Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #16
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

You're not that crazy.

We too, often take vacations where we stay at a different hotel nearly every night.

Along those lines, earlier this year, I seriously entertained the thought of doing an 8 way split stay at all 8 deluxe resorts over 8 nights. Having never previously stayed deluxe, I thought it would be cool to check out (and compare) all of the deuxe resorts on the same trip. In addition, we like to eat signature for dinner and I was intrigued with the idea of eating in a different signature restuarant in a different resort every night without having to travel anywhere after dinner (as we rely on Disney transportation).

Ultimately, however, I decided that a two way split over 8 nights at Poly & BC might just be a little less hectic (while providing nearly as good of a restaurant proximity advantage).
Old 11-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #17
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

It sounds like you know exactly what you're getting into and are excited about the adventure - I get it! We were going to do a 6-night/6-resort split in January, but decided against it because we wanted more Poly time, stayed at one of our bucket list resorts by booking an extra trip for MNSSHP in October, and then just decided to stick with two resorts for the week. But we're all about moving around. In February of this year: 2 nights San Francisco, 1 night Monterey, 1 night Santa Barbara, 3 nights Newport. In March of next year: 1 night Indianapolis, 2 nights Asheville, NC, 1 night Savannah, 2 nights Vero Beach, 3 nights Ft. Myers Beach, 2 nights Atlanta. I have a very active husband and three boys, and everyone loves this.

When we split between two resorts, we often take a cab with our luggage first thing in the morning and get a fresh start from our new resort. Like you said, at least we know swimsuits, etc. are accessible. If I were doing a 4-split, I'd let Bell Services handle at least some of transfers. My husband insisted on that when we were planning the 6-night/6-resort trip! If you need swimsuits in the afternoon, you could throw them in a park bag (that's what we'll do for our upcoming trip.)

As for luggage, I've considered one bag for everyone per night, but I'd rather have the boys (ages 5, 12 and 13) have their own stuff all in one place. That means we drag five bags in and out of each room, but you'll be doing that anyway and like our older boys, it sounds like your kids can "man" their own bags. For splits, I always line up the bags in the closet and everyone operates out of their own bag. At check-out, I just zip them up and go. Although I like the idea of a central bag for toiletries - that would make life easier and I might do that!

No idea on the whole dining plan stuff - we have APs, book room-only and use TIW instead of dining plan.

Anyway, sounds like fun - have a great time!
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AOA/AKL/GF/Poly)
March/April 2015: WL/CR
pixarmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-21-2012, 10:55 AM   #18
jennybdis
Mouseketeer

Quick question for those of you who suggested we stay at the airport and still use ME...

If I stay at the Hyatt, where would I go to get the bus? They wouldn't come and pick me up at the Hyatt, right? Or drop me off there? I know the hotel's in (?) the airport; is it far to get from there to the bus area? Can you essentially board any ME bus as long as you have a valid reservation? Last time we flew, we rented a car, so I wasn't sure how ME all worked. Thanks!
jennybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #19
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennybdis View Post
Ah, where's your sense of adventure?! LOL.

We're really excited about the opportunity to be all of these different places. Since we're relative Disney newbies (this is our third trip--first one was off property, second one was at the Yacht Club), we are super excited about the prospect of seeing if a moderate is nicer than we think; if the Beach Club is just as nice as Yacht Club; and if the clown pool at Boardwalk isn't as creepy as it looks and the hallways and bus service isn't as awful as everyone complains about. We were thinking seriously about purchasing a resale DVC contract this year, and since we couldn't decide between Boardwalk and Beach, it's also a kind of informational-gathering trip as I didn't want to plunk down the cash on the contract without staying at either place first.

This past summer, we drove to Orlando, and while we were on vacation for a few extra days, we did just as many hotels: One night in Savannah, two nights in Orlando at an off-property resort (so we could do Universal), a week at the Yacht Club, and then a night in Hilton Head on the way home. This time, I'm *only* bringing clothes and no food or drinks, so I think our traveling and packing/unpacking will be hugely simplified. Plus, I tried to pick hotels that were all relatively close to each other, so they're fairly quick transfers.

Or maybe I'll be sneaking into Epcot each day for extra drinks. (Which really isn't that bad of plan either, is it?)
Then maybe you should consider staying in the BCV & BWV to get a feel for them. Staying in a standard room will be different then staying in DVC

I think you'll enjoy POR, if you have any time there to explore. It's our fav moderate.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #20
dgagnon519
DVC member AKL since 2008

We purchased DVC in 2009 and have done a split stay everytime. Our last trip we did 3 nights at SSR, 2 night at BWV, 1 night at BLT and 3 nights at AKL. I think that is how it went but not in that order. If you pack right it won't make a difference. I will tell you we were not impressed with BWV, my kids did not like it and it is their least favorite of the resorts, but I think everyone should try something for themselves. If you want to do a park for the day I would let the resort move your luggage for you that way you are really not moving. We do not unpack on vacation so it was just zipping our luggae grabbing our bags and going to the next hotel.
Animal Kingdom Lodge - 8 nights
Villas at Wilderness Lodge - 2 nights
Old Key West - 2 nights
Art of Animatition - 1 night
2011- Calypso Cay (off property) - 5 nights
Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo - 4 nights
Baylake Tower - 1 night
Saratoga Springs - 3 nights
Boardwalk - 2 nights
2010 - Old Key West - 4 nights
Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo - 4 nights
Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani - 4 nights
2009 - Pop Century - 10 nights
2007 - All Star Music - 8 nights
dgagnon519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #21
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Quick question for those of you who suggested we stay at the airport and still use ME...

If I stay at the Hyatt, where would I go to get the bus? They wouldn't come and pick me up at the Hyatt, right? Or drop me off there? I know the hotel's in (?) the airport; is it far to get from there to the bus area? Can you essentially board any ME bus as long as you have a valid reservation? Last time we flew, we rented a car, so I wasn't sure how ME all worked. Thanks!
IF you stay at the Hyatt upon arrival, for that first night, you will just head over to the B side of the terminal, in the morning, and go down to level 1...ground transportation. Very easy. As long as you have your reservation made, you're good to go.
If you are taking DME back to MCO, and staying at the Hyatt for your last night, you will get the DME bus at BW...I think that's your last resort, right??

If you take DME to WDW, you don't have to worry about which bus...you will be put into the appropriate bus line for your resort whenever you show up. For the ride back to MCO, you will be given a particular pickup time, from the BW. You have to be on that particular bus.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #22
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I know the hotel's in (?) the airport; is it far to get from there to the bus area?
The hotel is fully IN the airport. There are rooms whose doors look out over a main area of the airport just outside the secure areas.

Sometimes split stays have to happen! We're approaching one that is a little bit over the top even in my opinion.

Feb 5th, or really after midnight on the 6th, check in to WL (b/c the Hyatt has rates that are WAY too high those two nights, but we originally had MIL with us for the cruise and she *needed* to come in over a day early so that flight date is set in stone).
7th, check out and go to the Disney Dream.
10th, disembark and go to HRH at Universal.
12th go to Kidani.
15th go to SSR (that change was necessary b/c we're meeting up with extended family, and there's no 2 bedroom anywhere else).
18th, family goes home but the good flights aren't until the 20th (traveling on miles, and I waited too long for the "cheap" flights on the 18th or 19th), and we can't "afford" 2 more nights in the 2 bedroom so we're ending it at POP (my choice, always wanted to stay there!)

A split stay requires precision in packing and unpacking, and requires a plan. If you don't have a plan, you're just throwing things into bags and it's a big mess and takes ages. If you're organized about it, it doesn't take that long.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!

Last edited by bumbershoot; 11-21-2012 at 02:35 PM. Reason: didn't like how something sounded, changed something else to make more sense
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #23
Karabee
DIS Veteran

OP - I LOVE split stays so I think this sounds fun! And this coming from someone who has a carry on with all the clothes and could never ever decide ahead of time which outfit for which day - so you're already ahead on the little details! Of course, I have no kids so moving is pretty easy for us. That being said, have you thought about also staying in a Value on the first or last night? That extra savings could allow you to spend one extra night at the Deluxe? Just a thought, although I know you said the last night is alot more expensive since the deal is over.
Honestly though, your split stay is not that bad since the 2 hotels are right across from one another. I say enjoy and if it doesn't work, you know what not to do next time!
Old 11-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #24
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
A split stay requires precision in packing and unpacking, and requires a plan. If you don't have a plan, you're just throwing things into bags and it's a big mess and takes ages. If you're organized about it, it doesn't take that long.
Amen! I think this is where I fail. Despite my best efforts, my bags get increasingly disorganized with every transfer. In June we did one night off site (free hotel with club points), 5 nights in a treehouse, one night in Daytona, and then 3 at the Boardwalk. It was definitely do able because it was a 10 night stay.

Anyway - to the OP - sounds like you are up for this adventure, so go for it. I think the Hyatt stay on each end is a great idea, but it sounds like you want to see POR too.

Have a great trip. All three are great resorts.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:12 AM   #25
jennybdis
Mouseketeer

It's actually cheaper for us to stay at a moderate than a value. We have five (2 adults, 3 kids), so we would need either two rooms at a value or a family suite, and all of the pricing came up much higher for the value rooms. Go figure. I'm glad--personally, I'd much rather stay at POR than at one of the values.

Thanks for the advice with the Hyatt and ME.

Yeah, one of the reasons why the split stay appealed to us is that we were initially going to do Boardwalk for the full week (non CL level, but with the DDP). But I'm concerned we won't love it as much as we did the Yacht Club, and we'd be longingly gazing over at SAB and the hotels with regret. The deluxe CL stay at Boardwalk will allow us to have a great room there, so even if we don't love the resort quite as much, at least we will have a great room and amenities.
jennybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:22 PM   #26
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Quote:
Hey all,

We've booked our March trip during the last week of the current promotion, and with crunching numbers and flight costs, it makes more sense for us to extend our Sunday to Friday trip and fly on Saturdays, but we have pretty lousy flight times, which means that we will essentially be coming into Disney very late at night on the first night, and leaving first thing in the morning on the day we depart. Since we're staying at the deluxe level, to me, it doesn't make sense to pay more money to sleep at Disney for those nights, so I've book-ended our trip with stays in POR (meaning, we will sleep there the first night we arrive, and the night before we depart).

For the bulk of our trip, my husband and I and our kids couldn't decide between staying at Beach Club and Boardwalk (both new to us--we stayed at Yacht this past summer), and, to complicate matters, we couldn't decide between staying club level or getting the dining plan (but we agreed it would be silly to get both). So, we decided a split stay was the ultimate compromise and would allow us to experience both, so we've decided to spend three nights at Beach with the dining plan, and two nights at Boardwalk at deluxe club level without the dining plan. Insane, right?

So, essentially, we are getting in very late at night on a Saturday, sleeping at POR, transferring to BC in the morning and staying through Wednesday, and then going to BW for two nights, and then transferring to POR once again on Friday night to sleep and catch our flight first thing Saturday morning. (In case you're wondering why we don't just stay at Boardwalk, the promo ends on Friday night, and the room rate is double. I'd pay it if we weren't staying deluxe club level and leaving very first thing in the morning...)

Since we're flying, I usually pack us all a carry-on so we (hopefully) don't need to check any bags. My plan with that is to divvy our clothing up by day and pack them separately: I'll have one carry on that I'll use for POR, two for Yacht, two for Boardwalk and one with pajamas, bathing suits, undies, etc. That way, I will only have one little carry on that will need to be packed for each transfer.

Since my kids are old enough that they can man their own carry on, I may take the extra step to not have Disney move the luggage for us. Even if we can't check into our room when we arrive, at least I'll know where the luggage is.

Crazy? Should I consider an alternate plan? Any tips to ensure this goes as smoothly as I hope?

I did three way split last month. I didn't have any problem transferring but I had a rental car so I could drive over to the new resort with my luggage easily and just check in then go to the park. I was there 7 nights. I didn't have any problem and I'd do it again. If you can do it with minimum fuss and your daily plans are such that the transfers fit in without special or out of the way trips I say go for it.

UPCOMING: 1/15 AllStar Movies WDW

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #27
jnfr2424
I'm Tink I got my Peter Pan and together we love to fly away to Neverland!

We are here right now doing a 3way split we started at the Swan(free nights with SPG points) then we are moving to POP so we can check out AoA and then heading to WL CL

jnfr2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #28
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

I think your idea of having a suitcase for each of the hotels + your "undies/toiletries" suitcase is what will make this do-able.

I also think having a car will make this more do-able---I read the thread & I didn't see any info about rental car but I could have missed it. Disney transferring luggage can take some time, so make sure that if you don't have a car and need to have them transfer 5 bags between the various hotels that you have some kid of bag that you carry stuff in on transfer day that you might need at the new hotel before your luggage arrives there...for example, bathing suits in case you guys want to swim.

With a rental car and the separate suitcases, you just grab the suitcase you need for the hotel you're in + your toiletries etc. suitcase & leave the rest right in the car. I'd go one step further and get one of those roll up toiletries bags for the actual toiletries. That way you use the toiletry, put it back in its pocket in the bag. Keeps the sink area neat, and the next day you just roll it up and it's ready to go.

The key is keeping everything neat and very well oragized so you can get in and out of each hotel quickly.

Do you have a bag for souvenirs?
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~

Last edited by Disney Doll; 11-23-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #29
Hooked On The Mouse
DIS Veteran

Location: Thigh-high in snow half the year, up to the eyeballs in mosquitos the other half

I get that split stays aren't for everybody, but I don't think you're crazy at all. We always do splits now because we get to experience more resorts and not miss out on our old favourites. I also don't really get the idea that you'll lose time by moving. We have always found it to be very quick and easy-wake up in one resort and go to bed in another! In between we spend a full day in the parks like we always do. I think it depends on how people "live" in a hotel room. If people unpack and stretch out and kind of organize things like they do at home, it probably would take a lot of time to pack up and unpack again. We have each person's clothes for each day in a separate large freezer bag labelled with the date, which might sound strange but really cuts the time for unpacking and even dressing 3 kids in the morning. This year we are doing multi "splits"; 2 nights in Daytona Beach followed by 2 nights at Portofino Bay at Universal, followed by 3 nights AOA, followed by 4 nights Kidani. I hope you will enjoy your split stay as much as we always have!

Hooked On The Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #30
chemnerd09
Mouseketeer

You're not crazy. I've been going to WDW over 23 years and never had a trip where we stayed all in one place, except the upcoming one in March. We usually do split stays because of pricing and promotions or we decided to go down one night earlier and the original hotel wasn't available that night. As long as you keep things organized like you said, I don't think you would have any problems. We drive ourselves down, so having our own car really makes it easy to switch resorts. We also don't unpack our suitcases when we stay so its just a matter of rearranging more than packing when its time to leave. Have a great time and be patient. I've found patience to be key to fully enjoying our trips.

chemnerd09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: