Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
sjbond
Mouseketeer

Christmas evening extra magic hours crowd levels

We will be at WDW next Christmas (December 21st -28th, 2013). We have always taken advantage of the morning extra magic hours to beat the crowds. They have definitely helped us during the busy times. What kind of effect do the evening extra magic hours (12:00 a.m-3:00 a.m) have on crowd levels? I would think being that late, it would eliminate all people with young kids. Is it significant enough to give a try? Obviously staying up past 3:00 a.m. would eliminate any chance of hitting an extra magic morning the next day. Maybe a combination of the two during our trip would be worth a try. We know that we can't do everything during this crazy busy time, but we are looking for the best approach.

sjbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:02 AM   #2
vatali
Mouseketeer

So what seems contrary to every person on this board we never do rope drop, and we go the week before Xmas to Xmas day. We ALWAYS take advantage of EMH , or just really late nights in general. The kids love it and it is a extra special treat for them to stay up later than normal. Up until last year they never wanted to ride the big rides, so teh kiddie rides were virtually deserted after the parade. IASM was basically walk on, same with Poo. Snow White had a line, but it was small. Last year my oldest got brave enough to do bigger rides, but we still saw teh same effect. After the parade everyone who wants to do RD is gone, so it empties out. By midnight most every ride is walk on. By 2 you and the other few straglers hanging on are the only ones there.

Same goes for the other parks. 1AM in epcot is a ghost town. There isnt anythign you cant just walk on.

I'm all for sleeping late in the morning, moseying out around 10, dealing with the crowds for a little bit, then coming back and going swimming after lunch, a quick nap, then back at 6 until 1-3 AM.

May 04 - Off-site, Dec 06 - POR, Dec 07 - POFQ, Dec 09 - POR, Dec 11 - POFQ, Dec 12 - Contemporary, April 14 - DLR
vatali is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-24-2012, 12:49 AM   #3
MulanMom
DIS Veteran

sssshhhhhh!!!!! Don't tell anyone about going to late night EMH and skipping rope drop!!!!

We did the sleep in, hang at the resort through midafternoon, go to the parks late afternoon and do late night EMH one summer trip and everyone in our family loved it. We don't have to do each and every attraction. We loved touring the parks at night when it was cooler and emptier. Keeping fingers crossed that there aren't as many night owls for Xmas week!!!!
MulanMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:57 AM   #4
jdubs808
Mouseketeer

We did the lat night MK EMH and had a blast! We were able to stay on our log in Splash Mountain and ride 2X. I've always wanted to ride a ride 2X and not need to get off the ride. It was a dream come true!
3/2011 Wonder/Disneyland
6/2009 Disneyland
6/2005 Disneyland
8/2004 Disneyland
1/1984 Disneyland
5/1976 Disney World
jdubs808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #5
MulanMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubs808 View Post
We did the lat night MK EMH and had a blast! We were able to stay on our log in Splash Mountain and ride 2X. I've always wanted to ride a ride 2X and not need to get off the ride. It was a dream come true!
Definitely part of the fun of closing a park at night. We once did Cali River Rapids multiple times! A lot of it had to do with it being someone's bday and having great interaction with the cast members. It was soo much fun and a memory which will not be forgotten!
MulanMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #6
JD3ofthem
Mouseketeer

I like the idea of going to the parks later and staying for the EMH cause we are late night people. We are going to be at the parks for New Years. I've heard the parks get to capacity and they close it to entries. When that happens do they open it up later when people start leaving? I would be afraid I couldn't get in the parks later in the day.

Many Happy Memories and Counting
JD3ofthem is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: