Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
vmedisneymom
Mouseketeer

fantasy kid club question

Anyone sailing the fantasy or has sailed recently. We just got off the Magic from our third cruise. My son is in that almost 10 I am too old for the kids club mode so we are waiting to sail again until he can go to Edge. My question is I am prepping for 2014 dates and looking at a February cruise - his birthday is 2/27 but was looking to book the one that is over President's Day break so it lessens the number of absences he gets at school. If he turns 11 in a week after the cruise, do you think (or know) if they will let him go in Edge? I called DCL and they said they weren't sure - no way to know until we get on the ship. This cruise will be to celebrate his birthday. Any help or insight would be appreciated!

vmedisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Unless you are lucky enough to get a CM who has cruised, it is amazing how little shoreside sometimes knows about what happens on the ship.

The rule has always been that if a kid is within 30 days of the "move up" birthday, he or she is allowed to move up. More difference than that requires an interview with the CM and often a "trial period." So, if your son will be 11 in 1 week, no problem at all.

Do remember that the Lab programs are actually designed for kids thru age 12. There is the 11-12 overlap age where kids/parents can choose whether the Lab or Edge is more appropriate. I know...they ALL want to be in the bigger kid programs!
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-23-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
vmedisneymom
Mouseketeer

Thank you so much!

That's just what I hoped to hear Thanks again! Now if the dates for 2014 will just come out so I can move my dummy date!
vmedisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
scootch
DIS Veteran

We just cruised the Fantasy Nov 3-10... our friends dd does not turn 11 until February but they had no problem with her moving up(to be with my newly turned 13 dd)..... so they surely did not go with the 30 day thing there.(3 months from being 11) Now if you want to work the other way, they are completely strict.... my newly turned 13 year old was not even allowed to consider moving down(most of our travelmates were 8-11 years old).
~~Nov 2005 Contemporary
~~November 2006 Contemporary Making memories with my 21 year old niece with cancer
Sweet Lindsey passed March 2007
~~November 2007 WL
~~Nov 08 VWL
~~Nov 09 WDW BLT DiscoveryCove SeaWorld and DCL Wonder
~~April 2011 B2B Disney Dream
~~Nov 2011 WDW/BLT
~~Nov 2012 VWL/ Eastern Fantasy
~~ June 2013 DISNEYLAND/CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE
~~Feb 2014 Contemporary/ Disney Eastern Fantasy
~~Nov 2014 Disney Grand Floridian Villas
scootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:40 AM   #5
tastefullyjenn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootch View Post
We just cruised the Fantasy Nov 3-10... our friends dd does not turn 11 until February but they had no problem with her moving up(to be with my newly turned 13 dd)..... so they surely did not go with the 30 day thing there.(3 months from being 11) Now if you want to work the other way, they are completely strict.... my newly turned 13 year old was not even allowed to consider moving down(most of our travelmates were 8-11 years old).
we were the travelmates Scootch is referencing---I stressed long and hard about this idea of moving my daughter up. Even got her a bracelet to hedge my bets. After the first night, she asked me to return it b/c the kids in the edge would know how young she was LOL. Definitely wouldn't have been happy down in the clubs at that age!
tastefullyjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
kcashner
DIS Veteran

The 30 day thing is a constant--it is always OK. Moving up kids younger than that is subject to CMs whims, the policy they have most recently set, and any concerns about numbers in a given age bracket.

Some policies seem to change almost weekly! No matter what policy DCL sets, it won't work for some families.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: