Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #16
rex008
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nottingham, UK
Posts: 150

I'd second all the votes for Nemo. All my family really enjoyed it.

Kali is fun, but you are pretty much guaranteed to get absolutely drenched. That may be a consideration.

Oh, and the "Flying Monkeys" are Siamangs, which are apes, not monkeys (no tails). And yes, they can be fun to watch if they're out and about.

If you had to choose one of the trails, I'd do the Maharaja over the Pangani - the tigers were impressive and quite active when we went.
__________________
rex008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #17
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!
 
JennaDeeDooDah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,374

Thank you for all of your advice and suggestions. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to fit everything in as best as possible. We have two different mornings at AK (have to park hop for the afternoon/evening due to dining reservation). The first morning will be Monday, December 10. AK has morning EMH on this day. The second morning will be Friday, December 14. We have 8:00 reservations at Tusker House this morning, so I'm assuming we will be done for rope drop at 9:00. Never done Tusker House before, though, so please tell me if I am wrong.

Here's what I'm thinking. Completely open to anyone telling me that I have a horrible plan and how to fix it.

Monday, December 10
Arrive before RD
Send everyone except me and grandfather to Kilimanjaro Safari (he has a bad back that could get aggravated by the bumps). Grandfather and I go get FP for everyone except DD2 and grandparents for Expedition Everest. Do they still do Fast Passes during EMH? Meet up at Maharajah Jungle Trek. Watch Flights of Wonder. Do EE whenever return time allows. Look for DiVine. Everyone to Discovery Island for It's Tough to be a Bug except for me and DD2. We go get FP for Dinosaur. Enjoy Tree of Life until everyone gets done. Leave park for midday nap and to go to the other park.

Thursday, December 14
In Africa for Tusker House Reservation. Go do Killimanjaro Safari and get FP to do a second time later in the day (any ideas with to do with grandfather during this time?). Pangini Forest Exploration Trail. Head to Dinoland USA for Primeval Whirl, Finding Nemo the Musical, and Dinosaur. Down to Camp Minnie-Mickey to check out the Christmas trees and watch Festival of the Lion King. Leave park for midday nap and to go to the other park.


Does that look doable for only a half day each day? Too aggressive? Time to do everything? And where are these flying Apes?
__________________

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #18
cannmom
Mouseketeer
 
cannmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SW VA
Posts: 107

Another vote for Flights of Wonder! We also skipped it many times and it is one of our favorites now. It's something the whole family should like. Definitely hit the boneyard for the little one.
__________________
Always thinking about the next trip!!!

POFQ 9/2008, POFQ 12/2009, BC 11/2010, POR 1/2012
cannmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #19
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!
 
Robo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: In the Magic Mirror, I'm closer than I appear.
Posts: 76,649

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
Thank you for all of your advice and suggestions. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to fit everything in as best as possible. We have two different mornings at AK (have to park hop for the afternoon/evening due to dining reservation).

The first morning will be Monday, December 10. AK has morning EMH on this day.

The second morning will be Friday, December 14.
We have 8:00 reservations at Tusker House this morning, so

1-I'm assuming we will be done for rope drop at 9:00. Never done Tusker House before, though, so please tell me if I am wrong.

Here's what I'm thinking. Completely open to anyone telling me that I have a horrible plan and how to fix it.

Monday, December 10
Arrive before RD
Send everyone except me and grandfather to Kilimanjaro Safari (he has a bad back that could get aggravated by the bumps).

2- Grandfather and I go get FP for everyone except DD2 and grandparents for Expedition Everest.

3- Do they still do Fast Passes during EMH?

4- Meet up at Maharajah Jungle Trek.

5- Watch Flights of Wonder.

6- Do EE whenever return time allows. Look for DiVine.

7- Everyone to Discovery Island for It's Tough to be a Bug except for me and DD2.

8- We go get FP for Dinosaur.

9- Enjoy Tree of Life until everyone gets done. Leave park for midday nap and to go to the other park.

Thursday, December 14

10- In Africa for Tusker House Reservation.

11- Go do Killimanjaro Safari and get FP to do a second time later in the day

12- (any ideas with to do with grandfather during this time?).
Pangini Forest Exploration Trail.

13- Head to Dinoland USA for Primeval Whirl, Finding Nemo the Musical, and Dinosaur.

14- Down to Camp Minnie-Mickey to check out the Christmas trees and watch Festival of the Lion King. Leave park for midday nap and to go to the other park.


15- Does that look doable for only a half day each day? Too aggressive? Time to do everything?

16- And where are these flying Apes?


1- Likely, or nearly so.
2- OK. Be sure that you have everyone's park tickets with you.
3- Yes.
4- Sounds good.
5 & 6- Your FP Return for EE will likely be about 45-75 minutes after
you picked up the FP's, so be careful about Flights of Wonder timing.
7- Yup.
8- Remember that Dino is very rough, loud and scary.
9- Sounds good.
10- Tusker House is just a few steps from the Safari entrance.
11- Yup.
12- Send him to scout Pangini Forest Exploration Trail.
(Make sure he has a cell phone, and so do you.)
13- Primeval Whirl is another ROUGH ride.
14- Winner!
15- Have fun!
16- In "Asia."

Last edited by Robo; 11-08-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #20
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!
 
JennaDeeDooDah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,374

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
1- Likely, or nearly so.
2- OK. Be sure that you have everyone's park tickets with you.
3- Yes.
4- Sounds good.
5 & 6- Your FP Return for EE will likely be about 45-75 minutes after
you picked up the FP's, so be careful about Flights of Wonder timing.
7- Yup.
8- Remember that Dino is very rough, loud and scary.
9- Sounds good.
10- Tusker House is just a few steps from the Safari entrance.
11- Yup.
12- Send him to scout Pangini Forest Exploration Trail.
(Make sure he has a cell phone, and so do you.)
13- Primeval Whirl is another ROUGH ride.
14- Winner!
15- Have fun!
16- In "Asia."
Thanks, Robo!
__________________

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #21
msp2mco
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 471

Since it sounds like you will be splitting up occasionally on this trip, I wouldn't rule out going to Rafiki's Planet Watch. My DS enjoyed the animals there, and it was a good break from the crowds. My DS also loved the Boneyard and the play structure that connected to it. Just a word of caution: it is easy to lose your child in the play structure, so be alert.

Your father may enjoy the queues for EE or the Safari even if he doesn't want to ride the ride.

We are also Flights of Wonder fans.
msp2mco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #22
stindall
Congress Tart
 
stindall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,328

Honestly everything except Dinosaur is a must-do for me at AK. It's such a beautiful park and it's a shame most people over look it! I would check out a youtube on-ride video of Dinosaur and see if anyone in your party would like it. I thought it was terrifying and uncomfortable and I'll never get back on. Animal Kingdom also has some great food! Yak&Yeti quick service, Pizzfari and Flame Tree BBQ are all delicious! Make sure you really look at a lot of the theming, it's a beautifully detailed park!
__________________

Sept 2008 Honeymoon @ Pop,Dec. 2009 surprise for dad (aka worst trip ever) @ Pop, Sept. 2013 First solo trip @ Pop, Sept. 2014 brother/sister trip @ pop! Read our PTR HERE
stindall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:11 PM   #23
CraftyMommy
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 401

I was rather bah humbug about AK and usually skipped it or spent very little time there. Then my son was born. When he was 6 he went on his first trip that he was old enough to remember things.

AK ended up being his favorite park. We ended up canceling plans to go back to MK and Epcot toward the end of the trip so we could spend more time at AK. I've grown to really appreciate AK after seeing the park through my son's eyes. He absolutely loved the dig site in Dinoland. Dinosaur was one of his favorite rides. He enjoyed riding the train and going to the petting zoo, but we all were bored with the inside conservation area. The jungle trek and expedition trail were blah, I'd skip it. My son loved Circle of Life and Nemo. We saw those shows over and over. And he said the Safari was one of his favorite rides also. He would ask to sit near the driver and would say some of the script along with our safari driver. We loved It's Tough To Be A Bug.

There is a place behind the Tree of Life, across the river from the tree. If you are facing the back of the tree there is a walkway between two lands. I don't have a map in front of me, so I'm not sure what the lands are called. But there is an area set up with drums. We took a long break there and relaxed while he played drums. A couple CM's walked up, stopped, and enjoyed the "concert" while he played the drums. He got a huge round of applause from the CM's when he was finished banging on the drums. It was a very magical moment.

Just leave yourself open to enjoying the park. You may rediscover it and find that you really enjoy several attractions.
CraftyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #24
Lumiere Lover
You can sleep after we leave WDW..
 
Lumiere Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,354

I cannot stress enough that you will want to do Kali as late in the day as possible. If you go back to your resort for an afternoon nap/rest, do Kali right before you go back. You will be completely drenched!!

Remember, Animal Kingdom is best seen on a slow stroll. It isn't a typical wait in line and do the rides type of park. You never know when you are going to miss spotting that special animal while going from ride to ride.
__________________

June 2014-1st Disneyland trip, December 2012 POFQ-Excited we were there 12-12-12! September 2010 POFQ, Dec 2008 PC, Wonder, CBR, Aug 2008 Swan, Dec 2006 POR, Aug 2005 Gaylord Palms, Feb 2005 CBR, FEB 2002 AS Movies, Apr 1989 Offsite, Apr 1976 Offsite


Lumiere Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #25
TwoCortWort
A Buckeye Disney Princess
 
TwoCortWort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seven Lakes, NC
Posts: 496

I am amazed at how many people dislike AK. I personally love this park and what it offers. I would say do it for sure. My niece experienced this as her first Disney park and its her favorite and it was everyone in my party's first time there and we made a full day of it. I love the safari ride and the rides they have there. There's so much to do and see just walking around, and maybe it's because I love just walking around and looking at things (I still see something new each time I go) around the park. We personally can make a full day there, but we have left earlier and gone over to DTD to finish off our day.

So in short yes I say do it.
__________________
~*Cortney*~
Been to the world and been to the land.



TwoCortWort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:41 AM   #26
>Ash<
Sorcerer Of The Magic Kingdom
 
>Ash<'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 736

AK Plan

Hi,

animal kingdom is one of my fave parks i love going so much to see and do but people overlook the beauty and animals within this park and just focus on the rides.

so here are some of my opinions for your upcoming trip.

well for your family I would look at reviews for tough to be a bug and for dinosaur. the 2 year old may find the tough to be a bug a little intimidating especially with Hopper interupting the show and the spiders coming from the roof it makes even some adults cower in their seats. it is fun but i have heard alot of kids scared.

same with Dinosaur, the tag line for the ride is "its fast, a blast and from the past" or somthing to that effect. basically you board a dark ride style vehicle which has enhanced movment to create the feel of very offroad terrain. the vehicle does throw you about and with the added noise and lighting effects with the giant animatronic dinos it does become quite a scary attraction for small children,

i would maybe advise riding alone first before you send your elderly family and child on the ride just to make sure it is somthing you want to do. i know my grandads heart would suffer on that ride lol

anyways that out the way lets get on witha ll the fun your gonna have at Animal Kingdom...

over in Camp Mickey Minnie you have the lion king show, a fantastic festival feel with some light audience participation a real fun show, the show runs at half past every hour, i always heard their towards the end of the day, make sure you arrive on the hour and spend a bit of time before the show to see mickey and minnie before heading in to the show.

first thing to do at Animal kingdom if you are heading their early is killimunjaro safaris the animals seem more awake if you go first thing , they have just been fed and are wide awake and moving around to get the best pictures and get the most of your experience.

on my last trip it was quite cool and the lions were moving around alot, with the cooler air the animals wander more often.

after kilimunjaro i always chow down on a fruit pack from the african style market laid out. it contains strawberries, crackers and cheese and grapes. nice and refreshing.

i then head over to the treks, the treks arent that long in my opinion, me and my wife tend to get through them quite quickly, it depends how long you want to spend in the area.

in the asian trek you have tigers and the lovely bird house encllosure to see. in africa you have the meerkats, african cattle and the Gorilla enclosures.

near the expedition everest you have the Nemo Musical, a really fun musical version of the finding nemo story, complete with puppets and songs.
im sure heading out of the theatre you will be singing along with Crush and the gang.

Kali River Rapids, dont forget to store your eletronics in the lockers provided you will get wet, people from the bridges above can also shoot you with water jets now too. i would leave this ride as either the last ride of the day or the ride that you go on to cool down during the heat of the day. ive seen people wearing ponchos and they still get wet you cant escape that water lol
__________________
>Ash<
https://www.facebook.com/LivingTheMagic
Like my Disney Facebook Page

>Ash< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #27
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!
 
JennaDeeDooDah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,374

Wow! Yall are so great! I'm really hoping that this is the trip that helps me get the magic behind Animal Kingdom. Love the advice and tips. Thank you very much.
__________________

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:45 PM   #28
ZoZo
DIS Veteran
 
ZoZo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Nymph View Post
Our two "must do's" are the Safari and the Festival of the Lion King.

I have never been able to talk DH into going to Flights of Wonder. What makes it a "must-do"?
They do a great job with this show. It's both entertaining and educational. Most of the birds are trained to go on and off stage by themselves; they're very well-trained. (It's very cool when they fly over your head!) The show has a very cute theme, too. I highly recommend it!
__________________
(Teddy, Callie, and Zoe - my "furry kids")
ZoZo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:49 AM   #29
Minerva Mouse
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
I no longer have eyebrows. I have bushes!
 
Minerva Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,361

Are you dead set on mornings at AK? I love AK in the afternoon, most people don't spend a full day at AK, and by mid to late afternoon the park is sometimes a ghost town. If you're going to see the animals, go in the morning. If you're going to ride rides, go late afternoon.
Minerva Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:50 AM   #30
paulakimtrac
Disney Global Fun
 
paulakimtrac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: CA, FL, MX, Japan and Korea
Posts: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by >Ash< View Post
Hi,

animal kingdom is one of my fave parks i love going so much to see and do but people overlook the beauty and animals within this park and just focus on the rides.

so here are some of my opinions for your upcoming trip.

well for your family I would look at reviews for tough to be a bug and for dinosaur. the 2 year old may find the tough to be a bug a little intimidating especially with Hopper interupting the show and the spiders coming from the roof it makes even some adults cower in their seats. it is fun but i have heard alot of kids scared.

same with Dinosaur, the tag line for the ride is "its fast, a blast and from the past" or somthing to that effect. basically you board a dark ride style vehicle which has enhanced movment to create the feel of very offroad terrain. the vehicle does throw you about and with the added noise and lighting effects with the giant animatronic dinos it does become quite a scary attraction for small children,

i would maybe advise riding alone first before you send your elderly family and child on the ride just to make sure it is somthing you want to do. i know my grandads heart would suffer on that ride lol

anyways that out the way lets get on witha ll the fun your gonna have at Animal Kingdom...

over in Camp Mickey Minnie you have the lion king show, a fantastic festival feel with some light audience participation a real fun show, the show runs at half past every hour, i always heard their towards the end of the day, make sure you arrive on the hour and spend a bit of time before the show to see mickey and minnie before heading in to the show.

first thing to do at Animal kingdom if you are heading their early is killimunjaro safaris the animals seem more awake if you go first thing , they have just been fed and are wide awake and moving around to get the best pictures and get the most of your experience.

on my last trip it was quite cool and the lions were moving around alot, with the cooler air the animals wander more often.

after kilimunjaro i always chow down on a fruit pack from the african style market laid out. it contains strawberries, crackers and cheese and grapes. nice and refreshing.

i then head over to the treks, the treks arent that long in my opinion, me and my wife tend to get through them quite quickly, it depends how long you want to spend in the area.

in the asian trek you have tigers and the lovely bird house encllosure to see. in africa you have the meerkats, african cattle and the Gorilla enclosures.

near the expedition everest you have the Nemo Musical, a really fun musical version of the finding nemo story, complete with puppets and songs.
im sure heading out of the theatre you will be singing along with Crush and the gang.

Kali River Rapids, dont forget to store your eletronics in the lockers provided you will get wet, people from the bridges above can also shoot you with water jets now too. i would leave this ride as either the last ride of the day or the ride that you go on to cool down during the heat of the day. ive seen people wearing ponchos and they still get wet you cant escape that water lol
How about Affection Section area for toddlers??? Do you like it?
__________________
Life Is What You Make Of It!
Have Fun!!
@paulakim1
paulakimtrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.