Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #16
CanuckTraveller
Mouseketeer

We live near Ottawa, and I bought an iPad on sale on BF last year from Future Shop in Brockville, ON, which is right on the St Lawrence River. On a clear day you can see NY state across the river . This year I'm looking for a DSi, hopefully to keep the kids occupied while we drive to Disney in March
African safari, July, 2016

Past:
DCL Dream/ WDW, March, 2013
NCL Jewel, New Year's Eve, 2012
NCL Star, New Year's, 2012
NCL Sun, New Year's, 2011
Land trips to all Canadian provinces, most of the eastern US, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Cuba, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Egypt, Columbia, Puerto Rico and a few others I can't remember as a child!
CanuckTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #17
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckTraveller View Post
We live near Ottawa, and I bought an iPad on sale on BF last year from Future Shop in Brockville, ON, which is right on the St Lawrence River. On a clear day you can see NY state across the river . This year I'm looking for a DSi, hopefully to keep the kids occupied while we drive to Disney in March
Apple sites worldwide have had Black Friday deals in the past if anyone's looking for iPods or iPads etc.

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #18
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Bought a new stove today - GE Profile (slide in, convection). Bought from a local appliance shoppe that has been in business for 30 years, great prices, service and quality.

They started Black Friday deals today, so based on the cost of my stove at Home Depot and several other appliance stores in my city, we saved $700.00 plus tax!

We got our stove for $1799 plus tax, yet the other stores were selling for $2500 plus tax!

Black Friday deals are big in my area anyway, so this was a great surprise today when I called and they told me that I could get the Black Friday price early!

Tiger
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #19
bankr63
DIS Veteran

Costco for sure

If you try to pull up the current specials on the Costco.ca site, you get a cryptic "Be Entertained, Coming Soon, Available November 22nd". Sounds a lot like a lead in to black Friday to me. Was looking for a deal on a laptop - might wait until next Thursday to find out...

It's kind of fun to do the impossible. - Walt Disney

Last trip to WDW and US, March 8-17, 2013
Next trip planned for March 13-22 2015 - driving 1,500 miles on Friday the 13th

bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #20
greenclan67
Callie35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
If you try to pull up the current specials on the Costco.ca site, you get a cryptic "Be Entertained, Coming Soon, Available November 22nd". Sounds a lot like a lead in to black Friday to me. Was looking for a deal on a laptop - might wait until next Thursday to find out...
I agree, I am looking for Samsung Galaxies for my kids, so I may wait to see if there are any good deals!

ME DH DD (12): DD We love good times!
2012 Cypress Pointe Grande Villas 13 days
2011 Cypress Pointe Grande Villas 12 days
2010 Cypress Pointe Resort 12 days
2009 Bonnett Creek 8 days
2008 Solano Resort 8 days
greenclan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #21
candielips
DIS Veteran

Walmart did black Friday sales last year. Not sure if they are doing them again. But I can find out and let y'all know.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #22
Ken_Breadbox
Mouseketeer

From a retailing perspective, Black Friday makes no sense whatsoever. Sure, let's have a GIANT SALE right at the beginning of the holiday shopping season. And let's make it so good that we lose money, lots and lots of money, on over ninety percent of the items we sell on that one day. For the next six weeks, nobody needs to shop because they've done it all already.
Whereas in Canada, the holiday sale is AFTER Christmas, to clear out inventory that didn't sell. Makes a hell of a lot more sense to me.
Ken_Breadbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:24 PM   #23
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_Breadbox View Post
From a retailing perspective, Black Friday makes no sense whatsoever. Sure, let's have a GIANT SALE right at the beginning of the holiday shopping season. And let's make it so good that we lose money, lots and lots of money, on over ninety percent of the items we sell on that one day. For the next six weeks, nobody needs to shop because they've done it all already.
Whereas in Canada, the holiday sale is AFTER Christmas, to clear out inventory that didn't sell. Makes a hell of a lot more sense to me.

Actually retailers go into the black, hence the term Black Friday, so they don't lose money on most items. Remember, it's the USA, and they are the leaders in mass production of cheap quality garbage that turns a profit.

Black Friday is a lot of hype, as there are many deals available weeks before Back Friday or after, that are in fact better than the actual Black Friday shopping weekend.

Black Friday is also about impulse purchases, so retailers rely on people to purchase crap they don't need, and they make money that way too.

Remember, the US is all about retail competition...330 million potential customers, whereas we have 33 million, so they believe they have to lure in shoppers before the holiday season begins, whereas here in Canada, we buy regardless, and so our retailers really don't offer deep discounts until after holidays, as they are clearing out for next season to begin.

Even though an iPad may be discounted on Black Friday, Apple is still making money, so there are many items, although offered at a discount, retailers are still making profits due to volume, as well as item cost. Sure there is a tighter margin on electronics, but again, some of those are used as a loss leaders as retailers are relying on customers purchasing lots of other stuff while in their stores.

The whole hype behind Black Friday and Boxing Day is really silly to me in terms of the frenzied and sometimes violent crowds, people shopping in the middle of the night and people fighting over products. But if one can secure a good deal without having to set foot into that environment (like I did on my new stove yesterday), then it's good for both customers and retailers. If it weren't, then Black Friday would cease to exist.

Tiger
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #24
dennise
DIS Veteran

I wonder if Hollister or Abercrombie offer any BF sales for Canadians? They have 20% off right now.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:52 AM   #25
Susan2771
Mouseketeer

Do the Disney Stores in Canada usually have a sale on that Friday or any time between now and Christmas?

Sept 2008 - POFQ
June 2009 - CBR
June 2010 -Coronado Springs
October 2011 - POR
JULY 2012 - AKL
AUGUST 2013 - AULANI
JUNE 2014 - CBR
JULY 2014 - TO THE DARK SIDE WE GO! -ROYAL PACFIC
June 2015- BACK TO THE DARK SIDE AND CABANA BAY. THEN A CRUISIN WE GO!
Susan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #26
5Dreamers
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan2771 View Post
Do the Disney Stores in Canada usually have a sale on that Friday or any time between now and Christmas?
I was at the Disney store in the Upper Canada Mall last week and the CM told me they are opening at 7am because something special is happening and that there will be sales.

2014 - DCL - Disney Magic and MVMCP
2013 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside and MNSSHP
2012 - DCL - Disney Fantasy
2010 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside
5Dreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #27
candielips
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Dreamers

I was at the Disney store in the Upper Canada Mall last week and the CM told me they are opening at 7am because something special is happening and that there will be sales.
I heard this too. But I wonder if I should even think about going? Especially after the friends and family sale. How are they going to beat that one?
Old 11-19-2012, 11:20 PM   #28
pkitty
Yo Ho Yo Ho a pirates life for me

Was at the Disney Store in Barrie today picking up Brave pre-order and was told 20% off the store plus additional sales. Hope that helps
pkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #29
okw2012
Mouseketeer

Bought two carry-on suitcases 75% off from the HBC online store. These items were very much needed for our upcoming Xmas WDW trip. Got free shipping plus a 25$ gift card! Learned about BF only last year and I live an hour from the border...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: