Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #16
pouncingpluto
2005 WDW Bride

Every airline I've flown (at least United, Delta, JetBlue, Southwest, Airtran) since my daughter was born has gate checked strollers for free.

Buy an inexpensive gate-check bag for your stroller or if there is a bag that is made for your stroller, get it. That way it will stay clean. And gate-check is typically gentler handling than checking with your luggage.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #17
Kevin1281
Earning My Ears

[QUOTE

Buy an inexpensive gate-check bag for your stroller or if there is a bag that is made for your stroller, get it. That way it will stay clean. And gate-check is typically gentler handling than checking with your luggage.[/QUOTE]

Good idea! I will look into this.
Kevin1281 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #18
jworthy
Mouseketeer

Done both, but we prefer to rent offsite. Our youngest is 4 now, but when she was an infant we took her stroller. We never had a problem with the airlines. Kingdom Strollers offers great strollers with accessories at great prices.

1/02 CBR/BC Disneymoon
3/05 offsite
1/06 POR Anniversary
1/07 CSR Anniversary
11/08 POP
1/11 POR
10/12 POP
coming soon 11/14 POP
jworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #19
Bellestreak
Mouseketeer

I have done both bringing my stroller and renting one from offsite. I liked offsite better but when I did it the kiddo was nearly 4 and handled the walks in the airport fine. Renting offsite is great, just pick it up and drop it with bell services and you have it the whole time, also the one we rented was a little on the bigger side and took my taller than average daughter easily. It also folded faster than any stroller I own.
That being said, I have never had a problem gate checking my strollers and have done it several times. It's easy and fast. So I would choose based on need in the airport.

Samsam, you said you were going to be bringing two car seats on the plane, have you looked into the Cares system? It's basically an approved harness system that just works on the plane seat. We used one when DD was 14 months and it was great. It's straps in a little bag and way easier than lugging a full size car seat (or 2 in your case ). We were nervous at first and requested early boarding to get it in place, but didnt need it as it was super easy to use. If you had them, may free you up to take strollers.
Bellestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #20
Keegansmommy
Mouseketeer

Definitely bring our own. I don't want the added expense of renting something I already own and it is a HUGE help in the airport. We always gate check our stroller. The only thing with that is if you have a connecting flight, sometimes it can take awhile for them to get the stroller off the plane. We've cut it close a few times making it to our next flight.

So much fun we're going AGAIN!

1985 - offsite 2004 - All Star Music (honeymoon)
1991 - offsite 2006 - All Star Sports
1998 - offsite 2008 - Pop Century
2009 - Pop Century
2010 - Pop Century
2011 - Port Orleans French Quarter
2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter
2013 - Leaving New Year's Day! Surprise Christmas present for our boys. - Port Orleans French Quarter
Keegansmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:08 AM   #21
DsnyMama
DIS Veteran

We gate checked a stroller once and will never, EVER do it again. It was a nearly $300 Maclaren and it was torn up beyond use. The frame completely bent, the canopy ripped straight down the middle, and the wheel dented so that it wouldn't roll... Delta so wonderfully comped us $50.... Yeah... NEVER again..... We are renting this year - $95 for 11 days, double City Mini (same as we have at home), parent console, cooler, and insurance.

Up Next: October2014
Feb 2014 TR - click HERE
DsnyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:38 AM   #22
ourpartyofsix
Mouseketeer

Prefer to bring our own. I like having it to corral kids and things at the airport and save the money on renting.

9 8 6 2
ourpartyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #23
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUfan4444 View Post
We bring our stroller and do not check it. They do not count it as part of your luggage. You just have to get a tag for it, wheel it to the door of the plane and pick it up as you walk off the plane.
I think that's called "gate check" and it seems to be a great idea for parents with strollers etc.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:19 AM   #24
jodeeb
Mouseketeer

OP i didnt see how old your child is. Our first trip to WDW our youngest was 22mo. We rented the strollers from at the park and carried her to and from the park when she didnt want to walk. We did have a carrier for her. It was a belt with a flap of sturdy fabric attached to another strap that whent over the head and attached to the belt. We still had to hold her, but it really relieved most of the weight in the arms a redistributed onto the hip. It really helped when standing in lines. We also didnt have to deal with getting a stroller on and off the bus or monorail. Also, no hassle with a stroller at the airport.

Its been 8 years since we went so I couldnt find the exact one, but here is one with the same idea.

http://www.dhgate.com/p-ff80808128ed...FeGDQgodORAAgg
Old 11-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #25
mslhb
Mouseketeer

I vote bring your own. I have flown with a stroller many times and have always been able to gate check it as you board the plane. Super easy! You mentioned car seats.... I would check those and not carry them onto the plane. They take up a lot of room. I used a car seat on a plane for one trip when my DD was 18 months. It was helpful then since I was by myself and at 18 months DD was super squirmy. The carseat helped set the tone of staying strapped in one place. Like I said though the carseat took up a lot of room and you cannot put the tray down with it . Past age 2 became my cut-off for not using a carseat on the plane.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #26
Kevin1281
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodeeb View Post
OP i didnt see how old your child is. Our first trip to WDW our youngest was 22mo. We rented the strollers from at the park and carried her to and from the park when she didnt want to walk. We did have a carrier for her. It was a belt with a flap of sturdy fabric attached to another strap that whent over the head and attached to the belt. We still had to hold her, but it really relieved most of the weight in the arms a redistributed onto the hip. It really helped when standing in lines. We also didnt have to deal with getting a stroller on and off the bus or monorail. Also, no hassle with a stroller at the airport.

Its been 8 years since we went so I couldnt find the exact one, but here is one with the same idea.

http://www.dhgate.com/p-ff80808128ed...FeGDQgodORAAgg
Sweet. Thanks jodeeb. I will look into the belt.

My son will be 18 months at the time of our trip.
Kevin1281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #27
disneynewbee
DIS Veteran

We took our single stroller with us but one day of the trip we decided to look into renting a double so the 6yo could get a break. They wanted 30 dollars a day for the double so I said heck no. I think the singles were 15 but still its a lot. Make sure if you take yours that it folds up compactly for bus rides. We drove this trip but we gate checked our stroller on a previous trip with no problems.

10/2004 ASMo, 11/2006 POP, 10/2009 POP, 11/2012 POP
disneynewbee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: