Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-24-2012, 12:44 AM   #10
amg35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx Fan View Post
I worked in a movie theatre from 1981-1989. During that time we were 365 days per year. The concession made for holidays was the weekend midnight shows were cancelled when Christmas Eve fell on a Friday or Saturday.

During those years I worked every Christmas Day and most of the other major holidays. And this was all for minimum wage of $3.35 per hour. I kept the job because it worked with my college schedule. After college I only worked a day or 2 a week (and many holidays) to keep my free movie passes!

It wasn't a biggie being open on the less major holidays....but I still think it was/is ridiculous to be open on the major ones. It's just taking advantage of the cheap labor. You can bet, just like in retail, the ones making these decisions are not working those days. I will not shop on major holidays, or go the the movies, or do any business that is not vitally important. Things like a medical emergency.

BIL used to work at BlockBuster Video....same thing....365 days per year, pretty much all day. REally? People can't rent a movie the day before.

And remember it's not just the employees affected on these days, but whole families. Everyone planning holidays around the worker....and often around a teenager making peanuts. Crazy.
Obviously... you support the Blue Collar Man!
amg35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: