Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #16
leelee9878
DIS Veteran

I missed a flight once and came real close to missing another. I was flying to Tampa from Newark for work and booked the early flight so I could spend time at the pool...I woke up and it was light out and I knew I missed the flight being as it was scheduled to take off at 6:00 and I live an hour from airport. This happened about 3 years ago and was on Continental, they put me on standby for the next flight and I got on no problem, no extra charge.

I almost missed a flight out of Atlantic city on spirit and had it been any other airport we would have missed the flight, Atlantic City is a very small airport so that's why we made it. They told us if we didn't make it we would have had to pay the difference in fare, not sure if they actually would have if it came down to it.

It is a terrible feeling and a lot of extra stress, I don't want to experience it again!
March 2009- Suprise Parents at Disney - SSR
December 2009- Crazy Family Trip #1 AKV Kidani
May 2010- Disney Magic, 11 Night Med Cruise
September 2010- Last Minute Birthday Surprise BWV & BLT
November 2010- Disney Wonder, 3 Night Bahamas Cruise
December 2010- Crazy Family Trip#2 BCV
November 2011- Disney Dream, 4 Night Bahamas Cruise & SSR
December 2011 - Last Min Trip - OKW
January 2012 - Hawaii - Aulani!!!
leelee9878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #17
mommasita
I am like HELLO IT IS TEN OCLOCK...Anderson is on

Has a sweetie who is Furbilicious

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-key View Post
if you miss a connection flight thats not your fought, will the airline comp you a hotel if they cant get you there right away
It depends. Is your connection flight with another airline?
If it is the same airline, we will reprotect you on another flight, and if it isn't until the next day or later, yes we will give you a hotel voucher.

If we are waiting on enough passengers from a connecting flight, we "may" hold the flight.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #18
mommasita
I am like HELLO IT IS TEN OCLOCK...Anderson is on

Has a sweetie who is Furbilicious

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus77 View Post
Never missed a flight personally, but I have heard people say "we just caught a later one." Not to ask a dumb question, but do you have to pay for a whole new plane ticket? Wouldn't it be awfully expensive to miss a flight? How does that work?
If there is another flight, there may or may not be a cost. If these are destinations we fly hourly and there are openings, then generally we will just put you on the next one. It all depends on the passengers also. If I am getting a blast, then NO.

Often these are chartered flights, and YEP you may have to pay a whole new ticket home on these flights.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #19
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

I've come close, but don't think I've ever missed a flight. I'm only a 2-3 times per year flyer.
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:47 PM   #20
Minerva Mouse
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
I no longer have eyebrows. I have bushes!

A member of my family recently missed one, like two weeks ago. I drove them to the airport, and it took longer to clear security than expected, anyway. The 2.5 nonstop flight turned into a 8 hour wait/flight/layover in Atlanta/flight home at midnight. But, they did make it, so I guess that's the important thing.
Minerva Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:57 PM   #21
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Not so far. I remember one time a coworker sneaked on just as they were closing the door. Same trip, we almost missed our flight home due to the same coworker insisting we had time to stop for ice cream LOL
Old 11-24-2012, 11:00 PM   #22
shinysparklybubbles
DIS Veteran

I'm scared to answer this out of jinxing myself.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #23
Andtototoo
DIS Veteran

Many years ago -- 1986 -- I missed a flight because they'd rebooked me on an earlier flight and I didn't know about it until I got to the airport and they told me, "You missed your flight!"

I lived two hours from the airport. So I'd left 3 hours before my flight. About 2 hours before my flight was to leave, they'd called my home to say they'd rebooked me on a flight leaving in one hour.

Not only was I en route and therefore not at home to get the phone call (and this was before cell phones), I lived two hours away. So even IF I'd been home, giving me one hour's notice wasn't going to cut it.

It was a freaking nightmare. A two hour flight turned into a twelve hour extravaganza. Best part -- I was flying to go to a job interview. Even better -- on one of those legs of that 12 hours extravaganza, a so-called two year old sitting on his mother's lap (the size of 4 year old), who'd been hitting and kicking me for the better part of an hour, spilled OJ all over my suit. You know, THE suit you wear to an important job interview? That suit. So when I finally got off the flight and was met by the Grand Pooba, it was the NEXT DAY and not only was my suit wrinkled, I REEKED of sour OJ.

I wasn't surprised when I didn't get the job. It's hard to overcome the negatives of reeking of sour OJ during a job interview or not having slept the night before.

More recently, we came close a couple of times due to tremendous delays getting through security.
Andtototoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #24
DVC-Don
DIS Veteran

Location: Saratoga County, New York and Poinciana (Solivita), Florida in the winters

Once. We had to fly standby but got out only a couple of hours late.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:09 AM   #25
Mom_Rides
DIS Veteran

I have never missed a flight. I have had AirTran cancel us out of a flight because they had one person working the counter and the line was 3 miles long. Even though we had 45 minutes until our flight after we checked in, they told us we would not make it through security in time.

My sister and I almost missed our connecting but that was our own stupidity. We didn't have a lot of time between flights but enough to use the restroom and make it to the gate. We got to the gate and there were a ton of people sitting there. We took a seat and time passed and it was nearing our flight time. I said I wonder why they're not boarding. My sister looks out the window and said there are people on the plane. I went to the counter and asked and she said we're in final boarding. Ooops! We were the last ones on the plane and they literally closed the door behind us!

Our first trip! June 5-11, 2010 @ POR
A short trip just for our Princess! April 17-19, 2012 @ POP
Mom_Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:12 AM   #26
DeltaDiamond001
DISaholic
I thought getting a new box of crayons and a pad of paper was cool...

I've never actually missed a flight, but I have come unbelievably close.

I do a lot of travel between Atlanta and Milwaukee. Flying out of Atlanta is super easy. I get to the airport an hour before my flight is scheduled to take off, and I've always been at the gate with at least 10 minutes before boarding begins. Of course I leave a lot of extra time during busy periods, holidays, etc., and I always leave an hour before I usually would if I'm going to be driving in rush hour.

Flying out of Milwaukee is a different story. I can't tell you what a nightmare that airport is. The highways and access roads surrounding the airport have been torn up for years, and the detours are so convoluted and overly complicated. I always leave a lot of time just for the sake of road construction.

Security is horrible as well. There is usually one, and sometimes two, security lines open for each terminal, and the line has been known to snake back to the main part of the airport! I always end up behind someone who hasn't been on a plane since 9/11 and is unfamiliar with security procedures. Needless to say, I've done the whole Home Alone thing, running to the gate as the door is closing. Awful.

I have to fly out of the Milwaukee airport in a few hours. Wish me luck...

"If you can dream it, you can do it." ~Walt Disney
DeltaDiamond001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #27
rszdtrvl
DIS Veteran

Almost.

Our junior high trip to NYC last summer.

We made it to the airport only an hour before departure. Our entire group of38. Only two TSA checks were open. And it was dinnertime.

They ended up holding the plane for us. It departed 45 minutes late.

It was a disaster.

Needless to say, when we travel as a family and *I* make the arrangements, we are ALWAYS on time. Normally we stay at a park and ride hotel next to the airport the night prior to travel. It is equal to, if not cheaper, than paying for parking at the airport.
rszdtrvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #28
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I am a frequent flier. I have missed flights, especially connecting flights. On my trip to Central America earlier this year I was supposed to have 2 flights with total travel time of 7 hours. Instead it took 6 flights and 30 hours to get there.

This is why I never check luggage. It's just one less headache when trying to wing it at the airport.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #29
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Missed a connection because of how the idiots at Southwest booked it. 20 minutes between flights in Phoenix. I questioned it, and the Southwest agent said the computer wouldn't let them book it if it wasn't possible. Checked with a supervisor, said, never been a problem. WRONG. Didn't have a choice, it was a family emergency, and had to fly in and back quickly. Our flight was 10 minutes late coming in, and our connecting flight left 10 minutes early.
So here I am, at 7 pm in Phoenix, with no way home and I have to be at work at 11 pm in Sacramento. And since Southwest had trade agreements with no other airlines, and no more flights to Sacramento, the best they could do was write me a check for my air fare and wish me luck with another airline! Managed to get on another flight for the same air fare, landed, dropped my wife off at home, and made it to work 15 minutes late!
Old 11-25-2012, 12:28 PM   #30
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

Missed a connection when my flight originating out of Philadelphia was very late on taking off. Landed in the connecting airport with my connecting flight long gone. We pretty much sat in the airport all day (me alone with my three little at the time kids) until they could get us on a flight with enough space for all of us. They tried to get us on each flight available, but when those flights are booked, they're booked and they won't bump anyone because you missed your flight regardless of the reason. We finally got out on the last flight of the day. Miserable day overall. I really try to avoid connections at all costs now. Even if it means paying more.
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: