Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #16
Jewel3k
Mouseketeer

I buy a half size larger in running shoes to help with swelling feet.
Jewel3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #17
tcp0421
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandtimect
DH the podiatrist recommends buying a relatively firm arch support over the counter, and putting it in a good walking shoe like New Balance. Don't get an athletic looking shoe or basetball shoe. For the swelling you can wear support hose that go to the knee. Take 2 ibuprofen before you get to the park, and then again every 6 hours if you need it and can tolerate them. You should also ice the painful areas after you leave the park. Obviously, you also want to see a good podiatrist! Happy Thanksgiving!
Thank you for the suggestion. I always give myself some sort of foot massage after the Parks. Last time I wanted to just fill the bathtub with ice and soak my feet. Yes I am going to call a dr soon also.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-22-2012, 02:42 PM   #18
tcp0421
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewel3k
I buy a half size larger in running shoes to help with swelling feet.
I also am very sensitive. I tend to get blisters. I think if I bought a bigger size it would irritate that problem. I just can't win.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:50 PM   #19
mrsksomeday
My Prince uses a power wheelchair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcp0421

I also am very sensitive. I tend to get blisters. I think if I bought a bigger size it would irritate that problem. I just can't win.
Do you do anything to prevent the blisters like moisture wicking socks or body glide? I use both. They have kept me blister free for our past 11 trips.
mrsksomeday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:56 PM   #20
tcp0421
DIS Veteran

Yes I do use the socks but have not used the body glide. What is it?
Old 11-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #21
Tink575
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcp0421 View Post
Yes I do use the socks but have not used the body glide. What is it?
Body Glide is sold in sporting goods stores and looks like solid deodorant. Less is more, don't use so much that your foot skids as it will lead to blisters. It does help.

I think your best bet is to see if you can get orthotic insoles made by your podiatrist, and then insert them in walking shoes that he recommends. Many insurance plans will cover orthotics for various conditions.

Good luck, I have neuropathy and have fractured a bone in my foot and that place is still painful etc. so I can definitely sympathize with your problem.

Next visit hopefully in Sept. 2014
Offsite 1975; Offsite 1986; 30? other trips; 2006 - Present: Part-time resident
Tink575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #22
tcp0421
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink575

Body Glide is sold in sporting goods stores and looks like solid deodorant. Less is more, don't use so much that your foot skids as it will lead to blisters. It does help.

I think your best bet is to see if you can get orthotic insoles made by your podiatrist, and then insert them in walking shoes that he recommends. Many insurance plans will cover orthotics for various conditions.

Good luck, I have neuropathy and have fractured a bone in my foot and that place is still painful etc. so I can definitely sympathize with your problem.
Its hard I am only 36. I have two young girls ages 10 and 7. I can't tell them I'm not going to Disney. We are annual pass holders so I want to get my moneys worth.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #23
jimjenkids
Mouseketeer

I too had surgeries in jr high and high school, causing foot/leg pain. I have been diagnosed with RSD and planter facitis(spelling is wrong )....going to Disney made me excited yet sick when thinking of the pain I could feel from it. I have since gone with a mid weight ankle sock(always new for the trip) and for shoes, I like a good Saucony walking shoe(white leather) but have also liked the New Balance walking shoe(if I can get a wide-it allows for some swelling with out having to buy it a size larger)....take the motrin before you go to the parks and every 6 hrs and take a break when you need to ....When at Disney I do end up taking perscription strength.....It is a magical place and I hate complaining-I just want to see the kids having fun.

2012:xmas-Pop century, 2010:CBC, 2008:ASMovie, 2000:Movies, 1999: sports, 1995:POF, 1984:Polly

jimjenkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #24
tcp0421
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjenkids
I too had surgeries in jr high and high school, causing foot/leg pain. I have been diagnosed with RSD and planter facitis(spelling is wrong )....going to Disney made me excited yet sick when thinking of the pain I could feel from it. I have since gone with a mid weight ankle sock(always new for the trip) and for shoes, I like a good Saucony walking shoe(white leather) but have also liked the New Balance walking shoe(if I can get a wide-it allows for some swelling with out having to buy it a size larger)....take the motrin before you go to the parks and every 6 hrs and take a break when you need to ....When at Disney I do end up taking perscription strength.....It is a magical place and I hate complaining-I just want to see the kids having fun.
That is how I am I don't want to complain I know my girls are having a blast. By the end of the day I am just so miserable though. I have bone spurs removed ( I think they may call them something else now). I know they wanted to do one more surgery on me back in high school but at the time I was just done after already having three surgeries done I didn't want anymore! I took tap and jazz lessons from age 3 until I was 19. Dr said that's what killed my feet. Then along came crocs which I'm guessing now made my feet even worse.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:13 AM   #25
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne M View Post
Have you seen a podiatrist? It sounds like you have severe problems with your feet that need to be treated before you worry about what shoes to wear to Disney.
I agree - you should see a podiatrist, because it sounds like you do have a severe problem. There are many things that can go wrong with feet (speaking as someone who just had achilles tendon and heel surgery ten days ago!). Only a real foot doctor can diagnose your problem and suggest the appropriate solution.

You'll get tons of different opinions on a chat board, depending on the poster's personal experiences, but it's not the best place to get what amounts to medical advice for a significant issue.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:15 AM   #26
Unca_Scrooge
I'm not an Uncle but I am a Scrooge.

You want some Teva sandals.
They are not "flip-flops" nor that molded rubber croc crap.
Unca_Scrooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:01 AM   #27
tcp0421
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoZo

I agree - you should see a podiatrist, because it sounds like you do have a severe problem. There are many things that can go wrong with feet (speaking as someone who just had achilles tendon and heel surgery ten days ago!). Only a real foot doctor can diagnose your problem and suggest the appropriate solution.

You'll get tons of different opinions on a chat board, depending on the poster's personal experiences, but it's not the best place to get what amounts to medical advice for a significant issue.
What was wrong with your foot? I'm sorry you must be in a ton of pain. I remember how painful it was to get my feet operated on.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:48 AM   #28
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcp0421

Bigger shoes will not a blister make. They will help. Also making sure you're using a wicking compression sock will help keep blisters and swelling away. After a long day in the parks pour a couple of buckets of ice into your tub, add some water and ice your feet. And see a doctor asap, every day you wait to see a doctor is a day you have more feet problems.

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:20 AM   #29
tcp0421
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessallegra

Bigger shoes will not a blister make. They will help. Also making sure you're using a wicking compression sock will help keep blisters and swelling away. After a long day in the parks pour a couple of buckets of ice into your tub, add some water and ice your feet. And see a doctor asap, every day you wait to see a doctor is a day you have more feet problems.
I get blisters just walking for just a little while.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #30
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcp0421 View Post
What was wrong with your foot? I'm sorry you must be in a ton of pain. I remember how painful it was to get my feet operated on.
Thanks for asking! Achilles' tendon repair and removal of a big bone spur on the back of my heel. Luckily I'm having a good recovery and only had to take pain meds for four days, so I'm doing well now. Just can't put any weight on my foot for four weeks post-surgery. Thank goodness for those great little "knee scooters" - much easier than crutches. And I'm enjoying my thee weeks off from work!

Happy holidays!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: