 - ASMu* *2012 - Pop* *2012 - POR Royal Guest Room* *2013 - All Star Sports* *2013 - Disneyland* *2014 - ASMO* *2014 - AoA* *2014 - WL* *2015 - POR Royal Guest Room*

JennaDeeDooDah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:03 PM   #9
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
I am confused as well. Are you inviting them to your house for a get together or are you expecting whoever usually hosts Christmas to do something early so you can be there? If its the latter, I can understand them not doing it.
I wouldn't let anything ruin your trip, you don't have to please anyone else for Christmas, and they don't have to please you either
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #10
*JoGo*
DIS Veteran

The way I read it is the op's extended family is saying why are you going to be away for Xmas, why go now, when will you do Xmas, etc....

I don't think they are truly mad. Maybe the op's parents but not literally everyone. They also probably have tentative Xmas plans for family gatherings already made based on past xmases, and perhaps said when will we give you your gifts... And ThEN the op says we can have a party earlier! And the relatives said no, bc they are busy. Or perhaps the gathering is their main Xmas event and who wants to do Xmas two weeks or more before actual Xmas and then sit at home on Xmas while op and what feels like everyone else in the world is having fun with family.

At any rate, op, go, have fun.
*JoGo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:09 PM   #11
Gumbo4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
Oh! I didn't read it that way. I read it as she was inviting people to an early Christmas party and that they didn't want to go because they were mad that she wouldn't be there on the 25th. Your way does change things.
Your way is a possibility too. I really can't tell
Old 11-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #12
Gumbo4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by *JoGo* View Post
The way I read it is the op's extended family is saying why are you going to be away for Xmas, why go now, when will you do Xmas, etc....

I don't think they are truly mad. Maybe the op's parents but not literally everyone. They also probably have tentative Xmas plans for family gatherings already made based on past xmases, and perhaps said when will we give you your gifts... And ThEN the op says we can have a party earlier! And the relatives said no, bc they are busy. Or perhaps the gathering is their main Xmas event and who wants to do Xmas two weeks or more before actual Xmas and then sit at home on Xmas while op and what feels like everyone else in the world is having fun with family.

At any rate, op, go, have fun.
Definitely
Old 11-25-2012, 04:23 PM   #13
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

Christmas is a month away and my family (and DH's) have not made plans yet. I think it's still early. I understand OP as we went last Xmas and went with all my inlaws. My mom was not happy and I am still hearing about it. Her BF even said something at Thanksgiving...I said something about going away next Thanksgiving and he said "your kids will never get to know what it's like to spend the holidays with their grandma since you keep dragging them away for every holiday". My kids are 15 and 13 and last Xmas was the 1st time we did a holiday vacation. And, last year, I asked my mom to do her Xmas dinner after we got back from Disney if she wanted to have an Xmas with us (my kids are her only grands...I have 1 bro who doesn't have a wife or kids) or she could skip it or I could do a dinner when we got back...her choice and she chose to do a New Year's dinner (we were at Disney from 12/20-26....BTW there were NO lines until 12/24...it was nice). I know she likes us to do Xmas presents at her house, under her tree.

OP, enjoy your trip. It really is something to see Disney at Xmas. If you'll be there before the 24th...get everything in before Xmas Eve as it gets super crowded and unbearable.
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:28 PM   #14
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Just one of those things op. I know my parents would have had a cow also had I came in and told them we would not be visiting them over Christmas!!

My son is a college freshmen and if I'm honest, I would be real salty if he called and said he wasn't coming home for the holidays.

Anyway, go and have fun.
eliza61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #15
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Look at it this way. It would be worse if they didn't care. Hopefully, you can plan something special for your family and that you'll also have fun at WDW.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: