Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #151
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
Had to be when I first moved to South Jersey. let's see I was in grad school and started working there as Temporary christmas help so I'm going to say 1989. I would be very happy to hear that they have replaced that management style.
I know many people who worked there on that timeframe and loved it. I see some people who worked with them are still there. Maybe it was just your local store that was so bad?
Old 11-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #152
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreUT View Post
From my perspective, a country with 8% UE probably has lots of people who are not as discriminatory as yourself or your circle of acquaintances.

As far as my previous point: I was referencing the $15 per hour salary wanted for WM workers. If those with advanced degrees (and more) are willing to work for pay not much greater than that in their field of expertise, I believe the $15 per hour for WM is unrealistic, considering the pool of people who have the same skill-set.
Ok, I thought that was what you were stating but wanted to be sure. Your first paragraph, yes we are lucky in this area, most people seem to be ok, for now.

2nd paragraph, I also agree, $15.00 for a worker at WM is very unrealistic.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #153
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladypage View Post
Okay, number two is just ridiculous. Yes, there are people who would rather deal drugs then work at a minimum wage job, but how can you blame Walmart for that?

And maybe your Walmart won't schedule around college classes, but the one around here does. I know a lot of people that work there, and I would say about 30% of the staff consists of college students. Even if they weren't willing to schedule around classes, how is it Walmart's fault? It's also up to the students to figure out their own schedules. Don't put yourself in classes every day of the week, on the hours that you know your employer will need you. I know you can't always choose when your class will be, or you might not get the ideal time slot you wanted, but that's not Walmart's fault.
Ok I agree that the pp you were quoting is kind of crazy, but your post isn't far off. When you work part time, you usually get a schedule from week to week, or even month to month. You can schedule your college classes anyway you want, you are never going to know exactly what you are woking when it comes to retail. And yes, most retail stores will work with students, I know mine did as did all of my friends.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #154
foreUT
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Had to be when I first moved to South Jersey. let's see I was in grad school and started working there as Temporary christmas help so I'm going to say 1989. I would be very happy to hear that they have replaced that management style.
Thanks for sharing. Didn't want to be too nosy!
foreUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #155
ladypage
And that's how the story about me sleeping with the entire Polish national basketball team started

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax

Ok I agree that the pp you were quoting is kind of crazy, but your post isn't far off. When you work part time, you usually get a schedule from week to week, or even month to month. You can schedule your college classes anyway you want, you are never going to know exactly what you are woking when it comes to retail. And yes, most retail stores will work with students, I know mine did as did all of my friends.
You can schedule classes for when you KNOW you won't be working. I work in retail, "part time" at 39.5 hours a week. My store is open from 8 am - 10 pm, so I can schedule classes before or after. Yes, not everyone can do that, and the classes may be limited, but you can have something. Online classes are incredibly popular right now, and it's not just diploma mill online schools that do it. There are plenty or legitimate online and brick and mortar schools that do online classes.

The point is still that it is not an employer's responsibility to work around YOUR (general you) schedule. When you apply for a place like walmart you tell them your availability up front. At that point, it is up to them to hire you with that availability.

Former Epcot CM

PROUD MEMBER OF
GIRAFFE WATCH 2012

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3009176
ladypage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #156
Albort
ODV Crew
The challenge is - who can find me?

Quote:
The point is still that it is not an employer's responsibility to work around YOUR (general you) schedule. When you apply for a place like walmart you tell them your availability up front. At that point, it is up to them to hire you with that availability.
They tell you pretty much up front too. Ive had to decline so many jobs because they tell you at the beginning that you must be available x hour --x hour.
A few i have encountered.
BOA - 7am-7pm
Verizon - 24 hour availability
ATT- 7am-12pm

Disney has worked with my schedule pretty well but a lot of times, the schedules are done by seniority but they do try. So yes, if you want a holiday off, ask for it. u may have a chance!
Old 11-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #157
foreUT
DIS Veteran

Quote:
but don't you see that as a problem. People would rather do just about any thing else than work for a company because of their reputation.

As I said, when I got hired I knew perfectly well what the pay was. that wasn't the issue but if I'm reading you right and I hope I'm misunderstanding, an empolyee can treat you like dirt and be ok simply because there is high unemployment? That because you get a low salary you cannot expect basic respect and treatment.
I am very sorry that your experience was so horrendous; thank you for providing insight from your own work history. Sometimes it takes a mass exodus of unhappy employees for the company to get a clue. I hope that the expense of training new employees, UE benefits that the company would have to protest, and, based on your experience, brutal labor complaints would have forced WM to rethink their management practices.
foreUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #158
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts

I guess from reading all these posts;

1. Anyone who works for Walmart and thinks conditions are bad are just whiney and too lazy/uneducated to get a better job?

2. Walmart is a good and kind company that looks out for its employees and the community it serves??

3. There are no need for unions because they are corrupt and greedy and do nothing for anyone??

Have i got that right???

People need to revisit history and see what happens when business gets so large it influences politics and society. It is not all lollipops and sunshine....
Before that too many to list
!

SOME IMAGINATION, HUH??? - Mickey Mouse
xipotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #159
Rememberingthe70s
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by xipotec

1. Anyone who works for Walmart and thinks conditions are bad are just whiney and too lazy/uneducated to get a better job?

2. Walmart is a good and kind company that looks out for its employees and the community it serves??

3. There are no need for unions because they are corrupt and greedy and do nothing for anyone??

Have i got that right???

People need to revisit history and see what happens when business gets so large it influences politics and society. It is not all lollipops and sunshine....
Bravo!
WDW Commando Club Member #119
36 Years of Vacationing at WDW
Rememberingthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #160
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
Just curious, how is it not an option? Do you not have any other stores? Or is it because of the prices. I know in my area, they aren't cheaper on everything, somethings yes, but certainly not everything. Especially after you factor in the time it takes to get there plus the time it takes to shop there. They are the slowest place on earth, at least mine is.
2 kids in college, so price. We almost save enough on a gallon of milk and a package of Oreos alone to make it worthwhile. But they just opened (a week and a day ago) one of those neighborhood Walmarts, so now there is no distance difference, and we get in and out in the same time as the grocery store. As I posted elsewhere, Walmart has more employees than the regular grocery store, always seems to be at least one worker on every aisle who can help you if you need it.
We do most of our meat and produce shopping still at the regular grocery store. While I have found a few items that were the same price at Walmart as at the grocery store, I have yet to find anything cheaper at the grocery store.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #161
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

OT, but, due to my mom's stroke this year, I have been exposed to a whole new world, that of the Board and Care home for the Elderly.
I do not know exactly what caregivers make, but I suspect it is a lot less than minimum wage. Most of the workers are recent immigrants, and job is 24 hours a day, 6 days a week. They earn a salary, no overtime, no holiday pay,. Of course, compensation also includes room and board. Now, Social security allows just $1,000 a month for board and care, actually $900 once the $100 a month is subtracted that the residents get for incidential expenses. There are no more than 6 residents per facility, so that works out to about $1.25 an hour per resident, or $7.50 per facility an hour that social security to cover all costs, food, electric and water bills and labor. No way the workers can be making minimum wage. Now, private pay facilites charge about $4,000 a month, but I doubt their workers are making mimimum wage.

So, while we worry about Walmart workers make, remember, there are others working in very important jobs, working 24 hours a day, for less.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #162
joviroxx
rectally reporters television produce

Quote:
Originally Posted by xipotec View Post

Have i got that right???

Posts like this are so silly. Hyperbole is useless. This thread has plenty of both sides of the argument.
joviroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #163
joviroxx
rectally reporters television produce

And for the record, I really hate shopping at Walmart. Not for the employees but for the customers. I find the large majority of their employees to be very helpful. I hate dealing with the messy, careless, rude customers that seem to visit my local Super Walmart. BUT, I DO shop there. Grocery shopping takes me to 3 different places all for best prices. There is also the ease of one-stop shopping there when I have to get a variety of things.
joviroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #164
Gumbo4x4

Quote:
You can schedule classes for when you KNOW you won't be working. I work in retail, "part time" at 39.5 hours a week.
That would be considered full time in this state.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:38 PM   #165
Gumbo4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xipotec View Post

Have i got that right???

Recent history has shown unions to be their own worst enemies. The power shift between employee and employer is like a pendulum. At one time, it had swing too far in favor of employer. Unions came about and initially restored the balance. Then things swung too far in the union's direction. This caused economic hardship for companies, and the pendulum began to swing back again. We now find ourselves in an interesting place. On one side are employers who want to return us to 1920s status. On the other side are unions who still think its the 1940s. Both sides are wrong, but the employers hold the power.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: