Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #256
MAJPLO
DIS Veteran

Is the "penalty date" the PIF date or the 14 days before sail date?

Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2011
Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean May 2013
Sapphire Princess California Coastal January 2014
Disney Magic Southern Caribbean September 2014
MAJPLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #257
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJPLO
Is the "penalty date" the PIF date or the 14 days before sail date?
The PIF date is the 'paid in full' date. After that there's a certain amount of time you have before you lose X amount of money if you cancel. At first you just lose the deposit and get the rest back, them it's 50% and so on up until a certain amount of time before the sail date. Most discounted rates come out after the PIF date. All of the details about what penalties are incurred are listed at the bottom of the email they send you after you book and can be found on the website somewhere I think. I've only read it in the document attached to my reservation confirmation.
Register to remove

Old 11-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #258
mareed
DIS Veteran

Disney Magic 7 night out of Galveston on 11/17/12 (Thanksgiving week so was higher than surrounding dates) for upgrade from 11b to 7a was $630.

Right before the cruise, the price difference was $420, but because I'd booked first day and prices had risen since then, for me to upgrade in advance was around $1200. I was optimistically hoping that it would be some discounted amount off of the $420 that was showing right before the cruise online, but I really think the pricing was a bit wacky on this cruise, because for a while the cheapeast cabin available was ocean-view instead of interior.

We did not take the upgrade and were completely happy with our sideways 11b cabins! We were very glad we didn't spend the extra money on the veranda that wouldn't have been used by us much at all. We had 2 adjoining cabins with DH & I together and DS's 16 & 13 in other, and we had plenty of room for us and all our stuff.
DCL Magic: Nov 12, Mar 13 - Wonder: Sept/Nov 13, Feb 14 B2B
RC Cruise: Jun 14

mareed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #259
ladybug23
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mareed View Post
Disney Magic 7 night out of Galveston on 11/17/12 (Thanksgiving week so was higher than surrounding dates) for upgrade from 11b to 7a was $630.

Right before the cruise, the price difference was $420, but because I'd booked first day and prices had risen since then, for me to upgrade in advance was around $1200. I was optimistically hoping that it would be some discounted amount off of the $420 that was showing right before the cruise online, but I really think the pricing was a bit wacky on this cruise, because for a while the cheapeast cabin available was ocean-view instead of interior.

We did not take the upgrade and were completely happy with our sideways 11b cabins! We were very glad we didn't spend the extra money on the veranda that wouldn't have been used by us much at all. We had 2 adjoining cabins with DH & I together and DS's 16 & 13 in other, and we had plenty of room for us and all our stuff.
That is awesome - I am so glad you had a great time. I have been checking the prices for my cruise too, since it is now 7 days away. The price to go from 9B to 7A is $350, the price to 5A is $500. So it sounds like all of this is really irrelevant in guessing what my upgrade would cost at the port. I am thinking that whatever they end up telling me at port will be more than I want to pay. But I will keep in mind for future cruises about whether to book in advance or not. I guess I better go start packing as we flight out in 4.5 days!!!
DCL-4 night Bahama 11/6/2011
DCL-7 night Eastern Carribean 12/1/2012, 11/2/2013

[/url]
ladybug23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #260
Mariellen102
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyHobbit View Post
It usually is a really good deal, but it does depend on how many are available and how booked the ship is. I'm really hoping since we set sail in January some pixie dust will come my way!
Are you sailing on the dream this month? If so, please let me know how your cruise is! and if u upgrade...the pricing?!! We are sailing next Jan on the dream I have a cat 4B booked but would love to upgrade at port to a Cat T!! Thanks and have a great time on your cruise!!
Mariellen102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:03 AM   #261
neenslovesdisney
Mouseketeer

We just upgraded at the port for an 8 night cruise from Galveston sailing 3/29/2013 from an 11B to a 5B for $840. We had booked this cruise with the kids sail free promotion so we felt like this was a great deal! Hope this helps those looking to get an idea of port upgrade pricing.
neenslovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #262
EBW
Earning My Ears

For Alaska last year we went from a 9c to a navigators for $340
EBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #263
calidoc2006
Earning My Ears

We just got really lucky and upgraded from a 5B to a 1 bedroom concierge suite (T) on our 3/23 sailing of the fantasy for $1680 - and it was worth every extra penny! We loved the concierge service and lounge, but the real value to us was the extra space. It was great having 2 beautiful bathrooms with rainforest shower heads. My kids each had their own beds that were separated from ours (which negated all the "mommy he touched my head," etc). Loved having a dining room table so that we could bring food in and eat comfortably in our stateroom. The bed was so comfortable - I think it was even better than my bed at home! Loved the huge soaking jacuzzi tub. We also loved the location - deck 11 - very quiet, rarely saw others besides our steward (Rannie who was the best!!) and we loved that we could just run out and grab food from the fast serve places or cabanas so easily. We felt like this upgrade made the trip extra special and it was our best cruise to date because of this. Probably a once in a lifetime occurrence, but we are so glad that we got to experience. And we only got the suite because the people who were due to have it cancelled the morning of the cruise (we at first felt really badly that our good luck was probably due to something bad for them, but we later found out that they just changed their cruise date because the mother of the family ended up having to work - we felt so much better that we were not benefitting off of their tragedy or something of the sort). It will be hard to go back to a "regular" stateroom....but there is no way we can spend $15K+ to cruise. But if you can get a port upgrade like this, it is worth every penny IMHO.
calidoc2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #264
RweTHEREyet
What makes you think the Tag Fairy doesn't know you?? :D
Will get my Grapefruit Cake at Starring Rolls from now on!
I can't stand not having another trip booked!

We just decided to take a Nov 3-night sailing and have booked an 8A Gty cabin. We have always had a verandah in the past and wanted to see if we might like an ocean-view instead-so a 3-nighter seemed the right time to try it.

And now this thread has me interested to seeing about an upgrade when we do get to the port. Right now the difference in price between our 8A Gty and the Cat V is about $800. If prices don't go up any (cheapest week of the month, maybe it is usually not a very full sailing) what might be a reasonable amount to expect to upgrade to that Cat V?

Going from an 8A to Concierge would mean that the cabin would be smaller and we still wouldn't know if we liked not having a verandah or not, so I am not sure if I should even worry about it or not.

I know myself well enough that if I decided to go for an upgrade, I would be totally stressed out until we got to the port and got to the upgrade desk. Our cabin assignment could be a deciding factor as well. I am hoping for an 8A with the dividing wall, which sleeps 3, and since there are just two of us, I thought maybe assigned one of those.

Sorry for the rambling, sometimes putting it on "paper" makes it a little more clear. Is there anywhere that I can find out just what Concierge benefits there are?
Old 07-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #265
V a n e s s a
Mouseketeer

We have booked a cat 4A family verandah stateroom for 5 people in the fall of 2014.

Should we wish to upgrade now to a Cat V room, the additional cost is around $600.

I am wondering whether as we get closer to the cruise date the cost of upgrading would increase?

What is the likelihood that an upgrade at port from 4A to V would cost less than this?

In other words, I am trying to figure out whether the discount is based on costs at the time we booked; or on the general prices close to the cruise date?

We are first time cruisers and would appreciate any assistance in trying to understand how the upgrades at port are calculated?

TIA!

[IMG][/IMG]
V a n e s s a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #266
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by V a n e s s a View Post
We have booked a cat 4A family verandah stateroom for 5 people in the fall of 2014.

Should we wish to upgrade now to a Cat V room, the additional cost is around $600.

I am wondering whether as we get closer to the cruise date the cost of upgrading would increase?

What is the likelihood that an upgrade at port from 4A to V would cost less than this?

In other words, I am trying to figure out whether the discount is based on costs at the time we booked; or on the general prices close to the cruise date?

We are first time cruisers and would appreciate any assistance in trying to understand how the upgrades at port are calculated?

TIA!
If you upgrade now, it will cost more than if you wait to see if there are any rooms available for upgrade at the port.

But, if you wait to upgrade at the port, while cheaper, there may not be any rooms available.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:29 PM   #267
allison0523
Mouseketeer

Are you talking about a 3 night cruise? What ship? If you wait until you get to the port, you could probably get a T (1 bed suite) for $600 or $700. But, it's a gamble because there may not be any available. Also, isn't the V room the same size as the one you are currently in, just concierge?
If you really want the room, I would say pay for it now so you don't have to worry about it. If you would still be happy in the room you have, then I would wait and see about upgrading at port. Good luck!
allison0523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #268
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post

If you upgrade now, it will cost more than if you wait to see if there are any rooms available for upgrade at the port.

But, if you wait to upgrade at the port, while cheaper, there may not be any rooms available.
The last three cruises we've sailed in, we arrived at 11:00 to the "Captain Mickey is Sailing with a Full Ship" or whatever the sign says exactly to let you know that no upgrades are available.
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:49 PM   #269
V a n e s s a
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by allison0523 View Post
Are you talking about a 3 night cruise? What ship? If you wait until you get to the port, you could probably get a T (1 bed suite) for $600 or $700. But, it's a gamble because there may not be any available. Also, isn't the V room the same size as the one you are currently in, just concierge?
If you really want the room, I would say pay for it now so you don't have to worry about it. If you would still be happy in the room you have, then I would wait and see about upgrading at port. Good luck!
Thank you all for the answers.

It would be for the 4 nights cruise on the Dream. What appeals to us the most is the 120 days booking window (we are first time cruisers) and the early boarding time...

We are aware of the possibility that there might not be any availability for upgrades at port; we are just trying to figure out whether the price difference would be worth waiting to try at the port...

Thank you!

[IMG][/IMG]
V a n e s s a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:19 AM   #270
ktb2002
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by V a n e s s a View Post

Thank you all for the answers.

It would be for the 4 nights cruise on the Dream. What appeals to us the most is the 120 days booking window (we are first time cruisers) and the early boarding time...

We are aware of the possibility that there might not be any availability for upgrades at port; we are just trying to figure out whether the price difference would be worth waiting to try at the port...

Thank you!
On my 4 night Dream cruise in October of last year we went from a 4C to a T for around $700. We used DCL transfers from the airport (back then you checked in at the airport) so we were some of the first in the terminal. At that time they had about 6 available, we did a B2B and on the 3 night there was only 1 T available.

Wonder 12/21/08, Dream 03/27/12, Fantasy 07/14/12, Dream 10/07/12, Dream 10/11/12, Fantasy 05/25/13, Magic 12/22/13, Magic 12/27/13, Magic 12/30/13, Fantasy 05/31/14, Wonder 12/21/14
ktb2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: