Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #16
doylehd
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the info and replies! I have seen it done in the past which why I asked. Doesn't mean I plan on doing it or disobeying ship's rules. I was just curious.

Heather
doylehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #17
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by schimj View Post
Who exactly were you planning on seeing the lights? The ship is out at sea during times when the lights would be on. Also, as everyone else as said, you can't (shouldn't) do it.

I would see them from inside the cabin. I read that I can bring battery operated lights, and I plan to hang them inside the porthole or on the veranda door, depending on which cabin we get.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #18
n8tivecaligirl
Mouseketeer

Yeah I was going to plan to hang them in our porthole. They are battery operated. Since we can't hang them on our door as decoration, the porthole is the next best thing!

n8tivecaligirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #19
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8tivecaligirl View Post
Yeah I was going to plan to hang them in our porthole. They are battery operated. Since we can't hang them on our door as decoration, the porthole is the next best thing!
Are you allowed to use tape on the inside of the port holes, or would that peel off the paint? Wondering what would be safe to use. I'm assuming you can put tape on the glass, or would the stateroom host remove that?
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #20
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Pretty sure you are not permitted to use tape or adhesive on the walls or frames. I know they prohibit using it on the doors.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #21
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
Are you allowed to use tape on the inside of the port holes, or would that peel off the paint? Wondering what would be safe to use. I'm assuming you can put tape on the glass, or would the stateroom host remove that?
My best guess - tape OK on the window itself, not on the frame. Yes, it could pull the paint off.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #22
mytripsandraces
DIS Veteran

I don't think you're allowed to bring any lights, battery-operated or otherwise. They're on the list of prohibited items, but not listed as an exception. http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/fa...hibited-items/
Old 11-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #23
mousebrat
DIS Veteran

There are many reasons that seasonal lights of any kind are not allowed on the exterior of the ship. In addition to those mentioned, there is increased fire risk and blinking colored lights anywhere other than the bow or stern of a ship can create a navigational safety issue.

June 2, 2012 Disney Magic NYC

Wishing we could call the Grand Floridian home...
mousebrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:41 PM   #24
n8tivecaligirl
Mouseketeer

I was going to use suction cups, lol.

n8tivecaligirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #25
loucks96
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytripsandraces
I don't think you're allowed to bring any lights, battery-operated or otherwise. They're on the list of prohibited items, but not listed as an exception. http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/fa...hibited-items/
Oh drat! I got a tiny tree (18" or so) and a string of 50 lights for our cabin :-( only planned on plugging in while actually IN the cabin.... but now I guess not.
loucks96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:35 AM   #26
chateau
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousebrat View Post
blinking colored lights anywhere other than the bow or stern of a ship can create a navigational safety issue.
that made me laugh..... no possible way Christmas light could be bright enough unless you're a Griswald!
chateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #27
NMMickeymom
Mouseketeer

We cruised Carnival the Christmas before last and were called over the ship wide announcement to come to the guest service desk. We were met by security who did not like the battery operated lights I had hung on our mail thingy. Fire hazard. Eeeek! They said nothing about the battery lights I had on my itty bitty tree inside our cabin. We laughed about it later but felt kind of silly about the whole thing. The easiest decorations we had were the metallic garland. I was able to stuff tons of the stuff in a zip lock baggie. A lot of bang for your buck. Happy Decorating!

Lots of family trips as a kid to DL, Dland '89, WDW '96, WDW Poly '98, DLH '99,WDW '00,WDW All Star Music '01, DLH '03, Dland DLH '04, WDW Port Orleans Dec '05, Dland GCH Dec '06, WDW Contemporary May '08, March 09 Disney Wonder 4 night + Polynesian, Nov '09 Disney Wonder 3 night, DLH 6 nights June '10, Dec '10, Carnival Mexican Riveria, DLH 4 nights Dec '12, Poly + Disney Fantasy Eastern June '12, Dland Paradise Pier June '13
NMMickeymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:18 AM   #28
gigi1313
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2Jax View Post
I can see the reasoning for lights, and things hanging... But I never saw that you weren't supposed to put anything... We kept our stroller out there when not in use, folded up, along the side wall.
Us too! And I asked permission at guest svcs, and they told me it was fine, but because we were starboard side, to bring it in for fireworks.
PC & GF CL Jan '11POR Nov '11 DCL Fantasy May '12 BWalk&ASM Jan '13 PC Sept '13
DCL Magic B2B Jan '14DCL Magic May '14 DCL Dream August '14 DCL Fantasy Jan '15
gigi1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:14 PM   #29
mousebrat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chateau View Post
that made me laugh..... no possible way Christmas light could be bright enough unless you're a Griswald!
It is pretty silly, but the rule is out there and there are many ports that will fine a ship for a rule violation, no matter how trivial. We once had some stuff on our balcony and were told to just make sure it was in before the pilot boat came out to meet the ship.

Your comment made me laugh - we have several neighbors who go Griswald style and I could only imagine what they could do with a ship balcony.

June 2, 2012 Disney Magic NYC

Wishing we could call the Grand Floridian home...
mousebrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #30
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

Like the ship isn't already decorated enough???

Enjoy all the ones that Disney has all over... bring some non flammable decorations to put on your door or around the room..

But be nice when hanging anything... the Stateroom host has to clean it up...

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: