Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #46
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohforyou View Post
Why is it sad? Maybe we just live in a culturally diverse area but plenty of people around here don't celebrate Christmas.
Sorry, I think it is sad. You can give all the reasons you want, I think it is sad that places are open on Christmas. According to several polls, at least 90 percent of Americans celebrate Christmas,

Last edited by mhsjax; 11-24-2012 at 04:28 PM.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:23 PM   #47
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgail2 View Post
Not everyone celebrates Christmas you know-I see nothing sad about it. I am glad their are restaurants open Christmas here because I like to have Christmas dinner out!
You call Burger King Christmas dinner?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #48
McKelly
DIS Veteran

We are celebrating with DH"s family on the 23rd. Hot Turkey Sandwiches, tons of salads, appetizers and desserts. We eat all day as people come and go, so I just add different stuff as the day goes on, shrimp, meatballs, hot wings, cheese and sausage, dips, etc. The one thing I always make is that raspberry sherbet and sprite punch. Adults and kids love this and I must make at least four punch bowls full.

Christmas Eve will be leftovers, with Raw Beef - eat this on Xmas Eve since DH and I are the only ones I know that eat it!! Love it, but only eat it at Xmas. We will visit my mom in the nursing home on this day, so no big meal. We will probably hit fast food for lunch on the way - it's an hour away.

Xmas Breakfast - Cherry Cheese Blintzes (from Market Day - hopefully they are good) and we make monkey bread.

Christmas Day Dinner - Tenderloin, fingerling potatoes, smoked cauliflower, green bean casserole (my DD loves this, but strange enough, I only make it during the holidays) homemade garlic bread and candy cane pie!
Old 11-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #49
Kennywife
Sometimes miracles take a little time

I will be having two Christmas dinners. One at my grandma's and one at my house.

At my grandma's:

Ham
mashed potatoes
salad
rolls
pie

At mine:
turkey
ham
mashed potatoes
a veggie
rolls
red velvet cupcakes
Kennywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #50
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKelly View Post
We are celebrating with DH"s family on the 23rd. Hot Turkey Sandwiches, tons of salads, appetizers and desserts. We eat all day as people come and go, so I just add different stuff as the day goes on, shrimp, meatballs, hot wings, cheese and sausage, dips, etc. The one thing I always make is that raspberry sherbet and sprite punch. Adults and kids love this and I must make at least four punch bowls full.

Christmas Eve will be leftovers, with Raw Beef - eat this on Xmas Eve since DH and I are the only ones I know that eat it!! Love it, but only eat it at Xmas. We will visit my mom in the nursing home on this day, so no big meal. We will probably hit fast food for lunch on the way - it's an hour away.

Xmas Breakfast - Cherry Cheese Blintzes (from Market Day - hopefully they are good) and we make monkey bread.

Christmas Day Dinner - Tenderloin, fingerling potatoes, smoked cauliflower, green bean casserole (my DD loves this, but strange enough, I only make it during the holidays) homemade garlic bread and candy cane pie!
Before I looked, I knew you had to be from WI b/c of the raw beef. My college room mate was from just outside Madison, and she told me all about it....said it was huge in her area.

Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #51
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
Well I wouldn't go to buger king for christmas dinner but who am I to judge those who do!
Old 11-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #52
shortbun
Peacenik

Good Lord! I'm not over Thanksgiving yet. Calm down everybody. Take a breath.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #53
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!

Quote:
Not a chance! I guess I better read to see who does. But really aren't there better options? Burger King isn't even open on Christmas Day here.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #54
McKelly
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbun View Post
Good Lord! I'm not over Thanksgiving yet. Calm down everybody. Take a breath.
Yes, but it's only four weeks away. That time flies by this time of year!! With Xmas parties, kid's school concerts, decorating, wrapping, baking, shopping, you got to have a plan!!
Old 11-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #55
minniebride
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sorry, I think it is sad. You can give all the reasons you want, I think it is sad that places are open on Christmas. According to several polls, at least 90 percent of Americans celebrate Christmas,
While that may be true, there are towns within the US that are largely made up of non-Christians (i.e. Jewish population, towns largely populated with Hispanics who celebrate 3 Kings Day instead, etc...). No need to close a fast food place in those towns and they likely have workers who are willing to work on Christmas.
minniebride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:16 PM   #56
minniebride
DIS Veteran

We like to order in sushi or something else from the Japanese restaurant on Christmas Eve. We also usually made snowman shaped sugar cookies to eat while we watch It's a Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th Street.

Christmas morning, we alternate years serving either Pooh's Breakfast Lasagna or Quiche and fresh fruit.

Lunch we usually munch on the caramel popcorn I usually get as a present lol.

Dinner is matzoh ball soup, pot roast, mashed potatoes, green beans, pumpkin pie, ice cream from the handmade place down the street.
minniebride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #57
Poohforyou
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I can tell you for a fact that 90% of the people in my town don't celebrate Christmas. We have a synagogue & a Hindu temple here along with several churches.
Poohforyou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #58
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohforyou View Post
I can tell you for a fact that 90% of the people in my town don't celebrate Christmas. We have a synagogue & a Hindu temple here along with several churches.
All the Burger Kings open?
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #59
Poohforyou
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaR View Post
All the Burger Kings open?
I wouldn't go to burger king on a random Tuesday in July so no way is that gracing our Christmas table. We do have a fabulous Asian fusion restaurant that will be open.
Poohforyou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #60
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgail2 View Post
Well I wouldn't go to buger king for christmas dinner but who am I to judge those who do!
Oh ok, I guess i misread, sorry. Now as I said earlier, I love a good hamburger and I wouldn't even mind one on Christmas day, in fact I usually crave one. And every year, I forget to get burger stuff.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: