Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 01:04 AM   #16
ppony
Artist in residence

Think about it. Do the time math. All the stuff you'd have to wait to have printed and done on the computer, is already done.

There are 2 lines, one for online check-in and one for not. Sure, occasionally one might spend more time in the online line for unfortunate reasons, but by far, the time savings are great. Even if I had a lot of "requests" (which I never do) I'd still do it. Chances are (yes, there are always people w/ exceptions, but the odds are with you) It's saved us time every single time. If it didn't save more people time, they sure wouldn't continue it. No one would use it.

In the end, do it or don't. Ignore the math or don't. It's your prerogative.

ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:47 AM   #17
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppony View Post
Think about it. Do the time math. All the stuff you'd have to wait to have printed and done on the computer, is already done.

There are 2 lines, one for online check-in and one for not. Sure, occasionally one might spend more time in the online line for unfortunate reasons, but by far, the time savings are great. Even if I had a lot of "requests" (which I never do) I'd still do it. Chances are (yes, there are always people w/ exceptions, but the odds are with you) It's saved us time every single time. If it didn't save more people time, they sure wouldn't continue it. No one would use it.

In the end, do it or don't. Ignore the math or don't. It's your prerogative.
Sometimes the math doesn't add up. If you may want to change your room location, it won't add up. If for some reason they have to change your room after having already assigning it to you, it won't add up.

I don't use OLCI anymore as I have found was ending up in the least desirable room locations more time than not. I've even been bumped from a paid for upgraded room location when using OLCI. That time we had to wait even longer for our room, as they had to go get a manager to figure out what had happened.

Not a fan.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-24-2012, 06:11 AM   #18
ppony
Artist in residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Sometimes the math doesn't add up. If you may want to change your room location, it won't add up. If for some reason they have to change your room after having already assigning it to you, it won't add up.

I don't use OLCI anymore as I have found was ending up in the least desirable room locations more time than not. I've even been bumped from a paid for upgraded room location when using OLCI. That time we had to wait even longer for our room, as they had to go get a manager to figure out what had happened.

Not a fan.
Yes, I know. Hence why I said there are always exceptions. And people on DIS are very quick to point out every single one. "Sometimes" is the operative word to how often it doesn't work. Most of the time, it does. If you have specifics you just "have" to have, well then... I think room assigners do their best and honestly, too many people have too many requests so they just can't please everyone.

ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #19
maxiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppony View Post
Yes, I know. Hence why I said there are always exceptions. And people on DIS are very quick to point out every single one. "Sometimes" is the operative word to how often it doesn't work. Most of the time, it does. If you have specifics you just "have" to have, well then... I think room assigners do their best and honestly, too many people have too many requests so they just can't please everyone.
Your comment about Do the Math sounded to me as if OLCI is best and quickest for everyone all of the time. As with everything else, there are exceptions.

If you want a certain floor/building/view/area of a resort, OLCI may not be for you. OLCI works best if you have no requests that you really want to have met, and would ask for a room change in order to get.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #20
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post

Not a fan.
I have to respectfully disagree. It sounds like you are more particular about your room and it's location - which makes you a bad fit for OLCI. However, I have been using it since it first became available, and I have never felt like I received an "undesireable" room or location. Since rooms and locations are very subjective when it comes to good and bad, every person's experience will be different. The room I love, you may think is the worst in the resort, and vice versa.

I recommend that if a person has specific requests that will make or break their vacation, then they should not do OLCI. Also, if you know you are going to have several questions to ask regarding the resort, parks, transportation, etc., then you should not do OLCI. If you don't have any special requests or questions, then OLCI does save you time. So far, it has taken me less than a minute from walking in the lobby door to having my packet and heading to my room, and my room has been ready when I arrived.

I am a fan.

As to whether doing OLCI early gives you an edge regarding requests, your room isn't your room until you are in it. Up until they hand you those room keys, "your" room can be given to someone else or taken out of inventory for maintenance. I've done it on the first day, and I've done it just a couple days out, and I didn't notice any appreciable difference in the experience.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:50 AM   #21
bowbat
DIS Veteran

I've had rotten luck the two times I used online check-in, but it was just that: rotten luck.

The first time, we were staying at the Contemporary. Arrived and there was no one in the regular check-in line, but two families ahead of us in the online check-in line. The family being checked in had like 7 people, all of whom seemed to be celebrating something, so the CM spent 15 minutes making pins and congratulating them, and they had approximately 8500 questions. As it turns out, we shouldn't have had to wait in line at all. We had been upgraded to a two bedroom suite on club level and the CM who was in the lobby waiting for us didn't realize we were there in line. Which, obviously, was awesome, but we still left thinking online check-in wasn't great.

Fast forward about a year and I decide to give it another go. That time we were staying at WL, one night only, no parks, no special requests, easy-peasy. Well, we had the delightful luck to check in right as someone in the back was printing out (no exaggeration) HUNDREDS of room keys. Not sure why or for whom, but she was using the key-printer the online check-in desk used. I stood there for easily 20 minutes while the CM waited to be able to print out my room keys.

Despite my crappy luck with it, I just did it again for our trip tomorrow (). Third time's the charm, right? And, really, I could have crappy luck doing regular check-in, too.
Wilderness Lodge – 10/2011, 11/2012, 11/2013
Boardwalk Inn – 11/2011, 3/2014
Grand Floridian – 2/2012
Yacht Club – 6/2013
bowbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #22
maxiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla4fun View Post
I have to respectfully disagree. It sounds like you are more particular about your room and it's location - which makes you a bad fit for OLCI.

Actually, I'm not that particular about room location. Twice though I have ended up as far out as that certain resort can possibly place you. When not doing EBCI I have ended up with rooms closer to the main buildings. Which makes me think that when doing EBCI they give you whatever room is handy, and don't really look at requests.

Another time using EBCI I was downgraded from a preferred location and stuck out back. Before that, I would have thought that booking a certain room type, and doing EBCI would guarantee that you receive that room type. I mean, you are checking in 10 days out. They know you are coming, right? I hadn't made any requests, didn't specify a building or a floor. I just paid for a preferred room. And didn't get it.

Even so, I don't think we are disagreeing. If you (in general) want something specific in your room, and not getting it would cause you to ask for a room change, then EBCI is not for you. If you are happy with wherever you are placed, then you are a better fit for EBCI. But doing EBCI does not always guarantee a faster check in experience than you would have using standard check in.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:34 PM   #23
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

I've been to Disney resorts 3 times.
Each time I've done on line check in.
My requests after never been met.
But the cm 's have always been great in locating a room that sort of fits my request.

So online check in for us has actually taken longer.
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #24
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer dave View Post
I believe room location requests are first come first served, so by checking in on line you have a better chance at getting your room request.
This isn't true, at least not according to the POR CM I chatted with. I did online check-in for our last stay at POR and we ended up getting the exact opposite of our requests. The CM brought a manager over and we stood there for 20 minutes while they switched around some things to meet our requests. Had we done regular check-in, it would have taken less time. While we were waiting for the manager to be done, the CM explained that for online check-in, their first goal is to get people into rooms that will be ready based on their arrival time (this is why they put it in the online check-in form) and they don't take requests much into consideration since they have to consider housekeeping schedules and arrival times. Depending on the amount of people arriving, they may look at requests and accommodate them when/where they are able but I wouldn't count on that. We've found it easier to get our requests when doing regular check-in since they have less to consider when assigning rooms.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: