Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #16
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
We never use to take a break before. Without a break, we'd be done with the parks around 7pm. too tired to go on. then we switched it up and decided to take breaks. Its so much better that way! We swim, or just chill out in the room. Quite often im the one napping while my DS12 does his own thing. LOL! We love the midday breaks!! We can stay out much later that way, and we're in a much better mood overall. Youre on vacation, do what you want.

Our last two trips were kind of commando and I really want this one to be more relaxed (it's my birthday trip!). It's also shorter than our other two family trips and dh and I are planning on hitting favorites rather than everything. I know the kids will want to swim. It's as much fun for them as the parks. I think I will plan for the afternoon swims and then just change midway if it's not working. We'll be there at the beginning of February so I don't think our plan should have to be too rigid, other than those darn ADR's!

Planning a 2014 trip to celebrate our son's 10th!
February 6th - February 12th 2013 ~ Port Orleans Riverside ~ Mom's Birthday Trip!
October 26th - November 7th 2011 ~ Off site ~ Second Family Trip
January 26th - February 4th 2010 ~ Off site ~ First Family Trip
April 2004 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter
August 2002 ~ Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon!)
cheryterese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #17
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

By the way, Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I'm actually cooking - and checking internet in between! Everyone is coming here in another hour and a half. Have a great day all!

February 6th - February 12th 2013 ~ Port Orleans Riverside ~ Mom's Birthday Trip!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #18
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
I'm 26 and still need a mid-day break. We usually stay at POR also. We get to the parks at RD, leave around lunch and go back to the resort to swim and relax. We then shower and get cleaned up and go back out to a park for dinner. We were usually back at the resort by 10 or 11 but could have been back by 9 if we wanted to. The mid-day break is the only thing that kept me going after being up early and all the walking all day. Plus, afternoons are the warmest time of day and also the most crowded so it got us out of the parks during that time. I'd say it took us 35-40 minutes to travel on the buses including waiting for it, but sometimes it was shorter and rarely was it longer.
We have always taken a mid-day break, even with teens. They might not sleep, but always go to the pool or just chill in the room. I totally agree with the above poster, taking a break in the day will re-charge you for rope drop everyday. Especially if your kids are not night owls. The best touring is to get up early, take a break and then come back until you are ready to head back.

Your bus time will depend on location of the park you are at that day and your luck of when you arrive at the bus stop and how quickly the bus comes. I agree with above times. Sometimes we got lucky and it took 15min total, sometimes we waited for a bus and it was 45min total.

May 2005 AKL Pool view
July 2010 Poly Standard view- WDW and US
Aug 2012 YC Pool view- WDW, US and BG
Oct 2013 Poly Cl Lagoon view- WDW and US
Oct 2014 BW CL BW View- WDW and US

The Smith's take on the Poly- TR
heidijanesmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #19
GillianP1301
DIS Veteran

I say follow your kids lead and do what works best for them. If a midday break if enough to get them ready to head back to the parks for the evening, then go for it. I would think 3 hours is probably the time you're looking at for being away between transportation and swimming.

With my DS4, the midday break didn't work well for him. He is not a night owl at all and starts to fade at 7 and is in bed by 8, when we're at home. So on our last trip, we had the most success with starting with an early ADR for breakfast and doing that park until he was done/too tired. Some days that was mid afternoon, some days it was supper time, whenever that was, we'd head back to the resort and he'd enjoy the rest of his awake time in the pool. The one exception was the night we did the Wishes Dessert Party, we did the midday break and he loved swimming in the afternoon. The problem was, he wasn't all that keen on heading back to the park at 6:00 and it was a bit of a fight to get him there. He ended up enjoying the party and was the one time he saw the fireworks, but he was totally wrecked the next morning because he wasn't in bed until almost 11:00.
Caribbean Beach Resort - Aug 2012 - First visit with DS4
Disneyland - 2003 - Solo business trip
WDW Offsite - 1997 - 5th Anniversary
WDW Offsite - 1992 - Honeymooon
WDW Offsite - 1986 - First WDW trip
GillianP1301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #20
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Tink View Post
Just a thought - if you are taking the break because your kids want to swim, and consider that part of the Disney experience, great.

But if you are taking the break to give your kids some rest/downtime...I wouldn't expect it to function that way. Getting out of the park, back to the resort, changing, swimming (exhausting), changing again, getting back to the parks, etc. is a lot of walking and a takes a lot of energy and is probably more tiring than just staying in the park and doing some easy stuff in the afternoon (like Hall of Presidents or Ellen's Energy Adventure or a show at DHS).
Agree, we tried RD and breaks on our last trip for the first time in all our trips, we hated it. You do not relax this way and it was so hot, pool did not feel refreshing. We back to our original strategy, sleep in late, swim, enjoy hotel and getting to parks in afternoon till fireworks. We found that we still can do a lot this way, although RD obviously gives you more.

DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
KellyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:46 PM   #21
DisneyGal24
Always dreaming of Disney!

We always take a midday break. We leave the parks by noon and return by 3 or 4 and stay for a couple of hours. We usually swim, check out the resort, trade pins/vinylmations and hang out in the room. It really works for us and the kids enjoy swimming. We hit RD and use EMH. The kids early risers so we get in bed between 8 and 9. Of course we don't have to go commando because we stay for 10 days.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #22
AlohaAnnie
DIS Veteran

We kind of play it by ear. If we feel we can make it we stay at the park and head back for an early evening after dinner.

If it is way too hot like in June when we go or if everyone seems tired, we head back after lunch, swim, nap, shower and we will return to the park in the evening.

POR June 2006 POP May/June 2008 CBR Pirate Room & BC May/June 2009 Vero Beach & CSR & AKV Kidani May/June 2010 BLT Oct 2010 BWV March/April 2011 AKV Kidani Dec 2011 BCV/BLT June 2013
WL CL & AKV - Jambo Studio CL March/April2014

June 2013 Dining Report PTR Spring Break 2014
AlohaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #23
GusGus77
DIS Veteran

I think you would have to try it and see what works and play it by ear. For my family it seemed like a great idea on paper with the little ones. It didn't work that way. We found if we came back to swim and such we usually did not have the motivation to go back to the parks and the kids were worn out from the swimming. Swimming at night worked out much better for us. At home the kids are up early (6:30-7am) on the their own since they are not in school and don't have to get up at any particular time and go to bed by 7 (they STILL get up early even if they go to bed later!!!) at Disney, they liked to sleep until 8:30 and then were up until 10pm. TOTALLY different than at home.

I hope you have a great trip!
GusGus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:58 PM   #24
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
The big issue is when are you going. Some weeks in Feb they have pretty short hours, so the parks such as AK will only be open until 6 (I have seen 5) so you only have 9 hours of park time. MK until maybe 8.
l agree - to me it depends on how late the parks are open. I find the "take an afternoon break" advice only works when the parks are open pretty late. You'll often even see advice from people that says you should return to the parks "after dinner" -- but that doesn't work if the park closes at 7:00!

I go in October, and regular closing times for the parks range from 5:00 (AK) to 9:00 (Epcot) -- pretty early. I skip afternoon breaks because I feel they eat into prime park time. I'd rather be in the parks all day then go back to the resort after dinner (and sometimes hit the pool after dinner).
Old 11-23-2012, 02:28 AM   #25
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

My husband and I took our grandson down there last Feb and stayed at POFQ. Both my GS and me are early risers, so we dragged my husband out of bed every morning and made every single rope drop or else did an early morning character breakfast. We then took a break everyday, right after lunch. When the parks started getting crowded, we knew it was time to leave. Our GS loved the pool and even though he never takes a nap at home, took a nap every day after swimming. He'd start off playing quietly on the bed with his toys, but within a few minutes was asleep. His grandpa napped too. While they were sleeping, I read on my Kindle. After they woke up, everyone was relaxed and ready to go to dinner and do more park time. It worked out well for us.

Heck, as an AP holder, I go to WDW 4-6 times a year and several of those trips are solo trips. Even on my solo trips I usually go back to the room, shower, get cooled off, read, and relax in the afternoons. That way I'm recharged for dinner and am not as exhausted at the end of the trip. At home, I work night shift and sleep in the afternoons, so need a rest in the afternoon, even if I don't go to sleep down there.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #26
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee View Post
My husband and I took our grandson down there last Feb and stayed at POFQ. Both my GS and me are early risers, so we dragged my husband out of bed every morning and made every single rope drop or else did an early morning character breakfast. We then took a break everyday, right after lunch. When the parks started getting crowded, we knew it was time to leave. Our GS loved the pool and even though he never takes a nap at home, took a nap every day after swimming. He'd start off playing quietly on the bed with his toys, but within a few minutes was asleep. His grandpa napped too. While they were sleeping, I read on my Kindle. After they woke up, everyone was relaxed and ready to go to dinner and do more park time. It worked out well for us.

Heck, as an AP holder, I go to WDW 4-6 times a year and several of those trips are solo trips. Even on my solo trips I usually go back to the room, shower, get cooled off, read, and relax in the afternoons. That way I'm recharged for dinner and am not as exhausted at the end of the trip. At home, I work night shift and sleep in the afternoons, so need a rest in the afternoon, even if I don't go to sleep down there.

How did you find the pool temp in February? We will be there Feb 6 -12th. I figure the air will be cool but am not sure what to expect about the pool water. Thanks!

After reading through all of these replies and all of the great points I think I will make 2 plans (I love to plan, so it's not a hardship lol!) - one where we stay all day and swim at night and the other where we take a midday break. For our 1 AK day I'm just planning to stay all day. The park is open until 7 (so far, anyway, with the schedule that's posted for February now). I'll also see how the weather forecast is looking the week ahead. My kids are always up by 7:30, so RD is pretty much a given.

I made all of our ADR's for dinner, so that will work with either schedule - we can either return for dinner or leave after dinner.

I was just checking out both of the pools at PO and my kids will be so excited! They don't know about the trip yet. We will be surprising them with it on New Year's Eve!

Old 11-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #27
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Why not let your kids be the guide. If they really want to go back to the resort to swim, why force them to stay in the parks.

How do you describe "worth". for me any activity is "worth" it, if everyone is enjoying themselves and having a good time. If it's at the pool as opposed to the parks, that's where it's at.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #28
chartle
DIS Veteran

I guess the issue for us was we have (really had since my boys don't go anymore) a local municipal pool so swimming isn't that big a deal.

I have heard stories of kids in the parks whining about when they were going to go back to the pool at the hotel because its such a big deal.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #29
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

We have done this for our last few trips. Since we have gone so many times, we don't feel the need to ram at the parks from rope drop till closing, and can take a much more leisurely pace. We find that going back to the pool in the afternoon is completely worth it! And we have done it at many different resorts as well.

Dec 1988 - First Trip! * 1989 * 1990 * 1992 - Polynesian * 1996 - ASMu - Dance Trip for Disney's Magic Music Days * Dec 2002 - DCL Wonder & ASMo * March 2004 * March 2005 - Pop * August 2007 - ASMu * September 2010 - Grand Floridian - Wedding/Honeymoon Trip! * August 2011 - AKL Kidani Village * December 2012 - CSR

Krysten Michael Evelyn and Scarlett Mommy to an Angel

Disney9.9.10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #30
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

I think that with your attitude it would work fine. You are most concerned about the kids getting to do what they want. I think that you need to be prepared that it will take about 4 hours out of your day. Only you can decide if that is ok or not. We have a pool at home so swimming at WDW is just not a biggie so not an issue. We sometime take a break mid day and though we don't really nap, we dim the lights and lay on the bed and watch a little TV. Early February can be cold so have a back up plan. Pools are heated but getting out is COLD. Swimming at night would be worse of course.
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: